Drexel Class Of 2009!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babybop112

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats going on people?? this posting is for all those who have been accepted to Drexel and are planning to attend!! feel free to post any comments/ questions concerning housing, classes, Philly, general, etc...

Also go ahead and post where you went to undergrad......

I'll begin: Northwestern University

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I'm a first year at Drexel and absolutely love it. :)

Heard from them yesterday. (yay!!!) I can't wait to see the school again. I also want to check out the Hanenham Hospital this time around if there's a second look.

I was actually searching for this thread, didn't want to be the dork starting one.

I'm from Chicago too (U of Chicago). When did you hear from them? For the IFM v. PIL curriculum, my mom got the letter so I didn't get to read it but she told me we had to choose within 21 days of receiving the letter, the track we wanted. I guess I'm going have to do more researching. I sat in for the info session on PIL but still not sure if I'm 100% committed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Went to Tulane undergrad...

Just got my acceptance as well and so excited to go!... Im sending in my deposit tomorrow. I really liked the fact IFM is symptom based, and overall I just felt really comfortable in the school. (Residency placements are pretty nice too, and so is the faculty).

I was considering the PIL... it seems that it would be extremely helpful in the long run. But eventhough Im sure that you'd learn everything you need to, I cant see how it would be as information-dense as the IFM lectures? Any insights?

When do you think it would be a good time to start looking for housing??

When did you all interview?

Freakingzooming said:
I'm from Chicago too (U of Chicago). When did you hear from them? For the IFM v. PIL curriculum, my mom got the letter so I didn't get to read it but she told me we had to choose within 21 days of receiving the letter, the track we wanted. I guess I'm going have to do more researching. I sat in for the info session on PIL but still not sure if I'm 100% committed.

If you guys have questions about the PIL program, I'm a first year and can answer any questions! I'm not sure that 21 day thing is set, but its a good idea to send in the paper work soon. People in our class actually switched in during orientation, and some people switched out so its not all set in stone.

Whats up everyone...i've been accepted to drexel. Has anyone received financial aid info or any sort of follow-up from them? I haven't heard anything from them since i received a deposit confirmation.

Hey musicdr,
Do you know anything about the waitlist at Drexel? How many people get off of it and when is the earliest we'll hear by? Thanks!
- Missy

naimist said:
Hey musicdr,
Do you know anything about the waitlist at Drexel? How many people get off of it and when is the earliest we'll hear by? Thanks!
- Missy

Sorry, I don't have specifics! did you write a letter of interest since your interview?? That would be my first recommendation!

Just from talking to classmates, lots of people are accepted after february and March. I really don't know if its from waitlists or not. I wish I could help you out more.

Who's going Drexel next year?

RaaMD said:
Who's going Drexel next year?

right here, very much looking forwards to starting

I'm a first year at Drexel and really love it!!! Start getting excited! Drexel is a great school!

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet?

bump, yah, i got the financial aid packet a few weeks ago.

What is the 2005-2006 tuition amount?

Hell yeah Drexel U. College of Medicine class of 2009. Here we go.

Interviewed in early December, heard back a few weeks later.

Undergrad: University of New Hampshire

Anyone have their living situation setup and if so have any advice about the area for someone who has no clue?

Public transportation?
Safety?
Rent?

Thanks

tuition is 36K+. start saving your pocket change. sent in my financial aid stuff a while ago, havent got anything back yet...

hell yeah--just got accepted yesterday!! I am extremely excited, still a bit numb, and looking forward to meeting my fellow dragons. If anyone has any q's about philly (more specifically downtown), I would love to help as i've resided in philly(btw, one of the best/most dense biomedical science hubs in the US) for the past 6 yrs... I love this town and look forward to 4 more excellent years.

I graduated from U o' Penn in 2003 and have been working as a research tech at HUP since (not a bad gig, but really happy to move on) I may or may not decide to stay at my current apt downtown (15min from queen lane)--any advice from some current students regarding shuttle hours/regional rail accesibility would be greatly appreciated.

love always,
biffer

HAmin112 said:
Hell yeah Drexel U. College of Medicine class of 2009. Here we go.

Undergrad: University of New Hampshire

Anyone have their living situation setup and if so have any advice about the area for someone who has no clue?

Public transportation?
Safety?
Rent?

Thanks

bump

Biffer said:
hell yeah--just got accepted yesterday!! I am extremely excited, still a bit numb, and looking forward to meeting my fellow dragons. If anyone has any q's about philly (more specifically downtown), I would love to help as i've resided in philly(btw, one of the best/most dense biomedical science hubs in the US) for the past 6 yrs... I love this town and look forward to 4 more excellent years.

I graduated from U o' Penn in 2003 and have been working as a research tech at HUP since (not a bad gig, but really happy to move on) I may or may not decide to stay at my current apt downtown (15min from queen lane)--any advice from some current students regarding shuttle hours/regional rail accesibility would be greatly appreciated.

love always,
biffer

Hey, I graduated from Penn 2003 too. I work at CHOP. Geez, maybe we know each other. what was your major biffer?

yeah cottagepepper, we must be somewhat familiar as i was BBB as well, haha. I wasn't too fond of BBB 251 or for that matter, much of the major.

i'm too lazy to PM at the moment so i'll partially out myself here- first name F...D, last name starts w. R ..... that should be specific enough.

u going to drexel?

sorry im relatively new to this website, and i've seen bump written in a few places. what is bump?

what's up everyone?!? quick question...have you guys received your award letters? I just called the financial aid office and the lady told me that i still have to sign my master promissary note. It was my understanding that we sign this after the award letters are issued, correct? How are we supposed to sign it if we haven't gotten the award letters? Have you guys signed it?

Hey you two guys who are leaving research positions at HUP and CHOP, do y'all mind if I PM you? I'm looking for a job in Philly and haven't found anything. I'm not too keen on being in a basic science lab but something is better than nothing!

Biffer said:
yeah cottagepepper, we must be somewhat familiar as i was BBB as well, haha. I wasn't too fond of BBB 251 or for that matter, much of the major.

i'm too lazy to PM at the moment so i'll partially out myself here- first name F...D, last name starts w. R ..... that should be specific enough.

u going to drexel?

Hi Biff,
I got waitlisted at Penn but most likely I will go to Drexel. I was BBB major too... I liked 251, but that's all in the past. hmmm... I don't know any F...D but yeah, you can PM me whenever you don't feel so lazy.

tigress said:
Hey you two guys who are leaving research positions at HUP and CHOP, do y'all mind if I PM you? I'm looking for a job in Philly and haven't found anything. I'm not too keen on being in a basic science lab but something is better than nothing!

Yes, please feel free to PM me.

cottagepepper said:
Yes, please feel free to PM me.
Hi Guy! I got accepted in Feb, 05...did anyone of you heard anything from the financial aid affice, I sent in my stuff ( except the promissory note) a while a go....but still hear nothing from them :confused:

I've done a search of living situations in Philly, and found some good info. Does anyone have their own perspective they want to offer. Looking forward to Drexel this fall.

hey guys,
I've been living in philadelphia (west philly and currently center city) for the past 6yrs and I've found the city constantly stimulating and affordable, very rare. If you want to live downtown (appx 15-20min from queen lane), you will have to look pretty thoroughly to find a decently priced studio/1bdrm. I have been living at 1530 spruce st. (great location) in a 2bdrm for 660$.mo-very reasonable-my bldg is far from the nicest in the area, but very livable. Overall, cheaper bargains are hard to find downtown but quality of life/access to culture/entertainment are at your doorstep. Personally, i've enjoyed the distractions of living in a large city and i'm leaning toward staying in center city through medical school. also-shuttle/regional train service are very closeby.
sorry, i can't really speak to the area surrounding drexel with the exception of manayunk which is an affordable, hip area within a 5 min drive. After scanning rents online, it seems that the queen lane area has some really cheap 1bdrm options (350-600ish).

safety isn't a major concern in center city (one of the safest areas in phill) and the area around drexel med seems pretty safe/charming, nothing blighted and shacked up as is the case surrounding temple u in north philly.

hope this helps,
Biff

yes tigress--there are many new vacancies, please PM-
btw-I work in a clinical research lab, very interesting stuff.

Oh yeah I also want to say to all of y'all -- congrats! Drexel is such an awesome school. I'll probably (hopefully) be there the year after you.

As far as where to live, I know of people who live in Center City, some in University City (Penn area), and a bunch live right in East Falls area near the Drexel campus (Queen Lane). My husband and I live in Bala Cynwyd, which is another suburb about 15 minutes from school, like Manayunk. There are a ton of nice areas around here with pretty affordable housing. Probably the best deals are in Center City, though, or maybe near Queen Lane. Also if you live near school you don't necessarily need a car, but anywhere else you do of course.

Anyway not completely on topic, but this afternoon we went on some really nice hiking trails at Wissahickon Gorge and I fell in love with the Chestnut Hill area. It has these cute cobblestone streets and little shops, sort of village like, and then these huge fancy houses right next to the wooded trails and park area. There are so many neat places in Philly to explore!

hey drexel med class of 2009

1) congratulations on getting in and I hope you to see you in the fall
2) i just finished my 2nd year at Drexel and am studying for boards and such!. i can't believe that it's already that time.

3) if you have any questions on anything (financial aid, classes, etc.) feel free to ask. I'm one of the social chairs for the class of 2007, so i'm sure i'll see you all at a bunch of the school events.

again, if you let have any questions....feel free to ask.

take it easy

ucb
Drexel Med
Class of 2007

Hey everyone,

I'll be going to Drexel Med in the Fall too.

I just graduated from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, OH. I'm a native of Pittsburgh and I'm looking forward to living in Philadelphia.

I did send in all the financial aid stuff, not the promisory note, and haven't heard anything from them yet.

I'm starting the process of finding an apartment now.

Hello, I'll be at Drexel with you guys this Fall :) . I'm from California; graduated from UC San Diego in 2003, took a year off and traveled, and am now finishing my year in Georgetown's Special Masters program. I miss California, but I love DC and am definitely looking forward to getting to know Philadelphia! I was actually born there (at MCP) but moved away when I was about 2 so I don't remember anything.

I still don't know where I want to live, but a few people have mentioned that Manayunk would be a cool place, so I'm considering that. What about you guys?

Looking forward to meeting you.

Hi!

I'll be at Drexel in August too. (I still can't bring myself to call august fall :p) I graduated from U. Nebraska but grew up in State College and I can't wait to be back in PA. I'm actually moving on tuesday and will live with my sister in valley forge for the summer while I find an apartment and stuff. I'm going to be doing PIL ..it just really fits how I like to learn.

Right now I think I'd like to live near the school, but I'll see what I find.

Hi everyone,
I am a first year finishing up in 5 days! Just wanted to welcome you all and let you know that your orientation is going to be a lot of fun! I am on a few of the committees, and we are planning some really fun events(I won't spoil it for you just yet, and instead let you get the official notices in the mail, plus not all the details have been finalized).

A couple of you asked if you could still live downtown and get to school. I actually live in Center City and take the shuttle every day. It runs every 30 minutes from Hahnemann hospital to Queen Lane, and is very reliable. One thing you might want to keep in mind is that as first years, your exams/quizzes are often at 8 or 8:30 am, so that can be kind of a drag having to get even earlier just to make the shuttle! However, I personally feel there is so much more to do in Center City than in East Falls, but each unto their own.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions.

Enjoy the rest of your summer, and I look forward to meeting you all in August!

Flick

I've been living in Center City too, and I'm going to stay there for school. I'll just crash at my friends' place (in East Falls) when we have exams. Then everyone can crash at my apartment when we go out in Center City. I think it's a good deal. :cool:

How much is rent in Center City?

econstudent said:
How much is rent in Center City?

Rent varies in Philly from about 500- 600 for studios, and 550-800 for 1Brs. The thing to remember in Center city is you probably won't have parking, and its usually a little more expensive for the same size apartment you could find around the Queen Lane area. You definitely cut your rent down if you live in a 2Br with a roomate. 2Br go for around 700-1,000 for some pretty decent places. Think about it! I'm planning on doing that next year to cut down on costs.

Rent in general varies depending on amenities, the area, all that kind of stuff. I will pay 775 next year, but I know people who pay in the area of 500-550. If you spend a good deal looking now, you're more likely to find a good deal than if you wait. Many 4th years are moving out this month so lots of apartments are opening up. Don't wait too long though!

Just my two cents.

Hi everyone,
I just finished the Drexel MPH program and my roommate is a PIL-1. East Falls is a great place to live, and if anyone has any questions about it, PM me.

Along those lines, however, we're trying to leave our apartment August 1, and it would be great to pass it along to other med students. 2nd floor, large 2 br, 1 bath, attic and basement storage, lots of free street parking. Individually-controlled C/A and heat. We're looking for someone to take over our lease August 1 and then renew September 1. Orientation starts August 1, so that's perfect timing (we can give it to you a few days early if you need)! Rent is $935/month + util. Did I mention it's right across the street from the med school?

Hi Everybody,

I just rent a studio at East fall ( 1/2 block from the medical school) on last saturday at a very reasonable rate (<$500); I find this place on the Student housing data base.
Click current student at the home page, then click on student affair office, and then you will see a link to the student housing data base.
By the way, did anyone hear anything from the financial aid office yet; I am still waiting for my award letter :mad: , I have no idea when will they send it to me

:luck:

For those of you waiting on financial aid, you might have to wait a bit longer b/c of some administrative changes going on:

1. The Director of Financial just stepped down, so the office is a little short-staffed right now.

2. I think they usually process current students first, before the first years(don't quote me on that).

3. There is a whole bunch of activity going on right now with current students consolidating their loans before the scheduled rate increase in July, so that is no doubt backing things up as well.

As you will quickly learn, you have to be VERY patient with our financial aid office. In fact, it would probably be a good idea to have some money with you for the first week weeks of classes, b/c our loan checks have always come in late.

PM me if you have more specific questions about financial aid.

Flick

Flick said:
As you will quickly learn, you have to be VERY patient with our financial aid office. In fact, it would probably be a good idea to have some money with you for the first week weeks of classes, b/c our loan checks have always come in late.

PM me if you have more specific questions about financial aid.

Flick

Be patient. Very patient.

We had some problems last year with finacial aid, and if you are expecting a check to pay for August rent and bills you won't get it before then. The checks normally go out around the 2nd week in August IF all your paperwork was handed in on time, and correct. Things that can help:
1) Don't be afraid to call and ask if your paperwork is in and correct. Call several times over the summer. It won't hurt.
2) If something is wrong, take care of it right away. Call the director if things aren't working(who is an interim person until they find a new one), as that usually helps to fix problems quickly
3) If you're not using drexel's preferred lender, be prepared to be on top of the office. Several students who used other lenders (like T.H. E. loans), had problems with paperwork, checks, etc. If you're on top of it though, it shoulndn't be a problem.

I personally don't think this is a drexel related problem at all, I've always had tons of problems with institution finacial aid and you just have to learn to be persistant and patient.

So can i ask how many of you '09ers are moving fwd. with this financial aid? So far i've completed my master promissary note and done most of the paper work. They ahve yet to send me my award letter, so i called them and they told me how much federal subsidized and unsubsidized i would receive. They also said i would need to do the alternative loan program through medloans for a decent some of money due to my high efc. Anyway, so i started fillling out the Alternative Loan on the internet but for some reason was unable to electronically sign it. So i called sallie mae and the kind lady said that i couldn't submit this loan electronically (who knew?) but had to fill out the actual paper form. Before i can submit it to sallie mae however, i need drexel to sign off and consent that i really do need that amount of money from the ALP. Only problem is

1) The lady at sallie mae said this needs to be done by June 15 (are you kidding.....how was i supposed to know that????)

2) nobody, i mean nobody, has picked up at the drexel financial aid office in three days!

What do i do?!? Help!!

notsittinpretty said:
So can i ask how many of you '09ers are moving fwd. with this financial aid? So far i've completed my master promissary note and done most of the paper work. They ahve yet to send me my award letter, so i called them and they told me how much federal subsidized and unsubsidized i would receive. They also said i would need to do the alternative loan program through medloans for a decent some of money due to my high efc. Anyway, so i started fillling out the Alternative Loan on the internet but for some reason was unable to electronically sign it. So i called sallie mae and the kind lady said that i couldn't submit this loan electronically (who knew?) but had to fill out the actual paper form. Before i can submit it to sallie mae however, i need drexel to sign off and consent that i really do need that amount of money from the ALP. Only problem is

1) The lady at sallie mae said this needs to be done by June 15 (are you kidding.....how was i supposed to know that????)

2) nobody, i mean nobody, has picked up at the drexel financial aid office in three days!

What do i do?!? Help!!

you can actually go on the website at drexel.edu/med.. go to current students and there should be a banner for Class of 2009 info..

you can set up your password and get your email/school acct and find out your fin aid from DrexelONE

any PIL first years or second years could you please PM me.. i have questions concerning PIL and wondering if its something i want to consider doing thanks

Your amazing....thanks so much

cheers

notsittinpretty said:
So far i've completed my master promissary note and done most of the paper work.

When did you receive a master promissory note? I was accepted at Drexel but have not received anything about financial aid except for a postcard telling me about a 10-installation payment plan.