SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Dr.'s Letter of Recommendation

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by nicknack1, Oct 17, 2001.

1. nicknack1

nicknack1 Junior Member

Aug 8, 2001
    My brother and father are physicians and both willing to write letters of recommendations. Is it worthless to get a recommendation from a close relative? Obviously any doctor you choose will write something good or you wouldn't be using them in the first place. Any thoughts?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Columbus, OH
    I think so. There isn't much credibility to those letters because although they know you well, they are also a little biased. I'd try to find maybe one of their colleagues who will help you out. That way, it doesn't look like daddy or Bro-man are just saying nice things to get you accepted. Honestly, I'd really look to a non-relative. My 2 cents.

4. asilvey

asilvey Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    DO NOT USE A RELATIVE FOR A RECOMMENDATION! If you were on an Ad-Com, would you give this kind of rec. any weight at all? (You better say "No") Like the previous replier says, use someone affiliated with your dad/bro. They should be able to give you just as good a rec. as pops without the overture of significant bias. Good luck!

5. PainMan

PainMan Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 23, 2001
    anywhere but here
    I agree dont use them...but they certainly have friends and you have probably met them at a bar-b-que or two. They know the game