dressing for interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Buttercup2003, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Buttercup2003

Buttercup2003 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey people,

I was wondering if it's okay for women to wear a pant suit to an interview (at Texas schools). For some reason, my pre-med advisor was very if-y on whether it's acceptable. I know I won't get rejected just because of my wardrobe selection, but still every little bit counts in the final impression. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jwin

jwin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

on my interviews, i have seen several women in pant-suits and i am pretty sure that everyone thought they looked professional. i think that they look more professional than skirts or whatever you were thinking of wearing. Both of my female interviewers were in pants so i am pretty sure that no one is going to look down on pants.

4. Jadeite

Jadeite Thought Puddle
    7+ Year Member

I had the misfortune of interviewing last year (and not getting in) and this year. last year I wore a skirt suit and this year - a pant suit. Didn't interview at UT, though, but here are my thoughts on the matter:

No, that's not the reason I got in. *BUT* the kind of girl I am, is a kind of girl MUCH more comfortable in a pantsuit. So that was one less thing to stress out about, one less worry on my mind and subconsciously soothing. I'm sure it *DID* help me do better in my interviews.

In my interview travels I've found that I was *NEVER* the only one in a pantsuit - there was always at least one other girl with pants. Most of the time pants were the majority, though there were a few times when the skirts had us.

In reality, your interviewer doesn't care, I know it's hard to believe, but it's completely true. I got accepted to a place where my fly was open (Yeah, it's true, and the interviewer noticed. I was wondering why he was looking down. Realized after the interview!!!!)

It's all about your personality, how you carry yourself and how you answer those questions.

Good luck!

Jade~

5. BobbyDylanFan

BobbyDylanFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That should have been posted on the funniest interview stories. You had your fly down and he was looking....maybe he was a peeeper ':eek:'

:eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :eek: :clap: :eek: :eek:

6. Buttercup2003

Buttercup2003 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for your help! :)

7. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'd suggest Thousand Island, or perhaps Italian. Avoid Ranch dressing. Remember, you want to be conservative at these interviews.

8. vivekap2007

vivekap2007 cowtown indo hornet
    7+ Year Member

I've interviewed at the schools in Texas and I've seen ladies wearing pantsuits at all of them; as long as it's business professional I doubt it matters. We're not that conservative down here ;-)

9. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer
    7+ Year Member

I would str8 up reject any attractive female applicant that wasn't wearing a skirt or something sexy. But that's just me :)

10. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes it's acceptable...I've seen mostly black ones...

11. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    skirt suit, pantsuit...just wear whatever you're comfortable in that looks nice on you.

but for heaven's sake don't wear hunter green. ;) :laugh:

12. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

Pant suits are very professional but they are NOT more professional than skirt-suits.

13. ::Seabass::

::Seabass:: bringing burkas back!
    7+ Year Member

it has been about 50/50 for pants/skirts at Texas interviews. as it gets colder there will probably be more pants. go for what makes you comfortable.

14. ::Seabass::

7+ Year Member

yeah, our mutual advisor did the same thing to me too, so I called someone I graduated with and asked her what it was like. guess I need to send her an email tomorrow and let her know to stop giving bad info.

15. Buttercup2003

Buttercup2003 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey seaworthc,

with which texas schools have you interviewed? how were they . . . what kind of questions should i expect? i have my very first interview at ut-houston this friday, then i have another one at ut-galveston next month . . . still waiting to hear from other schools . . . anyways, i'm going with a black pant suit . . . hopefully our advisor's opinion is false.

16. ::Seabass::

7+ Year Member

buttercup, I sent you two pms. email is the best way to talk for me. ask away there.

seabass :)

17. poloace

poloace Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i wonder if an interviewer has accepted/rejected someone solely based on their appearance... that would be rad.
    peter

18. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: