Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine at RFU of Medicine and Science (SCPM) Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how difficult the curriculum is at Scholl in particular? I’ve heard you take a few classes with the MD students, does that make it harder to do very well in those classes since you would be competing with these MD students?

Can anyone comment on how difficult the curriculum is at Scholl in particular? I’ve heard you take a few classes with the MD students, does that make it harder to do very well in those classes since you would be competing with these MD students?

You are taking classes alongside the MD students (like anatomy, clinical medicine, etc.) and are tested reasonably overall. There is enough time to study and do well in every exam, but time management skills may take some time.

You are not in competition with anyone, just have to know the material inside out like any other student in medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do things such as having a LOR from Scholl faculty and being an in-state resident help your chances of being admitted? Also, is there anywhere we can go to see what the campus looks like?

Do things such as having a LOR from Scholl faculty and being an in-state resident help your chances of being admitted? Also, is there anywhere we can go to see what the campus looks like?

Yes, those can def help your application, but GPAs and MCAT matter more.
As far as the Campus tour is concerned, for now, check out the youtube video here about RFU and also from the website click on all the links from the right...there are pictures and videos there as well. If you have a specific campus question then post here, I'll do my best to answer them.

Does Scholl need LORs on file before interview? They gave me a link to my RFU application portal and the only thing on the checklist is MCAT score which has been received.

Does Scholl need LORs on file before interview? They gave me a link to my RFU application portal and the only thing on the checklist is MCAT score which has been received.
I don't think they do however, I had issues with one of my LOR's and ended up having it sent directly to the school after talking to the school about the problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: Application was verified yesterday. Today, I received an email from Scholl saying that they have received my application from AACPMAS, and that it is currently under review, and gave me information how to log in and view my applicant profile. I wanted to share this because of how quick they were to get the process rolling. Hopefully everyone else has the same experience. I will keep y'all updated if I receive an interview or not!

Reactions: 3 users
My application was just verified today and I am now waiting on that email from Scholl.

Has anyone received any updates from Scholl after verification?

Has anyone received any updates from Scholl after verification?
Nope. They seem to be a bit slow to fully process/make a decision...unless they just don't like us lol. But yeah, I am in the same boat as you currently. Just playing the waiting game.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invite for sept 28!

Yessir! 499 mcat, 3.5 ugpa, 3.5 sgpa, 3.73 gradgpa

haha thank you!

Does anyone know what the interview day schedule looks like?

Back in 2017, we first met in a conference room (all students interviewing that day), then we were sent to our interview rooms. I had two faculty, and it was open-file; asked the general why pod, why our program. Overall, I had a great time, and I think lunch was provided. We also got a tour of the student-run clinic.....the things I saw that day and the ppl I met made it easy for me to choose Scholl. Good luck!

Hopefully, someone that interviewed recently can chime in.

Are you interviewing online?

There was a brief welcome session (1 hour) then a break until it was time to enter the room for the interview for the online format. Questions matched what DexterMorganSK said above.

Are you interviewing online?

There was a brief welcome session (1 hour) then a break until it was time to enter the room for the interview for the online format. Questions matched what DexterMorganSK said above.
Thank you guys for sharing your experience! Interviews are online for ya so I’m curious to see how they will change the schedule from what it’s suppose to be.

What stats are competitive for the DPM/PhD program? 508/3.93, 2 years undergrad research, 1 publication

What stats are competitive for the DPM/PhD program? 508/3.93, 2 years undergrad research, 1 publication

You don't apply to it directly, have to start the pod program then based on your Pod GPA you apply to the Ph.D. program (you apply after the first year of pod school I believe, also have to find a mentor/area of interest).

@tpcheung (just double-checking with you on this, thanks).

So I was extended an interview invite yesterday, and on their site it tells me to schedule an interview but when I click on a time, it wont let me do anything or schedule. Anyone else having this problem?

Hi El-Rami,

I'm glad to hear that you're interested in the DPM-PhD dual degree program. I am a current DPM-PhD student at Scholl (I recently completed the PhD component so I am back into the DPM component as a 3rd year).

The DPM-PhD application process at Scholl is consistent with how @DexterMorganSK explained it: you will complete the 1st year of podiatry school, including the summer, before applying to the program during the winter of 2nd year. Since there is a decreased academic load during the summer between the 1st and 2nd academic years of the curriculum, you [or other potential applicants] should consider gaining the bulk of your "pre-PhD" research experience in this pocket of time. The application for the dual degree holds a heavy emphasis on the 1st year podiatry GPA, your research [summer] experience at RFUMS, and essays explaining your previous research experience and addressing your career goals as a physician/surgeon-scientist.

Although there is no "entry-level" DPM-PhD program application, I encourage you to find out as much information as possible and plan for this program well in advance. Below, I have linked a couple websites for you to peruse. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to me directly. In addition, I'd be happy to pass you along to others (other current students, alumni, faculty) for their perspectives.

For your reference:

Research at Scholl
: Student Research
--> In this resource, check out what the other opportunities are and consider the question "Why get a PhD?"

Research with SGPS (PhD component of the dual-degree program): Degree Programs
--> The PhD component of the dual degree program is from the School of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS). I recommend looking through the faculty on this website and compile a list of potential mentors, based on research topic and research activity (ex. # of publications within the last 5 years).

A Few Experiences: Login • Instagram
--> This instagram website, although rather new, has some experiences that some DPM-PhDs and DPM-PhDs-in-training have shared so far.

A Perspective To Consider: https://www.jfas.org/article/S1067-2516(12)00087-7/fulltext
--> This is a perspective on the role of the DPM-PhD in Foot & Ankle Surgery. It is written by a well-respected faculty member at Scholl and is a perspective to consider when trying to answer "Why get a PhD?"

Thanks for the vouch, @Weirdy

I hope this helps!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
That was a really informative post, thank you. Would it be at all advisable to retake a 508, or just don't worry about it? From what you say, it sounds like it is more or less entirely based on med school performance and summer research.

That was a really informative post, thank you. Would it be at all advisable to retake a 508, or just don't worry about it? From what you say, it sounds like it is more or less entirely based on med school performance and summer research.

Please don't retake a 508.
That's not even advisable for MD/DO.

Focus on your grades during school. Right now you've already done everything you could.

Reactions: 2 users
Received interview invite today scheduled 8/19

I submitted my AACPMAS application right as it opened and have been accepted into 2 schools thus far, and yet to hear from Scholl. Bummer since it was one of my top schools. Is it safe to assume Scholl isn't interested given the amount of time?

I submitted my AACPMAS application right as it opened and have been accepted into 2 schools thus far, and yet to hear from Scholl. Bummer since it was one of my top schools. Is it safe to assume Scholl isn't interested given the amount of time?
They took forever to get back to me, maybe call and ask about your status if you are really considering this school?

Infosession was fun and the interview was chill. Nothing to stress about when interviewing here! Everyone was so nice!

I emailed my admissions councilor just checking about my application status since I had not heard anything. No response but then got the email for the interview a few days later, might be worth a shot.

Accepted to Scholl today. Interviewed 9/25.

Both! My portal updated before I got the email though. Did you interview on 9/25 as well?

Accepted with a 10k Merit Scholarship! Does anyone know when the deposit is due?

Do you need your DPM letter of Rec to be considered?
Not to receive an interview, but you will need it to "finalize" your acceptance. My DPM has been in the hospital ill recently so they were not able to send it right away, so Scholl just told me as long as I have it in to them by sometime in the Spring of 2021 I will be good.