Drew & UCLA Admissions Process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nefertari

Undercover Premed
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After some research, I'm still not sure how Drew & UCLA negotiate the admissions process. I know that we apply to these programs separately and that the ~ 25 positions @ Drew are geared toward applicants interested in working w/ a socio-econ. disadvantaged population. Drew students do the first 2 years w/ UCLA students, then the rotations at Drew.

However, it seems that the acceptance #'s for UCLA include those from Drew. Is it possible to be considered by both programs? Do the 2 adcoms discuss applicants? Any ideas anybody? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Please allow me to bump up an old question, since it seems that Drew has started sending out 2ndaries. I browsed through some old threads from last year, but still have some questions. Tried calling the Drew office, and even left a message, but they don't seem to answer the phone or return messages.

I'd also like to get a sense of the dynamics of the program, considering that it's such a small group, and predominantly African-American (i.e. does it become too incestuous or confining?). Don't mean to offend anybody--I'd just like to get a better idea of what it's like to do the last 2 years of clinical rotations w/ only 24 people.

Btw, the Learning Channel just covered the ER @ ML King/Drew Med Ctr tonight. They'll probably be repeating it throughout the week. They interviewed mostly the residents. Very intense--lots of gang violence (stabbings, GSW's). Please respond if you're familiar w/ any aspect of the program. Thanks.

Does everybody applying to Drew/UCLA receive a secondary? Does anybody know? There really isnt much info published on Drew. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DaBruin
Does everybody applying to Drew/UCLA receive a secondary? Does anybody know? There really isnt much info published on Drew. Any help would be great. Thanks!

No, Drew screens, but they're a bit behind the UCLA. I believe it was bruinmojo who was just received it this week. Congrats, btw! :clap:

Glad they're moving quicker this year!

I just got mine today. No love from UCLA yet, but Drew/UCLA has been kind enough. Does anybody know what % of applicants receive the secondary? I think this program is great and just want to know my chances of being accepted. Thanks again!

Hey, congrats also DaBruin! :clap:

I know they offer 50 acceptances for the 24 spots. I think they send out either 250 (or 500) 2ndaries--sorry, I'm not definite. If you dig deep, you might be able to find the exact # in the old threads from last year.

I just read that UCLA has to make the final approval of those accepted. However, I would love to know if you can be accepted to only 1 program--i.e. either UCLA or Drew (but not both?). Very confusing, since UCLA's class #'s includes the 24 from Drew.

Originally posted by Nefertari
No, Drew screens, but they're a bit behind the UCLA. I believe it was bruinmojo who was just received it this week. Congrats, btw! :clap:

Glad they're moving quicker this year!

Ahh, thanks Nefertari.

I went and checked out the hospital today. I personally would love to be in their program. It's basically UCLA except you do your clinical rotations at Drew (3rd and 4th year). I was just thinking about it, and I think I would prefer working in an underserved area.

bruinmojo,

Did you talk to many interns? What was the hospital like? Would love to hear more @ your visit! That TLC special focused only on the ER.

well, I went and checked it out with my dad. He had worked there many years back as a fellow. He basically gave me my tour :) heh.

The hospital is a pretty decent one. Looks like your average public hospital. Big thing for this school is whether you really want to work in an underserving area and whether you are able to speak spanish.

hmm...still no luck finding how many secondaries they send out. If anybody out there knows, it would be a tremendous help.:)

bump

any clue with the %age?

Originally posted by DaBruin
I just got mine today. No love from UCLA yet, but Drew/UCLA has been kind enough. Does anybody know what % of applicants receive the secondary? I think this program is great and just want to know my chances of being accepted. Thanks again!

Congrats!!!!!:clap:

Can you post the questions?

Grassy A$$!

Members don't see this ad :)
these are the questions, and it's a bunch of them. Though it gives you no more than a paragraph of space to fill each one up.

-If you have experienced an uneven performance in grades and academic achievement, explain what you have done about it

-If you are currently not a full time student, explain your current activities.

-Describe the role you play in your immediate family

-How woudl you describe the community and socioeconomic environment in which you spent your childhood.

-List the most significant community, public service, and leadership activities you have been involved with over the last six years.

-To what extent have your past experiences and/or accomplishments deomstrated your understanding of and commitment to underserved communities

-what role will you play as a physician in the changing health care system over the next 10 years.

-what is the most important health care issue confronting underserved communitities? how would you address it?

-what are your career plans if you are not accepted to medical school

-How did you first learn about Drew

-In the remaining space, provide any additional information which will give the admissions committee greater insight about you as an applicant.

Just got the Drew 2ndary yesterday. I talked to a nice lady @ UCLA today & was told that the admissions process for the 2 programs are completely separate, and that in the past, there have been apps given acceptances to both programs.

My premed advisor thinks, though, that the 2 offices probably don't want to admit that they discuss apps, and have their own way of deciding who would be a good match for UCLA or Drew.

Just got the Drew 2ndary yesterday.

Sweet!!!!

How did they notify you (us.mail or email)? and when was your AMCAS verified and sent to Drew?

I've received UCLA's Secondary but I haven't heard from Drew.

Thanks.

amcas transmission date: 7/25/02 14:32
receipt of 2ary via snail mail: 9/13/02

AMCAS Transmission to Drew: 9/05
Secondary received via snail mail: 9/18

The transmission date is the last one my AMCAS shows...thats after the date changed every single day! If you can make sense of it, then great, if not then u can join me in confusion.

DrHTM,

Drew sent a postcard saying that they received my amcas 7/22, though it was verified mid-June. UCLA is automated, but Drew is not, so they notify by us mail. I haven't received any emails from them. If you have questions, Wanda Hall is the admissions coordinator there.

Don't worry, looks like they're sending out batches each week. As you can see some folks received them last week, and some this week. Email them if you don't hear in the next few weeks. They don't return phone messages.

DrHTM,

Drew sent a postcard saying that they received my amcas 7/22, though it was verified mid-June. UCLA is automated, but Drew is not, so they notify by us mail. I haven't received any emails from them. If you have questions, Wanda Hall is the admissions coordinator there.

Don't worry, looks like they're sending out batches each week. As you can see some folks received them last week, and some this week. Email them if you don't hear in the next few weeks. They don't return phone messages.

Thanks....do you happen to have Wanda Hall's phone number?

I feel a little better...so I guess since my AMCAS was sent out on the 8th and verified on the 6th of sept....I still have a couple of weeks till i hear anything from them.

Any rejections from Drew?

Thanks....do you happen to have Wanda Hall's phone number?
[/B]

From the 2ndary info, seems the best way to reach her is by email or fax:

[email protected]
fax: (323) 563-4957

They're understaffed, so they don't often have a receptionist picking up the phone. You can try calling (323) 563-4952 (or 563-4800), but I've had no luck. Good idea to check, though. I was reading @ someone from last year who never received the 2ndary in the mail & didn't realize she was approved for one til Jan!

Does Anyone know how hard it is to get accepted to Drew if you are not from an underserved area? I am not a URM and am not from a underserved area, but I really have been clear about my desire to work with underserved groups. Any ideas?

Originally posted by KatieJune
Does Anyone know how hard it is to get accepted to Drew if you are not from an underserved area? I am not a URM and am not from a underserved area, but I really have been clear about my desire to work with underserved groups. Any ideas?

KatieJune,

I remember reading from last year's threads that a white app who was not from a disadvantaged background was interviewed/accepted b/c of his work/volunteer experiences w/ underserved communities. You'll find it if you do a seach.

Got a few PM's from SDN'ers about Drew and its admissions process......Took the time to do a search here on SDN and decided to resurrect this old post from the archives. I hope that this helps people out. Good luck!!!!