Drake University or University of Iowa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zgrx

Reaction score
As the name implies, I need some input on which school to go to for a PharmD. I am currently a 2nd year Pre-Pharm student at Drake but am having conflicting feelings. I know national ranking doesn't mean all that much, but there must be a reason Drake is 46th and U of I is 18th? I chose Drake on a whim (mainly for the 2+4 pathway) and am now worried that I didn't think it through. Is there any strength one school has over the other? Any shortcomings of either school? If it helps, I live at home for Drake and have a $22,000 presidential scholarship. I still had to take out 24k in loans my first year and 13k this year. U of I would require an apartment and there is uncertainty about any aid I would receive. My GPA is 3.97 and I currently work as a Pharm Tech, if that also helps with things like likelihood of scholarships/aid offers. Thanks and looking forward to the responses!

Members don't see this ad.

The shortcomings of both schools is that you're going to be unemployed by attending either school. The pros of both schools is that at least you'll have the opportunity to play fake doctor for 4 years (during school) before the fun is over.

Reactions: 1 user
The shortcomings of both schools is that you're going to be unemployed by attending either school. The pros of both schools is that at least you'll have the opportunity to play fake doctor for 4 years (during school) before the fun is over.
Which pharmacy school would you suggest? I would prefer to stay in the midwest but if there is better opportunity elsewhere I am open to that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which pharmacy school would you suggest? I would prefer to stay in the midwest but if there is better opportunity elsewhere I am open to that.
Avoid pharmacy altogether and do something else. Are you oblivious to all the threads in the pharmacy, job market and r/pharmacy subs?

Reactions: 1 users
Avoid pharmacy altogether and do something else. Are you oblivious to all the threads in the pharmacy, job market and r/pharmacy subs?
Oblivious? No. Concerned? Yes. However, I work as a tech at Walgreens and really enjoy the retail setting. It is difficult at times but I personally find it to be rewarding. I understand that the profession is trending negatively, but just like anyone with a true passion, I won't be happy doing anything else. I'm going into pharmacy for me. So I would once again like you to answer my question, but this time more seriously: which school will help me be the best pharmacist I can be? Thank you, and stay safe in these uncertain times!

Oblivious? No. Concerned? Yes. However, I work as a tech at Walgreens and really enjoy the retail setting. It is difficult at times but I personally find it to be rewarding. I understand that the profession is trending negatively, but just like anyone with a true passion, I won't be happy doing anything else. I'm going into pharmacy for me. So I would once again like you to answer my question, but this time more seriously: which school will help me be the best pharmacist I can be? Thank you, and stay safe in these uncertain times!
I guess that there are some individuals who enjoy their calling so much that a life of relative poverty doesn't bother...Will you be able to tolerate 25-30 dollars an hour? It may come to that..

Might want to rethink pharmacy altogether. I recommend going wherever your total out of pocket cost is lowest. Loans don’t repay themselves.

School reputation is important, but cost is most important.

I guess that there are some individuals who enjoy their calling so much that a life of relative poverty doesn't bother...Will you be able to tolerate 25-30 dollars an hour? It may come to that..
That is certainly concerning, and I suppose I am somewhat disregarding that fact because it is really sad. I am hoping that by the end of school I won't have a large sum of loans to repay, I'm aiming for just under 120k. I guess at the end of the day, salary isn't everything. I wish pharmacy would be respected enough to continue the $50+ per hour, but I would rather be doing what I feel happy doing than doing something that makes me unhappy. But I do have to make a living, so I will keep this in mind before I accept & enroll into a pharmacy school. Thank you for your input! Stay safe now.

As the name implies, I need some input on which school to go to for a PharmD. I am currently a 2nd year Pre-Pharm student at Drake but am having conflicting feelings. I know national ranking doesn't mean all that much, but there must be a reason Drake is 46th and U of I is 18th? I chose Drake on a whim (mainly for the 2+4 pathway) and am now worried that I didn't think it through. Is there any strength one school has over the other? Any shortcomings of either school? If it helps, I live at home for Drake and have a $22,000 presidential scholarship. I still had to take out 24k in loans my first year and 13k this year. U of I would require an apartment and there is uncertainty about any aid I would receive. My GPA is 3.97 and I currently work as a Pharm Tech, if that also helps with things like likelihood of scholarships/aid offers. Thanks and looking forward to the responses!
I am in the Midwest and have colleagues from both. Both provide a good education and I would go to the one that is least expensive for you. The job market is hot garbage and you can't afford to come out with 6 figures of debt when you very well might be unemployed for an extended period of time.

That being said, the University of Iowa grads are crazy loyal to their alma mater and love talking about the area, sports, etc. It doesn't matter if they graduated in 1980 or 2015. They still go back for games and all seem to have had a ridiculously great time there.

Do the math.
If cost of living plus U of Iowa tuition is greater than Drake tuition+Scholarship and living at home, stay at drake
If cost of living plus U of Iowa Tuition is less than Drake tuition + Scholarship+living at home, go to U of Iowa.
The rankings aren't that big of a deal as pharmacy (one of the few good things of the profession)
A question I had was if the scholarship is renewable throughout the whole program?
Another thing to consider is that since you already work with a retail chain, moving might make it more difficult to network for a position if you move to another city.

Finally, its up to you. When you graduate, no one will care if you went to one school over another as long as you are a competent pharmacist with a license.