Dr. Sanjay Gupta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superoxide

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just saw this on the news - CNN's Sanjay Gupta has been approached by the Obama transition team for the position of Surgeon General.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

He is a media savy doctor. A medical spokesman for the US gov't. No different than George Stephanopoulous for press secty. for Clinton or Tony Snow for Bush.

Members don't see this ad :)
He is a media savy doctor. A medical spokesman for the US gov't. No different than George Stephanopoulous for press secty. for Clinton or Tony Snow for Bush.

I would respond by asking when the last time you heard from or actually saw the surgeon general.

Although that would possibly be a pro for Gupta taking the job, perhaps he can bring some attention to the position, and to physician issues as a whole.

The Surgeon General....is that position really needed anymore? I guess having a high profile doctor in a position of advocating for the nation's health isn't a bad thing. We need more docs in politics, especially at a time when health care is in flux.

The last surgeon-general I can name was Dr. Koop (guy with the bow-tie) and he fought hard against smoking. Maybe Dr. Gupta can fight the obesity epidemic in this country.