1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Dr.'s Letter of Recommendation

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by nicknack1, Oct 17, 2001.

1. nicknack1

nicknack1 Junior Member

My brother and father are physicians and both willing to write letters of recommendations. Is it worthless to get a recommendation from a close relative? Obviously any doctor you choose will write something good or you wouldn't be using them in the first place. Any thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think so. There isn't much credibility to those letters because although they know you well, they are also a little biased. I'd try to find maybe one of their colleagues who will help you out. That way, it doesn't look like daddy or Bro-man are just saying nice things to get you accepted. Honestly, I'd really look to a non-relative. My 2 cents.

4. asilvey

asilvey Member
    10+ Year Member

DO NOT USE A RELATIVE FOR A RECOMMENDATION! If you were on an Ad-Com, would you give this kind of rec. any weight at all? (You better say "No") Like the previous replier says, use someone affiliated with your dad/bro. They should be able to give you just as good a rec. as pops without the overture of significant bias. Good luck!

5. PainMan

PainMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree dont use them...but they certainly have friends and you have probably met them at a bar-b-que or two. They know the game