Dress up for *informational* interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY Musicologist

Career Changer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for this silly pre-allo-type question, but... I'm going to have an informational interview with the coordinator of a postbac program next week. I don't need to wear a suit for this, do I? Just a nice slacks/blouse combo? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I think what you describe would be fine.

Side note, megboo and I went to a day-long informational seminar put together by several schools a few years back. We were both in what I'd refer to as business casual- nice slacks, sweaters on top. We thought this was common sense. Apparently not so to the girl in the miniskirt and knee-high leopard-print boots. :eek: :wow:

Sorry for this silly pre-allo-type question, but... I'm going to have an informational interview with the coordinator of a postbac program next week. I don't need to wear a suit for this, do I? Just a nice slacks/blouse combo? Thanks in advance.

I generally find you can rarely overdress for something professional. It communicates some degree of seriousness and preparedness on your part. I'd say if this is at the school itself, dressing up if fine. If it's sponsored by your undergrad school, it's known the atmosphere is more casual, then it's likely not as big a deal. Particularly if this is a one-on-one informational interview, I'd consider wearing a suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above.
You will never look bad by overdressing.
For interviews, I suggest dressing one step above what would be the norm in that field. If they dress business casual, wear a dress shirt and pants. If they dress more formally, wear a suit.
If they wear suits, get a tux. :D

Dressing well shows respect to the person you are meeting.

....... We thought this was common sense. Apparently not so to the girl in the miniskirt and knee-high leopard-print boots. :eek: :wow:

That's *one* advantage to being non-traditional. Unless you are going through some bizarre midlife crisis.

I assume you are definitely planning on applying to this post bac and it's not your home institution where they know you? Wear a pant suit. If you must err, it's infinitely better to err on the side of going too formal. You can easily just take off the jacket if you are clearly overdressed when you get there, and no one will even know that you're wearing a suit.

One thing that a lot of people really don't get is that your interview starts the second you step foot on campus. Consider that when you meet with this person, they are probably going to open a file on you even before your app comes in. Med school interviews work the same way. Your student host, the students you meet at lunch time, the medical school admissions office secretary, the tour guide--*all* of these people are evaluating you, even if they're not officially on the adcom. Be aware of this, and treat all meetings having anything to do with med school with the mindset that they're interviews. Then you won't go wrong.

Best of luck with your meeting. :)

Not knowing what is in your closet... this might be a good situation for a non-black pant suit (khaki, navy, gray, etc). Nothing crazy like salmon, powder blue, or green though (seriously those suits exist). Close-toed shoes. Then you're not super formal but you're still well dressed.

Hi all, and thanks for the advice. Yes, this is a program I want to get into; yes, it's competitive (how much so, I don't know, just know there's a limited number of slots); no, I don't already know anyone at the institution. Ordinarily, I'd have gone the suit route automatically; however, it's guaranteed to be a soupy 90+ outside the day of...ugh! Moreover, my interview will fall in the middle of a 10-day trip, which means I'll have to pack the suit and lug it around for the other 9.5 days. I had hoped that the summer time frame and "informational" aspect would earn me a pass to more casual wear, but I'm probably better safe than sorry, since this is far and away my first-choice postbac (and an ideal med school option as well, assuming I can cut the postbac mustard...) You're right about the jacket option, Q. :idea:

Thanks again!

I think what you describe would be fine.

Side note, megboo and I went to a day-long informational seminar put together by several schools a few years back. We were both in what I'd refer to as business casual- nice slacks, sweaters on top. We thought this was common sense. Apparently not so to the girl in the miniskirt and knee-high leopard-print boots. :eek: :wow:

I soooo remember that!!!!

That was such a fun time though. Pingouin = funny :)