Dr. Ho and Dr. Jensen Board Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doughy315

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am sure their have been discussions on the Dr. Ho's Oral Board Review Course and Dr. Jensen Board Review Course. I am planning on taking my Oral Board Exam on September 28th 2017. My question is, "Is it better to do both courses or just one course either Ho or Jensen." If only one,which one ? I think I have the medical knowledge to pass the oral board but my problems is organizing my thoughts enough to know what I am talking about. This became evident during my mock orals at my institution. As of right now, I work in the PP world where I have to submit my vacation schedule for next year. Ideally I would like to do a Ho course in May then do a Jensen course before my oral exam in September. However, I also think that this is may be overkill and may need just to practice with just oral boards. So I am asking any recent exam takers that have taking either course to chime in and give me their basic feedback.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Just Ho and lots of practice

Many here will likely tell you even the Ho course is overkill

Is there a neither option?

Seriously, I would (and I did, BTW) just pair up with others and go through mock oral situations. If you are close with or have access to board examiners or other experienced attending at your current/old training location, all the better. They can give you helpful tips. I probably did about 20 mock exams with my attendings during fellowship. The only supplement I used was Yao and Artesia for studying. This can save a lot of money and give you just as good of a shot of passing your boards.

Just my opinion, though. There is probably no difference in which course is better

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did Jensen mostly to get a break from the kids and wife.

Reactions: 1 users
do not waste your hard earned money on these courses. i thought ultimate board prep books were pretty straight forward. the most important thing is to practice with other people. the more mock exams you do with attendings and coresidents the most likely you'll pass.

I second that! You do not not need any course. The key is a bunch of practice exams period! If you do a bunch of Ultimate Board prep books/stems you will be fine.

Lots of threads about this, search the forum.

I took the Ho course. It was OK. It was 4 days of doing many exams, and watching other people take exams. Some did well and some made absurd mistakes. But I benefited from it.

I didn't have to pay for it. I also didn't have colleagues to practice with in person since I was working solo that year. If I'd had to write the check, and if I'd had better practice options, maybe my perspective would be different. I also passed, which surely colors my retrospective view of it all.

Verbal practice, however you get it done, is the key. It's a test you have to practice for. You can't just study for it.

Ultimate Board Prep and any willing participant to help you talk through your answers should be plenty. My wife was my study partner and she is non-medical. However she could tell when I was BSing an answer and stumbling vs giving a concise explanation that made sense.

Ho and Jensen are wastes of $$$.

Reactions: 1 users
echo what others have said. Don't take any courses unless you've already failed once or have severe social anxiety that will cause you to falter under pressure. If I were to choose ONE thing to get it is Ultimate board prep. You need the volume of practice exams they give you. Do A LOT of them.

Hello Everyone, I am sure their have been discussions on the Dr. Ho's Oral Board Review Course and Dr. Jensen Board Review Course. I am planning on taking my Oral Board Exam on September 28th 2017. My question is, "Is it better to do both courses or just one course either Ho or Jensen." If only one,which one ? I think I have the medical knowledge to pass the oral board but my problems is organizing my thoughts enough to know what I am talking about. This became evident during my mock orals at my institution. As of right now, I work in the PP world where I have to submit my vacation schedule for next year. Ideally I would like to do a Ho course in May then do a Jensen course before my oral exam in September. However, I also think that this is may be overkill and may need just to practice with just oral boards. So I am asking any recent exam takers that have taking either course to chime in and give me their basic feedback.

thanks
I usually am against courses for the orals but in this situation, I disagree with the others here. If you feel you need one, do it. Not to be offensive, but based on your post, it seems english is not your first language. I was lucky enough to train at a program with a lot of actual ABA oral examiners so I did a bunch of mocks with them and didn't take a course and passed easily. But I've seen non-native speakers who I know are very knowledgeable have a lot of trouble with this exam and understandably so. Obviously practice is key but I think certain people can benefit from a course. This isn't a test you want to take again.