texan2414

5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I first came across Dr. Oliver Sacks' works in my medical humanities class when we read "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat". It was certainly an amazing read. Also, I listened to Fresh Air's interview with him on NPR and its amazing some of the stuff he has been through (including taking hallucinogenic drugs for experimentation, etc.)

Truly saddened to hear he passed away. He certainly drew me to Neurology and I had an amazing time shadowing neurologists.

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Wow, just two days ago I just picked up The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat to reread after many years. Sad news

Cotterpin

Gluconeogenesis Evangelion
2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Oh no! I read The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat in high school. And I've got a copy of Awakenings burning a hole in my bookshelf waiting to be read. He's always been an inspiration to me. Thanks to Dr. Sacks, I will never forget what prosopagnosia is.

May 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Very sad, but unfortunately expected. His recent writings on the topic of his terminal illness are very interesting, and absolutely worth reading.

I was introduced to "uncle tungsten" late in elementary school. Definitely made a big mark on me.