icebrat001

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2005
Arizona
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Hi Everyone!

I was browsing the DO boards because I didn't have anything better to do, well I do but you know, SDN is addicting.

The DO people were talking about wearing uniforms and nice attire to school, as in no jeans and what not.

Is this the case in allopathic schools as well? :confused:

Larsitron

Mac Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Rochester, NY
Status
Medical Student
Yes. From what I can tell the dress code for every interview is business formal. Definitely no jeans unless you want to explain that your luggage got lost on the way there.

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Maybe he's not talking about interview attire but daily medical student attire? If so then I don't believe there is a dress code for the first two years when you're just going to lecture. During clinicals it'll be the white coat and some sorta dress code most likely.

Sanctuary

Templar
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2004
Naxxramas
Status
I am unaware of any dress codes at allopathic and osteopathic medical schools. Keep in mind that there is a code of conduct specifically for medical students that say they should be dressed professionally on a daily basis. Interpret that as you may.

Larsitron

Mac Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Rochester, NY
Status
Medical Student
Oops...looks like I misread the question.

Also, I've heard rumors that Mayo has people dress up for class. Anyone else heard this?

gdubb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
nc-->dc
Status
My brother went to optometry school at Nova in FL, and they had a dress code. Shirt and tie everyday to class, and shirt had to be tucked in. I haven't heard for md schools though. The DO school down there might be required since his class had a dress code. :thumbdown:

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
MWillie said:
Maybe he's not talking about interview attire but daily medical student attire? If so then I don't believe there is a dress code for the first two years when you're just going to lecture. During clinicals it'll be the white coat and some sorta dress code most likely.
The DO board posts seem to indicate that T shirts or bathing suits are required for some classes to afford easy access to a bare back. If they have that in pre-allo all my lat work will finally pay off. :rolleyes:

skiracer90

go sox!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
Northeast
Status
From the med students I've seen at my interviews, I would say that most schools don't have a dress attire. Most students were wearing jeans.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
New York
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
when i went to a do school, a lot of the students were dressed nicely. not exactly formal. just nicely. as in the girls would wear slacks and a blouse, and the guys would have khakis and a neat shirt, stuff that actually fits. i don't know if it's a dress code or peer pressure though. although they said for OMM labs, they have to have a bare back, so the girls would wear something like a sports bra or bikini top, and the guys would just take off their shirts. after i heard that, i realized why most of the students were in really good shape.

erin682

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Hogwarts
Status
Attending Physician
Allo schools are extremely casual. Most people take every chance they can to dress down. There are days if you are working in the hospital where you wear professional attire (ie pants/skirt and nice shirt for girls and pants, button down and tie for guys) with your white coat. Otherwise though very casual especially on dissection days.

agp4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Larsitron said:
Oops...looks like I misread the question.

Also, I've heard rumors that Mayo has people dress up for class. Anyone else heard this?
When we're in class, we're allowed to wear whatever. But every time we see patients, we dress formal attire (suits for guys, whatever the equivalent is for gals). We don't do the white coat thing, so instead of the white coat, imagine a sport coat/blazer. It's a little disorienting at first, but the patients actually seem to really like it.

nist7

MS2
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
Medical Student
agp4 said:
When we're in class, we're allowed to wear whatever. But every time we see patients, we dress formal attire (suits for guys, whatever the equivalent is for gals). We don't do the white coat thing, so instead of the white coat, imagine a sport coat/blazer. It's a little disorienting at first, but the patients actually seem to really like it.
Yup, birthday suit for class, formal suits for patients. but some schools have you wear the white coat and all.

kaikai128

Yes SIR. ;-)
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2004
Beach or Pool, you pick...
Visit site
Status
Many of the Osteopathic schools have dress codes. Some schools require business attire, some require scurbs, some scrubs and white coat, etc. OMM class often requires gym type clothes.