Dramatic upward trend, should I apply next cycle or consider SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeKing

Determined Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have a question regarding an upward trend. So I am currently going to be a senior, however I wont apply until the 2015 cycle. I screwed up as a freshman as a D1-A football player and got a 2.4 GPA, (I know its pretty awful, but I was fighting injuries and really wasn't too focused on school). Fast forward two years, I have gotten 2 consecutive 4.0 semesters, both on the Deans list, landed THE top research spot in a synthetic biology lab on campus and brought my gpa up to a 3.1 (I know, still poor). I am taking the MCAT in Jan and have gotten between 30-33 on current practice tests, my last one was a 33 (Gold Standard exam 4, P10, B11, V12)! Hopefully I can pull that up several points in the next 6 months. My question is, if (when) I finish my undergrad with around a 3.3 gpa broken down into 2.4/3.2/4.0/4.0 on a year by year basis, with around a 33+ MCAT, should I apply directly, or should I consider an SMP such as Georgetown or Cincinnati? Will the upward trend be seen favorably??

ECs-
Synthetic Bio Lab (genetic engineering)-400+ hrs
Scholarship chair of fraternity-1 year
D1-A football player- 1 year
Typical Shadowing, around 50 hrs (Primary Care, ED)
Tutoring Calc, 100 hours
Community service (non clinical)-40 hours
Certified Personal Trainer with over 200 sessions
*Have had to work for much of college
** currently applying to ER scribe position

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are upward-trend loving schools out there (like BU and Albany). Suggest you call up some Admissions Deans and ask if you're competitive. You might still be at such a low cGPA that you'll get autoscreened out.

You are fine for any DO program, including mine.

Perhaps trying one cycle to see how things shake out? You can always work and save up some money, and then go for SMP if you're only focused on MD.

Hey, I have a question regarding an upward trend. So I am currently going to be a senior, however I wont apply until the 2015 cycle. I screwed up as a freshman as a D1-A football player and got a 2.4 GPA, (I know its pretty awful, but I was fighting injuries and really wasn't too focused on school). Fast forward two years, I have gotten 2 consecutive 4.0 semesters, both on the Deans list, landed THE top research spot in a synthetic biology lab on campus and brought my gpa up to a 3.1 (I know, still poor). I am taking the MCAT in Jan and have gotten between 30-33 on current practice tests, my last one was a 33 (Gold Standard exam 4, P10, B11, V12)! Hopefully I can pull that up several points in the next 6 months. My question is, if (when) I finish my undergrad with around a 3.3 gpa broken down into 2.4/3.2/4.0/4.0 on a year by year basis, with around a 33+ MCAT, should I apply directly, or should I consider an SMP such as Georgetown or Cincinnati? Will the upward trend be seen favorably??

ECs-
Synthetic Bio Lab (genetic engineering)-400+ hrs
Scholarship chair of fraternity-1 year
D1-A football player- 1 year
Typical Shadowing, around 50 hrs (Primary Care, ED)
Tutoring Calc, 100 hours
Community service (non clinical)-40 hours
Certified Personal Trainer with over 200 sessions
*Have had to work for much of college
** currently applying to ER scribe position

That's great advice, I will do just that!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are upward-trend loving schools out there (like BU and Albany). Suggest you call up some Admissions Deans and ask if you're competitive. You might still be at such a low cGPA that you'll get autoscreened out.

You are fine for any DO program, including mine.

Perhaps trying one cycle to see how things shake out? You can always work and save up some money, and then go for SMP if you're only focused on MD.

Solid advice. Was just going to say something similar but Goro's got this one covered :)

Perfect. Are there any other schools that are known to look favorably at an upward trend?