drew/ucla secondary

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jdub, Nov 26, 2001.

1. jdub

jdub Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hello,

i just got a secondary from this program, does anybody know if they actually do any screening or if they send secondaries out to everybody?

i'm not a urm, but i have lived in ecuador and i can speak spanish okay, so i am kind of wondering if it is worth my while to send in the secondary?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gower

gower 1K Member

In the Drew/UCLA program, 24 students are trained for the first two years at UCLA, then physically in the third and fourth years at Charles Drew University/Martin Luther King Hospital. The mission is to identify candidates for admission who have demonstrated that they are committed to working in underserved communities as a physician.

In California, there is great need for Spanish speaking physicians.

4. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'

What does the Drew secondary ask? How is it structured, etc?

thanks for the help

5. Jedi In Training

Jedi In Training Senior Member

They ask LOTS of questions about your activities and commitment to working with the underserved, including your background/childhood. I spent a week on this one.

6. Triangulation

Triangulation 1K Member

Pharmacist
    Are they generally more selective than the other UCs? I heard they were. Drew seems to be one of the more difficult schools to really research. I haven't been able to extract much from their website.

7. none

none 1K Member

I know nothing about Drew, but I would say the UCs in general retain their level of selectivity from undergad admissions, excepting UCSF of course. Thus in terms of GPA/MCAT stats...SF>LA>SD>D>I

8. gower

gower 1K Member

If you are still interested in Drew, they invite you to call them at 323/563 4960. This information is in the MSAR.