Dream still possible? Possible plan of attack or just not worth the effort?

Oct 21, 2014
Hi everyone I am looking for honest feedback.... long-term lurker
Recently Graduated from College this past year with a degree in Economics from top 100 University also went CC before University.

Current Age 23... Plan on applying at 25 or 26
College Cumulative GPA -3.5- about the same through out college.
Haven't taken the MCAT yet or most pre reqs.
I was all-american athlete at the CC and captain. Member of numerous clubs and held leadership positions in a couple clubs. Volunteered at VA Hospital less than 100 hrs.

Redflags-
at the age of 22 I made a childish and dangerous decision of driving home from BBQ after a couple of drinks from a house less 2 miles away mine. Got pulled over and was convicted of DWAI in NY which is considered a traffic violation(not criminal charge) with a BAC between .04 -.07. Also at the age of 21 I was written up for having alcohol in all non alcoholic dorm... very dumb and questionable decisions. The DWAI was extremely foolish and dangerous decision that I will never do again.

Game Plan:
Work Full-time and take all prereq classes part time. Get my gpa above a 3.6(hopefully close to 3.7) and also kill the MCAT. At the same time volunteer a couple times a week and get research experience. Apply MD at the age of 25 or 26. My personal feeling is if something is important you, it should be pursued even if odds aren't high.

My question is do you think that I will have a legitimate shot at MD or should I try and pursue another career?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
If things go according to your plan, then you will indeed have a very competitive shot at med school.

Hi everyone I am looking for honest feedback.... long-term lurker
Recently Graduated from College this past year with a degree in Economics from top 100 University also went CC before University.

Current Age 23... Plan on applying at 25 or 26
College Cumulative GPA -3.5- about the same through out college.
Haven't taken the MCAT yet or most pre reqs.
I was all-american athlete at the CC and captain. Member of numerous clubs and held leadership positions in a couple clubs. Volunteered at VA Hospital less than 100 hrs.

Redflags-
at the age of 22 I made a childish and dangerous decision of driving home from BBQ after a couple of drinks from a house less 2 miles away mine. Got pulled over and was convicted of DWAI in NY which is considered a traffic violation(not criminal charge) with a BAC between .04 -.07. Also at the age of 21 I was written up for having alcohol in all non alcoholic dorm... very dumb and questionable decisions. The DWAI was extremely foolish and dangerous decision that I will never do again.

Game Plan:
Work Full-time and take all prereq classes part time. Get my gpa above a 3.6(hopefully close to 3.7) and also kill the MCAT. At the same time volunteer a couple times a week and get research experience. Apply MD at the age of 25 or 26. My personal feeling is if something is important you, it should be pursued even if odds aren't high.

My question is do you think that I will have a legitimate shot at MD or should I try and pursue another career?

Reactions: [email protected]

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
I would do the following:

1) call the state medical board and make sure your DWAI will not prevent you from obtaining a medical license some day.

2) wait a few more years before you apply. You've had two alcohol-related incidents in the last two years, and now time is your friend. It's a lot easier to call these incidents youthful idiocy once you're no longer a youth. I'd say you should have at least five years with no further record of alcohol-related incidents before you apply, but the more time passed, the better.

3). Do you have a job yet? If not, get one. Then relax, enjoy your early 20s, and save some money while you finish your premed classes and build up a track record of living like a responsible adult. Assuming you don't have an issue with getting licensed in your state, the rest will work itself out. Time is your friend. :)

OP
Sansa@Stark
Oct 21, 2014
Thank you both for your quick responses. I will definitely take the advice and call my state board. I'm going to try and put as many positives on my application and make time my friend before I apply. Both the incidents happened within a 9 month span. So I'm hoping if I wait 2-3 years or more and apply at the age of 25-26 or a little older will be enough. To show real growth and positive change. Also show that the incidents aren't an indication of character.