Dream Med School for Snow Board Freaks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dartmouth definitely is number one. Dartmouth owns its own ski resort close to campus. Get up early in the morning, eat oatmeal and frozen blue berries, go to class, eat lunch, study until mid afternoon. Then snowboard for 2 hours, shower, eat dinner and study until midnight, and get up and do it all over again. What could be better than that? What a life!

The other contenders:

2. OHSU- Mt. Hood is only 2 hours away. Gotta love Oregon.

3. University of Vermont.

4. Washington! Mt. Ranier, Mt. Baker, and other Cascade mountains.

5. University of Utah. Great mountains in Utah.

6. Colorado. The best but pretty expensive for out of state folks.

7. Midwest...snow but too flat. Cross country skiing is fun but not a downhill rush.

Thoughts?

Searun

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I may be a little biased because I am from Provo, Utah....but like the license plates say -> The greatest snow on earth. None of that wet, frozen crap like there is back east. And none of those hills that they call mountains in the east either. The University is 30 minutes from 6 major resorts, and 1 hour from another 4.

I can understand the CO is too expensive for OOS'ers argument, but I can't compare skiing in the East to skiing out West, two completely different worlds. If it's skier first, med student 2nd find a place out West (although this is not the best way to approach medical school).

I'd consider Dartmouth as a decent place to keep in practice skiing (and if you're looking to settle down NH has no state income tax!) but I'd still need to travel west 1x/yr minimum.

Members don't see this ad :)
UC Davis is two hours from Lake Tahoe. There are some pretty awesome slopes there. ;)

University of NV is also very close to Tahoe but you can pretty much only go there if you are from NV. Of course, Davis isn't terribly great for non-CA residents either.

oxeye said:
UC Davis is two hours from Lake Tahoe. There are some pretty awesome slopes there. ;)

University of NV is also very close to Tahoe but you can pretty much only go there if you are from NV. Of course, Davis isn't terribly great for non-CA residents either.

THANK YOU!!!!!

This guy totally left out Cali (North, Central, and South)!

If you go to USC, UCLA, Loma Linda (especially Loma Linda), or even UCSD...you can get to local ski resorts in under 1hr (max 2.5 hrs...depending on where you are).

Of course it is nice for a school to own a ski resort

ryandote said:
I may be a little biased because I am from Provo, Utah....but like the license plates say -> The greatest snow on earth. None of that wet, frozen crap like there is back east. And none of those hills that they call mountains in the east either. The University is 30 minutes from 6 major resorts, and 1 hour from another 4.

I know that the head of rad down at Utah (the editor of Radiographics) moved there for the skiing.

U of WA, 3 resorts w/in 30 min, tons more w/in an hour or two plus you have Whistler for the weekends

riceman04 said:
If you go to USC, UCLA, Loma Linda (especially Loma Linda), or even UCSD...you can get to local ski resorts in under 1hr (max 2.5 hrs...depending on where you are).
Seriously? Are we talking good places, or just places that exist? I can't picture greater Los Angeles as having awesome ski resorts, given the weather, regardless of what elevation might be around. I mean, Michigan is 15 minutes from a place, and it pretty much sucks, but at least it can hold natural powder five months out of the year. I certainly wouldn't recommend Michigan for skiing or snowboarding... you can definitely do it, as I spend more time on the local slopes than anywhere else, but there are so many places that would be much, much better.

_ian said:
Seriously? Are we talking good places, or just places that exist? I can't picture greater Los Angeles as having awesome ski resorts, given the weather, regardless of what elevation might be around. I mean, Michigan is 15 minutes from a place, and it pretty much sucks, but at least it can hold natural powder five months out of the year. I certainly wouldn't recommend Michigan for skiing or snowboarding... you can definitely do it, as I spend more time on the local slopes than anywhere else, but there are so many places that would be much, much better.
I don't know how good there are because I haven't been there, but there are mountains east of LA. No skiing in LA, but you could definitely take a day or weekend trip out to the resorts.

You can do that with any of the CA SF bay area schools - UCSF or Stanford (3-4 hour drive to Tahoe). UC Davis is even closer.

Tahoe resorts are awesome (I'm a regular). :D

Some of my classmates at WVSOM snowboard regularly at Snowshoe and some other near by ski/snowboard place.

Dakota said:
I can understand the CO is too expensive for OOS'ers argument, but I can't compare skiing in the East to skiing out West, two completely different worlds.

I second that. The rockies > the appalachian. Always.

Albany Med is about an hour from Lake Placid/Whiteface/Gore and 2.5 hrs from Killington. Mt. Snow, Sunday River, Sugarbush, and all the rest of the Vermont resorts are in easy driving distance for the weekend. Plus if you are a student all the American Ski Company resorts will give you a seasons pass for $300 and its valid at any one of their seven resorts!

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard UW (Seattle) took their MSTP interviewees to go skiing....dayam :thumbup:

:eek:
_ian said:

Well...after experiencing the slopes out here on the east coast I can tell you that the skiing at places like Big Bear and Snow Summit is much better...out on the west coast there is no such term as "Packed Ice" used to describe slope conditions...the first time I heard that I had to check to make sure what was said was not a mistake...but for some reason that term is used out here on the east coast regularly!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Of course, by international standards, people don't travel to Los Angeles to ski...but the snow is of pretty good quality...have you heard of microclimates...that's the phenomenon that allows for such unique diversity in the Los Angeles area.

How about you come on down and plan a ski trip while you are out here :D :D :D

bump from the dead...

Anybody?

How close do you want? Dartmouth does have its own place, but I'm pretty sure you have to go down to Brown to do some of your rotations so you won't be up in N.H. the whole 4 years. I'm a devout skier but my plan is this: go to med school in a city (NY or Boston) then move out west once I start to practice. Btw, no one should go dissing the eastern resorts! The best skier's in the U.S. come from the east.

How close do you want? Dartmouth does have its own place, but I'm pretty sure you have to go down to Brown to do some of your rotations so you won't be up in N.H. the whole 4 years. I'm a devout skier but my plan is this: go to med school in a city (NY or Boston) then move out west once I start to practice. Btw, no one should go dissing the eastern resorts! The best skier's in the U.S. come from the east.

But then they move out to Colorado to train. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd pick the snow out west over the stuff on the east any day. But I learned to ski in Aspen (drop...) so I'm bit spoiled.

And Hanover is in the middle of nowhere. Keep that in mind....personally, I like civilization.

for skiers, Dartmouth, Vermont, Colorado, Oregon, UC Davis, UW, and Utah.

For snowboarders, I recommend Emory, Miami, USF, or any of the Texas schools.

UTAHHH

greatest snow on earth..

Want to still be snowboarding in May, June, sometimes even July? Think Whistler.

Thus: U of British Columbia.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Unfortunately, Mt. High (one of the closer So Cal resorts) is usually mainly ice. If you want powder, Mammoth and Big Bear would be your best bets for So Cal.

I did undergrad at the U of U and frequently went skiing after morning classes. I could get from my car in the parking lot to the lift (Park City or The Canyons) in about 20 minutes.

*begs pleads and PRAYS to get to UW for residency*

Sorry kids. Snowshoe just isn't cutting it.

Whistler'd probably do it.

U of BCs prolly pretty close to Baker too?

Tahoe Resorts are pretty good. But Mt. Hood is amazing!

Timberline for the pros and Mt. Hood Meadows for all others.
Also you get a 7-day tickets+rentals for $99 if you are a college/med student.

Unbeatable.

dartmouth? you must be high

colorado

and for good reason ;) Californians think they have it all.....harummmph

but UCSF is not so far from mammoth etc.

If you go to USC, UCLA, Loma Linda (especially Loma Linda), or even UCSD...you can get to local ski resorts in under 1hr (max 2.5 hrs...depending on where you are)

yes, and snow summit is a huge pile of crap, and slushy crap at that; you don't know what you're talking about

:eek:

Well...after experiencing the slopes out here on the east coast I can tell you that the skiing at places like Big Bear and Snow Summit is much better..

i'm gonna have a heart attack; someone take this guy to colorado, salt lake city, or even tahoe.......sheesh

Want to still be snowboarding in May, June, sometimes even July? Think Whistler.

Thus: U of British Columbia.

truly the best; but if we're talking usa, atleast seattle is close

definitely

1.Vancouver
2.Denver
3.salt lake

the east coast can keep their hills :D:D:cool:

why not vermont...they've got killington, okemo, stowe all within a close distance...also you can go into new york and hit up whiteface and what-not...a lot of people say those mountains are nothing but ice...but they've still got some killer parks.

half of think thanks last video "patchwork patterns" was filmed in vermont

Unfortunately, Mt. High (one of the closer So Cal resorts) is usually mainly ice. If you want powder, Mammoth and Big Bear would be your best bets for So Cal.

Mt. High isn't a mountain and Big Bear ain't big. Good luck even finding snow up there. This year both resorts closed early because there was no rain. Weak. Mammoth is great but is six hours away so not really a So. Cal. option.

let's not forget Wayne State, which is home to 4 of the best ski areas in the country... Alpine Valley, Mt. Brighton, Pine Knob, and Mt. Holly.

wpe63461.gif

that's a joke right?

i snowboarded at mt.holly once, it was beyond terrible

i'm kinda blown away by the insanity i'm hearing in this thread; do east coast folk actually think they can compare with colorado or utah? they're nothing like it! not even remotely

(man i hope that's a joke ;) if so, good one!

i'm actually amazed that anyone could possibly have time to snowboard in med school :) maybe if you can bring your books on the chairlift ;)

I agree. Big Bear is less than an hour from LLU. Bit further to USC and UCLA. Mammoth takes a lot longer to get to, but is a possibility for a weekend trip. As mentioned its 6 hours away. Mt. High is good depending on when you go...preferably after snow fall of course.

that's a joke right?

i snowboarded at mt.holly once, it was beyond terrible

i'm kinda blown away by the insanity i'm hearing in this thread; do east coast folk actually think they can compare with colorado or utah? they're nothing like it! not even remotely

(man i hope that's a joke ;) if so, good one!

I actually skied 4-5 days a week at Mt. Holly in HS for my team...

ps. Montana rules all.

I debated attending the U of Colorado, OOS, for its proximity to the slopes. It sounds like a silly reason to choose such an expensive school, but skiing makes me happy, dammit! During my interview, it seemed like most of the students that I spoke with were outdoor sports junkies, which was right up my alley. Fast-forward to this winter. I ended up going with my state school, which I love, and was definitely a more sound financial choice. However, I didn't get up to the mountains even one time this winter. I'm sorry, but West Virginia/Pennsylvania (even Vermont) have nothing on the Rockies/West coast.

I used to ski 3-4 times a week during the winter season, back when I lived in Seattle. Now I'm lucky if i go once a year to a sub-par east coast mountain. It actually becomes depressing in the winter, when it snows here, to know that Mount Baker or Whistler or Aspen is having a record season, and there's no way you can afford (time or $$-wise) to get out there. There were times in January where I kicked myself for not going to UC or USC, where there is at least more immediate access.

My point - I don't think that this is a silly priority, especially if it helps you maintain your sanity. If you are a hardcore skiier/rider, and plan on keeping it up in med school, I would consider UW, OHSU, several of the California schools, UCHSC, or U of U. I don't know where U of New Mexico's medical school is, but I'm assuming it's in Albequerque or Santa Fe - close to places like Taos. Serious skiiers and riders are going to be sorely upset with the facilities here on the east coast. I know that I am :(

wpe63461.gif
[/QUOTE]

LMAO....I'm a U of Michigan grad. I feel your pain. An 8-month-long winter, but no terrain. Sigh.

(P.S. Note how the Wolverine chair tops the Spartan chair...as it should :) )

Dartmouth definitely is number one. Dartmouth owns its own ski resort close to campus. Get up early in the morning, eat oatmeal and frozen blue berries, go to class, eat lunch, study until mid afternoon. Then snowboard for 2 hours, shower, eat dinner and study until midnight, and get up and do it all over again. What could be better than that? What a life!

The other contenders:
[...]
3. University of Vermont.
[...]
Searun

dartmouth? you must be high

colorado

Um, yeah. As a Dartmouth (undergrad) alum, I've got to agree with uzy.

The Skiway is nice, it's convenient to get to from campus, and students get a great deal on a season pass - but calling it a "resort" is pretty funny. (Two chair lifts, one J-bar!) Actually, calling it "close" is misleading, too - it's about a half-hour drive. I put in lots of hours skiing there, and for me it was a great way to make sure I got out on the snow as much as I wanted. But be aware of what you're getting into, or you could end up pretty disappointed.

On the other hand, you can also get to Killington or Okemo in a little under an hour, and Sugarbush or MRG (oh yeah, a snowboarder - never mind that last one!) in a little over an hour from Dartmouth.

I'd argue that the best East Coast school for snow sports would be UVM with its access to one of my favorite mountains, Stowe.

If you're considering DO programs, there's also UNECOM for the southern Maine resorts.

From the Boston schools (Tufts, Harvard, BU) you've got a bit of a drive to decent skiing or a short drive to lame skiing. And even the New York, PA, OH, and NJ schools will be within a day trip of some kind of snow, so you wouldn't be totally deprived.

But like everybody else is saying, if you're serious about being a "snowboard freak," you'll want to focus your efforts out West.

i'm gonna have a heart attack; someone take this guy to colorado, salt lake city, or even tahoe.......sheesh

I did not see you in the ER so you must not have had your heart attack!!!!

I grew up skiing at Heavenly and Squaw! Everyone knows that it is pointless to compare ski resorts in the LA area to those around northern and central cali, colorado, or salt lake!!!!

I am not understanding why you decided to type what you typed...but hey to each his own!!!!!

I have beta blockers on standby!!!!!!

THIS MIGHT BE THE BIG ONE ELIZABETH!!!!!UZYBEAR MIGHT BE COMING HOME TO YA!!!!!!
(only Sanford and Son fans will know what I am refering to)

UW. not only do u have an excellent school, but with passes just 30-1 hr away (snoqualmie, stevens, mt baker), plus whistler up north, its the best one. plus seattle is just awesome (and it DOESN'T rain that much here ok??)

UW. not only do u have an excellent school, but with passes just 30-1 hr away (snoqualmie, stevens, mt baker), plus whistler up north, its the best one. plus seattle is just awesome (and it DOESN'T rain that much here ok??)

liar liar pants on fire!!!! (about the rain in Seattle...and the city smells of stinky stinky fish...especially the Tacoma area:smuggrin::smuggrin:)

I heard the drive up to Wash slopes is kind of treacherous...is that so?