Drexel DPMS 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey fella's and ladies I got in , i also interviewed on March 20 alizery, best of luck to you man.

However i decided to go over to g-town for the GEMS program, i just felt it was a better fit for me. But best of luck to everyone and if someone's on a waitlist .. HEY ! here's a spot opening.

Best of wishes everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

We were placed in meyers hall last summer. The building is quite awful, you are given a small double much like undergrad of freshman year. But at the same time, its free, so you cant really complain. You have to get your own source of food, and there are a lot of places to get that around there. Most of us lived in Stiles hall (center city) because its a 2 min walk from where all of the classes were. Just wait a few weeks to meet other people in the program who you think are cool enough to room with and get a 2/3 bdrm. A few people lived around the Queen Lane area, and although it will be a bit cheaper you will need to take a 20 min shuttle ride to center city that only runs weekdays. so unless you are bringing a car I wouldnt recommend it.

How much is stiles hall? Do u get ur own room?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey fella's and ladies I got in , i also interviewed on March 20 alizery, best of luck to you man.

However i decided to go over to g-town for the GEMS program, i just felt it was a better fit for me. But best of luck to everyone and if someone's on a waitlist .. HEY ! here's a spot opening.

Best of wishes everyone.

I will also be vacating my position since I got love from GEMS. Best of luck to everyone and I hope we're all M1's next year in September.:thumbup:

Does anyone know the exact date that the summer session ends and the actually school year begins? I'm hoping there will be at least 2 wks.

Does anyone know the exact date that the summer session ends and the actually school year begins? I'm hoping there will be at least 2 wks.

Hey guys, I got in too!!! I'm wayyyyy excited because I was not offered a GEMS interview. I'm so thankful it worked out. I feel so blessed..anway, I don't know when the summer session ends or even when it begins. There wasn't much info sent in the official acceptance letter. Can someone post the date that class begins and which dorm we'll be staying in? Thanks..see you guys soon!!

it was 6 weeks last year and you'll get about 2 weeks between the end of summer and the beginning of fall

Hey guys, I got in too!!! I'm wayyyyy excited because I was not offered a GEMS interview. I'm so thankful it worked out. I feel so blessed..anway, I don't know when the summer session ends or even when it begins. There wasn't much info sent in the official acceptance letter. Can someone post the date that class begins and which dorm we'll be staying in? Thanks..see you guys soon!!

i received an email stating that it starts june 15. orientation is at 9:30 am

it also states that fall orientation is august 3rd. so if summer session is 6 wks long that would give us about 1 week off before fall starts.

it was 6 weeks last year and you'll get about 2 weeks between the end of summer and the beginning of fall

Hi TruSchool,

Can you tell me about the dorm situation (I think its myers hall this year again), did you have your own room or did you share with another classmate? And did you have a microwave and fridge? I'm broke and I don't want to dine out all the time, would like to go on a sandwich diet to save money. Oh is the dorm hot, should I get me a fan? Last question - Does the dorm have wireless internet access?
Thanks for all the info you have given us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi TruSchool,

...And did you have a microwave and fridge? I'm broke and I don't want to dine out all the time, would like to go on a sandwich diet to save money. Oh is the dorm hot, should I get me a fan? Last question - Does the dorm have wireless internet access?

ditto

also, i'll have to rent a storage unit in philly to store my stuff until i move in to an apartment. anyone willing to share a unit?
TruSchool, know any good storage unit who gives discount to college students?

Hi TruSchool,

Can you tell me about the dorm situation (I think its myers hall this year again), did you have your own room or did you share with another classmate? And did you have a microwave and fridge? I'm broke and I don't want to dine out all the time, would like to go on a sandwich diet to save money. Oh is the dorm hot, should I get me a fan? Last question - Does the dorm have wireless internet access?

Everyone except one person last year had a double. So yes, you will most likely share a room. Myers hall is one of the oldest dorm rooms at drexel's undergrad, it isnt great. you will need to take a 10 min shuttle ride everyday to get to center city where the summer classes are. the room doesnt come with a microwave or fridge. there was a small kitchen that we all shared down the hall, though. many people used that for dinner. there is A/C in the room, wireless access was available after registering at the Korman center (across market street), but I remember it being pretty bad and not working at the time, could be fixed by now though.

Everyone except one person last year had a double. So yes, you will most likely share a room. Myers hall is one of the oldest dorm rooms at drexel's undergrad, it isnt great. you will need to take a 10 min shuttle ride everyday to get to center city where the summer classes are. the room doesnt come with a microwave or fridge. there was a small kitchen that we all shared down the hall, though. many people used that for dinner. there is A/C in the room, wireless access was available after registering at the Korman center (across market street), but I remember it being pretty bad and not working at the time, could be fixed by now though.

Tru, can we opt to not live in the dorms for the six weeks? I live only like 15 min from center city.

Last edited:
Hi, how did everyone arrange financial aid. I just got the offer with no mention of a fin aid applicaiton or anything.

Hi, how did everyone arrange financial aid. I just got the offer with no mention of a fin aid applicaiton or anything.

I called the financial aid office and i was told that they will be at orientation on monday the 15th to talk to us. Also, now that we are accepted by Drexel, they will look at our FAFSA and put an award package together.

Oh and a past DPMSer told me that we get a stipend for the summer,but he doesnt know how much it will be this year.

I called the financial aid office and i was told that they will be at orientation on monday the 15th to talk to us. Also, now that we are accepted by Drexel, they will look at our FAFSA and put an award package together.

Oh and a past DPMSer told me that we get a stipend for the summer,but he doesnt know how much it will be this year.

Very nice. Thanks Samilu.

I was unsure if I was going to attend but have decided to now. What is the latest we can give the $500 deposit?

Last edited:
You dont have to live in the dorms. We got a $3500 loan last year, not a stipend, you will have to pay it back. Its interest free for one year, but after that its like 6%. They will tell you all the financial aid stuff the within the first two days you are there. I believe the $500 deposit needs to be sent in before you start orientation.

Is anyone else having a hard time obtaining their immunization records caus I seriously dont think I'll meet Monday's deadline.

Also did everyone get their PPD and Meningitis shots already?

Is anyone else having a hard time obtaining their immunization records caus I seriously dont think I'll meet Monday's deadline.

Also did everyone get their PPD and Meningitis shots already?

Yeah I had some trouble. I got my records from my college and had them sent directly to Drexel. I haven't completed the immunization page because I don't have a primary doctor so i'm not exactly sure how that's going to work out.

Yeah I had some trouble. I got my records from my college and had them sent directly to Drexel. I haven't completed the immunization page because I don't have a primary doctor so i'm not exactly sure how that's going to work out.

This is so annoying man. Yeah, I dont have a PCP neither so I'm not sure who is going to sign it even after I get my immunization record. Perhaps you can just have any PCP fill it out for a reasonable fee. I have everything else in except this.:bang:

This is so annoying man. Yeah, I dont have a PCP neither so I'm not sure who is going to sign it even after I get my immunization record. Perhaps you can just have any PCP fill it out for a reasonable fee. I have everything else in except this

Required immunizations by DUCOM:

Required Immunizations
Hepatitis B
All medical students are required to have been immunized against Hepatitis B. Hepatitis B immunization consists of a series of three injections that should be completed prior to or as soon as possible after matriculation to insure safety at the time of patient contact. Students who do not have documentation of the dates of the series of three vaccines, may instead submit written proof of positive immunity.

Measles/Mumps/Rubella
All students are required to have two Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR) immunizations. Students without documentation of two specific dates of their MMR immunizations must submit written proof of positive Antibody Titres for Measles, Mumps and Rubella.

Polio, Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis
Students are required to have documentation of their primary series against Polio. Students are required to have documentation of their primary series in Diptheria/Pertussis and Tetanus. Additionally, students shall have had a Tdap booster within the past ten years. Students with a DT booster greater than two years ago are still required to have a Tdap booster.

Varicella
Students with a history of varicella should have documentation. Appropriate documentation includes a date of Varicella infection (Chicken Pox), in writing, from a healthcare provider. Students without a history of varicella, or vaccination, must submit written documentation of positive Antibody titre. Non-immune students will not be permitted on some clinical services, for example, rotations at St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children.

Source: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/handbook/HealthPolicy.html

Thanks Icanhazbuttseks :rofl:
Hep B - check
Meningitis - check

MAd excited here people. Sunday's coming.

Required immunizations by DUCOM:

Required Immunizations
Hepatitis B
All medical students are required to have been immunized against Hepatitis B. Hepatitis B immunization consists of a series of three injections that should be completed prior to or as soon as possible after matriculation to insure safety at the time of patient contact. Students who do not have documentation of the dates of the series of three vaccines, may instead submit written proof of positive immunity.

Measles/Mumps/Rubella
All students are required to have two Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR) immunizations. Students without documentation of two specific dates of their MMR immunizations must submit written proof of positive Antibody Titres for Measles, Mumps and Rubella.

Polio, Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis
Students are required to have documentation of their primary series against Polio. Students are required to have documentation of their primary series in Diptheria/Pertussis and Tetanus. Additionally, students shall have had a Tdap booster within the past ten years. Students with a DT booster greater than two years ago are still required to have a Tdap booster.

Varicella
Students with a history of varicella should have documentation. Appropriate documentation includes a date of Varicella infection (Chicken Pox), in writing, from a healthcare provider. Students without a history of varicella, or vaccination, must submit written documentation of positive Antibody titre. Non-immune students will not be permitted on some clinical services, for example, rotations at St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children.

Source: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/handbook/HealthPolicy.html

Hey all.. So is check in after 4 or after 5? I feel like I've seen both times, has anyone confirmed which is correct?

Do we know who's rooming with who? wouldn't that make the room arrangements easier (who's bringing what?). i know it's only for six weeks...but having 2 fridges and no microwaves could be slightly awkward...:confused:

so i have heard too many times that there is this tension between dpms and msp students because dpms has a conditional acceptance with fewer requirements than msp.... can past dpms students give their perspective

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted into the DPMS program, first of all. You'll soon find out that this summer session is grueling and tiresome but it WILL prepare you for the true academic year to come.

Now, in regards to your question: yes- there are SOME MSP & IMS people that will not be happy with your situations of a conditional acceptance. However, don't let that get to you or affect your end goal. Everyone in the post-bacc program is there to improve in one way or another their chances of getting into medical school. You'll find that if you associate with the proper people you are actually a great advantage to many of the MSPers and mainly IMSers b/c you have already some experience with the early lectures and resources. You guys will know the ropes initially and it's a great confidence booster for later on.

I did the DPMS program and it's been such an immense help. I'll be a second year at Drexel and am invovled with many many activities and student government. Let me know if any of you have questions. Also, I'm back from my vacation and will be in Philadelphia for any of you that would like tutoring, direction, advice, etc. I suggest you get comfortable with a tutor now and an idea of what will be expected of you in your classes.
Enjoy the orientation today and have a great start tomorrow!!
Feel free to PM me and get my contact details (anyone). I wish you all the best and CONGRATS again!

thanks!!! im actually in msp but i am a person of color ;) so i want us all to get along lol

How many students are in DPMS this year? I am on the wait list and they are truly giving me the run around. Did anyone hear about what they plan to do with the wait list this year?

Hi post-bac alumni,

most ppl that go into a postbac with a low 20 score (20-22) usually raise it to 27-29.... can anyone give some explanation for why they think its so difficult to get a 30+ score even after an intense yr of review? this is an honest question no one take offense plz i know a 7 or 8 pt increase is awesome!! but what does it take to get a 30+?