Dress uniform at fellowship graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArmyPRSdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple of attendings asked why I wasn't wearing my "dress uniform" at our (civilian) fellowship graduation dinner. I'm an FAP'er who hasn't even gone to oblc yet. They said they had seen others do so but I was pretty sure that they are only for official military functions. My graduation isn't until next year. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

unless you are mandated to wear a uniform i would just say to wear what you feel comfortable in.

A couple of attendings asked why I wasn't wearing my "dress uniform" at our (civilian) fellowship graduation dinner. I'm an FAP'er who hasn't even gone to oblc yet. They said they had seen others do so but I was pretty sure that they are only for official military functions. My graduation isn't until next year. Any thoughts?

I think it's reasonable not to. Since you haven't even gone to OBLC yet, I imagine you might feel like a poser (I'm not calling you one, I'm just equating how I felt wearing that stuff as a med student). Like the last poster said: do what you want. It's not improper to wear them (you are in fact in the military), but there's no requirement (it is a civilian fellowship).

Members don't see this ad :)

Can you? Yes.

Should you? No.

Civilian ceremony, civilian attire.

No reason to wear the uniform before you absolutely have to.

Plus, you'll look like a douchebag at a fancy dinner if you are the only one in uniform. There will be plenty of opportunity to wear that stuff when you are on active duty.

You never wear the uniform when you take your wife out to dinner?

Not intentionally. But black tie events....Mess dress does draw positive attention.