dressing for interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buttercup2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people,

I was wondering if it's okay for women to wear a pant suit to an interview (at Texas schools). For some reason, my pre-med advisor was very if-y on whether it's acceptable. I know I won't get rejected just because of my wardrobe selection, but still every little bit counts in the final impression. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

on my interviews, i have seen several women in pant-suits and i am pretty sure that everyone thought they looked professional. i think that they look more professional than skirts or whatever you were thinking of wearing. Both of my female interviewers were in pants so i am pretty sure that no one is going to look down on pants.

I had the misfortune of interviewing last year (and not getting in) and this year. last year I wore a skirt suit and this year - a pant suit. Didn't interview at UT, though, but here are my thoughts on the matter:

No, that's not the reason I got in. *BUT* the kind of girl I am, is a kind of girl MUCH more comfortable in a pantsuit. So that was one less thing to stress out about, one less worry on my mind and subconsciously soothing. I'm sure it *DID* help me do better in my interviews.

In my interview travels I've found that I was *NEVER* the only one in a pantsuit - there was always at least one other girl with pants. Most of the time pants were the majority, though there were a few times when the skirts had us.

In reality, your interviewer doesn't care, I know it's hard to believe, but it's completely true. I got accepted to a place where my fly was open (Yeah, it's true, and the interviewer noticed. I was wondering why he was looking down. Realized after the interview!!!!)

It's all about your personality, how you carry yourself and how you answer those questions.

Good luck!

Jade~

Originally posted by Buttercup2003
Hey people,

I was wondering if it's okay for women to wear a pant suit to an interview (at Texas schools). For some reason, my pre-med advisor was very if-y on whether it's acceptable. I know I won't get rejected just because of my wardrobe selection, but still every little bit counts in the final impression. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
That should have been posted on the funniest interview stories. You had your fly down and he was looking....maybe he was a peeeper ':eek:'

Originally posted by Jadeite
I had the misfortune of interviewing last year (and not getting in) and this year. last year I wore a skirt suit and this year - a pant suit. Didn't interview at UT, though, but here are my thoughts on the matter:

No, that's not the reason I got in. *BUT* the kind of girl I am, is a kind of girl MUCH more comfortable in a pantsuit. So that was one less thing to stress out about, one less worry on my mind and subconsciously soothing. I'm sure it *DID* help me do better in my interviews.

In my interview travels I've found that I was *NEVER* the only one in a pantsuit - there was always at least one other girl with pants. Most of the time pants were the majority, though there were a few times when the skirts had us.

In reality, your interviewer doesn't care, I know it's hard to believe, but it's completely true. I got accepted to a place where my fly was open (Yeah, it's true, and the interviewer noticed. I was wondering why he was looking down. Realized after the interview!!!!)

It's all about your personality, how you carry yourself and how you answer those questions.

Good luck!

Jade~
:eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :eek: :clap: :eek: :eek:

dressing for interview

I'd suggest Thousand Island, or perhaps Italian. Avoid Ranch dressing. Remember, you want to be conservative at these interviews.

I've interviewed at the schools in Texas and I've seen ladies wearing pantsuits at all of them; as long as it's business professional I doubt it matters. We're not that conservative down here ;-)

I would str8 up reject any attractive female applicant that wasn't wearing a skirt or something sexy. But that's just me :)

Yes it's acceptable...I've seen mostly black ones...

skirt suit, pantsuit...just wear whatever you're comfortable in that looks nice on you.

but for heaven's sake don't wear hunter green. ;) :laugh:

Originally posted by jwin
on my interviews, i have seen several women in pant-suits and i am pretty sure that everyone thought they looked professional. i think that they look more professional than skirts or whatever you were thinking of wearing. Both of my female interviewers were in pants so i am pretty sure that no one is going to look down on pants.

Pant suits are very professional but they are NOT more professional than skirt-suits.

it has been about 50/50 for pants/skirts at Texas interviews. as it gets colder there will probably be more pants. go for what makes you comfortable.

Hey people,

yeah, our mutual advisor did the same thing to me too, so I called someone I graduated with and asked her what it was like. guess I need to send her an email tomorrow and let her know to stop giving bad info.

Hey seaworthc,

with which texas schools have you interviewed? how were they . . . what kind of questions should i expect? i have my very first interview at ut-houston this friday, then i have another one at ut-galveston next month . . . still waiting to hear from other schools . . . anyways, i'm going with a black pant suit . . . hopefully our advisor's opinion is false.

buttercup, I sent you two pms. email is the best way to talk for me. ask away there.

seabass :)

i wonder if an interviewer has accepted/rejected someone solely based on their appearance... that would be rad.
peter

Originally posted by CaNEM
I'd suggest Thousand Island, or perhaps Italian. Avoid Ranch dressing. Remember, you want to be conservative at these interviews.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: