Drew and UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmijo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are these two seperate medical schools if so why do drew students take register for class at UCLA. I went to both websites and could not find an explanation. Does anyone care to explain? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know, the Drew/UCLA program is more geared towards those who want to serve disadvantaged communities. The students in this program do their pre-clinical training at Drew University and then transfer to UCLA for their clinical work. I hope this is helpful.

Originally posted by paisley:
•From what I know, the Drew/UCLA program is more geared towards those who want to serve disadvantaged communities. The students in this program do their pre-clinical training at Drew University and then transfer to UCLA for their clinical work. I hope this is helpful.•

with no offense intended to paisley, this is the opposite of the program format. Basic science years are at UCLA (I'm not sure if in the exact same classes as regular UCLA students) and the clinincal training is done at the Drew Campus which is in downtown LA. The program is geared toward those interested in primary care expecially in underserved urban populations. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
so do you apply to UCLA and then to the drew program or you apply directly to Drew?

I sincerely apologize for the misinformation. I should have double-checked. :(

No, you apply to only the drew program...
You do your first two years @ ucla with the rest of the ucla med students, and then you do your rotations at martin luther king hospital...and it is for people who are interested in underserved areas.
I strongly suggest you don't apply unless you have a whole lot of work in this area, otherwise you will be wasting your time. It is a small class and people who get in, show their commitment with the work they have done. Hope that helps.

Originally posted by joojoobeware:
•No, you apply to only the drew program...
You do your first two years @ ucla with the rest of the ucla med students, and then you do your rotations at martin luther king hospital...and it is for people who are interested in underserved areas.
I strongly suggest you don't apply unless you have a whole lot of work in this area, otherwise you will be wasting your time. It is a small class and people who get in, show their commitment with the work they have done. Hope that helps.•

Absolutely. Make sure that you have a VERY strong commitment to underserved areas in Los Angeles and have proven this dedication through volunteering or community service. My premed advisor is on the Adcom for Drew, and he says that they screen applicants such that unless the applicant has done volunteer work in the LA area and can demonstrate that this is what they truly want to do, they will not be interviewed at all. This is really a very small program, so it is very very select. I have several friends who interviewed there or are current students, and they tell me that almost all of the students are URM.

i thought drew was in new jersey so how are they related?

Originally posted by dan385
i thought drew was in new jersey so how are they related?

Simple. You thought wrong.