Dr. Puder Psychiatry Psychotherapy podcast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alemo

Snowflake Millennial
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been listening to David Puder’s podcast on psych topics, and I’ve got mixed feelings about it. Production wise it’s pretty meh. Suffers from rambling sentences with bad “information to word” ratio. I also get a weird vibe from a lot of the contributors and Dr Puder himself. But he covers a lot of interesting topics, especially with respect to emotions and psychotherapy.

He does oversimplify concepts and occasionally give misinformation (like saying echopraxia is “when the patient says the same thing over and over again”).

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

How about any legitimately good podcasts? I love textbooks but it’s hard to read and drive

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How about any legitimately good podcasts? I love textbooks but it’s hard to read and drive
Only 3 episodes so far, but interesting and well-produced: ‎Ten to the Fifteenth: The Official Podcast of the National Neuroscience Curriculum Initiative (NNCI) on Apple Podcasts

Some of these would apear to have merit as well, but don't know about them personally--
Untitled.png

Reactions: 2 users
JAACAP has an editor reading some of the articles that I find convenient. Not really amazing if you read the journal but can be a nice listen during a commute. I believe APA has a similar setup. Very interested in anyone else's recommendations

I’ve been listening to David Puder’s podcast on psych topics, and I’ve got mixed feelings about it. Production wise it’s pretty meh. Suffers from rambling sentences with bad “information to word” ratio. I also get a weird vibe from a lot of the contributors and Dr Puder himself. But he covers a lot of interesting topics, especially with respect to emotions and psychotherapy.

He does oversimplify concepts and occasionally give misinformation (like saying echopraxia is “when the patient says the same thing over and over again”).

Any thoughts?
I’m not one to typically post on sites like this, and I have been a quiet observer of SDN for almost 6 years. Alemo, you have inspired me to finally chime in.

As a PGY3 general psychiatry resident in North Carolina, I can appreciate your love of quality podcasts to supplement learning. For me, Dr. Puder’s podcast has been instrumental to inspire an introspective look at how I care for patients, growing my therapeutic alliance with patients, and motivating me to think deeply about issues that are most important to this dynamic field of medicine. I appreciate the genuine passion that Dr. Puder and his guests bring to the podcast, and I value the raw candor in his approach. It sounds like we both appreciate the work he does on navigating emotions and psychotherapy-related topics. Lately, his work on the COVID-19 pandemic has been key to keeping me grounded, engaged and resilient. I’d encourage you to give the podcast a second chance!

I'd also be interested in hearing some of your other recommendations for psychiatry/psychotherapy podcasts.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m not one to typically post on sites like this, and I have been a quiet observer of SDN for almost 6 years. Alemo, you have inspired me to finally chime in.

As a PGY3 general psychiatry resident in North Carolina, I can appreciate your love of quality podcasts to supplement learning. For me, Dr. Puder’s podcast has been instrumental to inspire an introspective look at how I care for patients, growing my therapeutic alliance with patients, and motivating me to think deeply about issues that are most important to this dynamic field of medicine. I appreciate the genuine passion that Dr. Puder and his guests bring to the podcast, and I value the raw candor in his approach. It sounds like we both appreciate the work he does on navigating emotions and psychotherapy-related topics. Lately, his work on the COVID-19 pandemic has been key to keeping me grounded, engaged and resilient. I’d encourage you to give the podcast a second chance!

I'd also be interested in hearing some of your other recommendations for psychiatry/psychotherapy podcasts.

I’m relieved to hear this podcast get some love. I have listed to about 10 episodes over the past few months, and I think they are quite good. When I read the comments on here I got some cold feet. I am just a 4th year Med student about to start residency so I feared that I might not be evaluating the content well. I have mainly listened to the psychopharmacology episodes while I workout. I find it too difficult to follow the more psychodynamically themed episodes while I am exercising.

I’m relieved to hear this podcast get some love. I have listed to about 10 episodes over the past few months, and I think they are quite good. When I read the comments on here I got some cold feet. I am just a 4th year Med student about to start residency so I feared that I might not be evaluating the content well. I have mainly listened to the psychopharmacology episodes while I workout. I find it too difficult to follow the more psychodynamically themed episodes while I am exercising.
I share your feelings on this. I'm a big fan of Dr. Puder's podcast, and have found it to be inspirational on many levels. I think he's trying to strike a balance between appealing to providers as well as patients. That can make it seem simplistic at times, however if he made it too complicated, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending to interested patients. After listening to a lot of psych related podcasts, this is one I consistently return to.

+1 for the Carlat report podcast.

"The psychonaut" is also a pretty entertaining/educational podcast that goes into analytic territory.

"The hilarious world of depression" is more for the layperson, but has interviews with a number of comedians about their struggle with mental illness.

Honestly, there aren’t many good audio resources for psychiatry at the resident level. I would say Puder’s podcast is definitely in the top 3. Episodes can be hit or miss but the psychopharm lectures especially are gold.

It's not exactly on topic, but I think if you are a resident, listening to the White Coat Investor will actually improve your psychiatric practice in the long-run more than most things related directly to psychiatry. Particularly given the lack of great podcasts in the area.

the puder podcasts featuring michael cummings teaching psychopharm are gold

Reactions: 1 users
I second that the Psychiatry & Psychotherapy Podcast episodes featuring Dr. Cummings are fantastic. I began listening to this podcast at the beginning of medical school and it helped to solidify my interest in psychiatry. I appreciate the range of topics covered in episodes and the accessibility. No matter what your level of experience with the field is, you can come away with valuable information and perspective each episode.

one thing i've wondered listening to dr. puder's podcast as a lowly MS1 interested in psych: he spends a few episodes on "reading microexpressions" and makes frequent reference to using the skill in his practice.

is there actual clinical validity to this? it's not mentioned on here much. not to be dismissive but i always imagined it was just pseudoscience.

Last edited by a moderator:
one thing i've wondered listening to dr. puder's podcast as a lowly MS1 interested in psych: he spends a few episodes on "reading microexpressions" and makes frequent reference to using the skill in his practice.

is there actual clinical validity to this? it's not mentioned on here much. not to be dismissive but i always imagined it was just pseudoscience.
I've never listened to Dr. Puder but your understanding of microexpressions is correct. Here's a thread on it from the Psychology forum: Microexpressions (edit: to clarify, I don't know if microexpressions are pseduoscience, but reading them in a clinical context is)

Last edited: