DREXEL Med Class of 2010!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where's the rest of our class?
Represent, DUCOM!!

Members don't see this ad.

Has Drexel sent out financial aid info? I know there's some online. I'm just trying to get this stuff organized, and I have the info from Penn State and Jefferson but I can't find the Drexel stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know of any schools that release aid information before April, actually. Penn State, for example, says to submit before the end of February, but that award letters will go out in April. So Drexel's process sounds normal to me (the same as other schools). And deadlines are generally somewhat flexible (think about it, some people get accepted after March 1st; my husband's FAFSA wasn't in at that point because he couldn't get parental info, but it didn't cause him trouble; I'm NOT saying to not do your FAFSA, just that it's rolling in that people will still be submitting for a while).

I do remember now that they sent something saying their financial aid stuff was online. Thanks for the reminder.

edit: I checked on their website, and the deadline for med students is May 1st. So I'm not sure if the deadline for incoming students is March 1st, or if it's just a recommended deadline, or what. But that can explain the rolling awards thing.

Hey guys,

I've been trying to set up my finaid to get it out of the way also. I have my fafsa complete. Im all freaking thumbs with this aid stuff so I called drexel and they told me that somtime in mid-march they will be sending out the rest of the information and I will be able to apply for my actual loans then. Unfortunately, they told me that I wont be able to get student loan defferment for the ones I'm already paying until end of July when I am officially matriculated.

As an added note, I am studying to exempt from microanatomy(histology) right now, using mainly the online recorded lectures and notes. I think the fact that you can view any lecture that has been given at drexel med at any time is an incredible resource to have and I cant imagine going to a medical school that didnt offer it. :)

I agree about the online lectures! I've actually seen a ton of them because of my husband. It's an amazing resource. A lot of the students actually watch them at 1.5x or 2x speed. I can't understand people at 2x speed, but my husband has gotten used to it, so he can watch an hour lecture in half an hour. I think I'd need more time just to absorb the info, though! :p Whenever I consider which school to go to, the online videos at Drexel are something that come to mind.

Hyman, why do you want to exempt microanatomy? Do they let you exempt with just an exam? I thought you needed a course. Anyway, I would suggest re-thinking that (sorry if this is presumptious; I don't know your background or anything). Micro is really important for pathology in second year, and it's a hard course with labs that add a lot to it. If I would exempt anything, I think I'd choose something like biochem or genetics. Although I have to say, my uncle told me that his worst mistake in med school was exempting biochem, which he took advanced in undergrad. His advice to me was to never exempt a course. He said if you know a lot of the material it will just be that much easier to do well in the class.

Like I said, I don't mean to sound presumptious or try to lecture you, certainly not! I don't know your reasons for doing it, and maybe you've had an histology course before. I'm actually planning on studying before I start (for personal reasons), but I think it will just be useful so I can do better in the classes when I take them.

Tigress, I agree with you completely about micro and path. The only reason I am actually able to exempt is because I just finished a masters/post-bacc at drexel where I took micro, path (and most of the first year classes) with the medical students via simulcast connection. I'm going for the exemption because I feel pretty solid with the material already as it was one of my favorite classes, and I am really looking to free up some extra time first year for extracurric stuff like student gov or some of the great volunteer programs drexel has. And yes, I'm watching these lectures at 1.4 speed and it makes the review go by so quickly, its Great! :thumbup:

Hyman said:
Tigress, I agree with you completely about micro and path. The only reason I am actually able to exempt is because I just finished a masters/post-bacc at drexel where I took micro, path (and most of the first year classes) with the medical students via simulcast connection. I'm going for the exemption because I feel pretty solid with the material already as it was one of my favorite classes, and I am really looking to free up some extra time first year for extracurric stuff like student gov or some of the great volunteer programs drexel has. And yes, I'm watching these lectures at 1.4 speed and it makes the review go by so quickly, its Great! :thumbup:

Oh!! I get it :) Yeah, that's awesome about the masters program (it's called a "special masters program" or something, right?). It really gives you a great head start on med school. Now we know who to ask if we have any questions :D

I'm amazed that micro was one of your favorites. Most people I know suffer through it! Are you interested in pathology as a field?

amk25a said:
There are some out there. I was on an interview in late January and the financial aid presenter was relating how surprised their office was at the generosity of some of the packages going out to incoming students in the previous couple of weeks. They encouraged us to go ahead and file sooner rather than later, even if put on hold, just so the info is all there ready to go.

Wow, that's unusual. Just to clarify, I certainly think it's important to file the FAFSA as soon as possible. I just hadn't heard of schools sending aid letters until about April, probably because all the ones I am worried about do it then.

(and btw, I really don't spend all day checking to see if this thread gets updated :laugh: Looks like I do though! I've just happened to check at the right times today! lol)

I think I'm way too social for path, I know some surgeons, pathologists, etc. would rather work on people or parts of people that cant talk back, but I think that will be half the fun of medicine. I'm just a very visual learner so I always prefer diagrams and photos over "aspartate transcarbomylase binds gamma-blahblahblahbonate and alpha-2,6-whawhawhatoxide".

hey all - i'll be starting at drexel this fall too, very excited.

does anyone know if we can get access to the online material(lectures, etc.)? not that i'm going to start studying or anything, just thought it might be nice to take a look at everything and get a feel for what's ahead. i'm guessing we need a username of some sort?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
wow - that's really cool, thanks for the help!!!

lyn2006 said:
anyone know if there's a revisit weekend for drexel?

I don't know but I hope so. I really want to go back and check it out. I am feeling good about Drexel, especially from the post by Tigress to the thread I started and looking at the residency lists. I know they change yearly, but 4 Derm Residencies! That's pretty cool. It seems like Drexel will be back on its feet by the time we're through. Anyway, I hope I will see you all there next year. If there is no formal weekend, I will probably just go one weekend...it will be a mini-vacation. :)

Punkinhead said:
I don't know but I hope so. I really want to go back and check it out. I am feeling good about Drexel, especially from the post by Tigress to the thread I started and looking at the residency lists. I know they change yearly, but 4 Derm Residencies! That's pretty cool. It seems like Drexel will be back on its feet by the time we're through. Anyway, I hope I will see you all there next year. If there is no formal weekend, I will probably just go one weekend...it will be a mini-vacation. :)

I agree - Tigress has given so much great info about Drexel I feel like they should be paying her or something!

It definitely seems to me like their image is improving and I was really excited when my acceptance came... plus, my fiance is applying too so I was even more excited when he got in as well! Anyway, if there isn't a revisit weekend we'll probably just go down sometime in April for a few nights to explore the city and school. any escuse for a mini-vacation!

I was happy for my boyfriend's sake too about Drexel, because he has a corporate job waiting in Philly when we go, so it all works out!

Punkinhead said:
I was happy for my boyfriend's sake too about Drexel, because he has a corporate job waiting in Philly when we go, so it all works out!

how exciting for you too! Acceptances are even better when there are reasons like this.

So you're definitely attending Drexel this I suppose? Have you spent much time in Philly? I don't know much about it, but have heard it's a fun city.

Hello to all! :)

lol, I sometimes do feel like I should be the official Drexel cheerleader. Although I am realistic about the school, as you can see in some of my pre-allo threads.

Congrats to all of the acceptances, and fiances and boyfriends and everything!

Punkinhead, I looked again at the match list last night and I was also pretty impressed. I hadn't looked except briefly and mainly at EM. Do you have the copy with both last year's and this year's? Both years they matched 4 in derm, and to some nice programs. Also, it looks like if you're a good student there you can really get into whatever residency you want. That is very reassuring to me. I still haven't decided for sure on Drexel over Jefferson, but I'm leaning towards Drexel, and it's great to see promising things. Especially since I'm potentially interested in derm :)

Looking forward to meeting everybody if there is a second look

Hi, I'm excited but still keeping my options open. I'm from Cincinnati and will probably go there if the alternate list moves. Until then, probably Drexel. I've only been to Philadelphia a few times, but I loved it. A walking city that actually is a real city, awesome.

Just got my acceptance package from Drexel (interviewed on Jan 21), and I wanted to say hi to my potential future classmates!!! :) I am still making decisions on which school to attend, and will be going to second look weekends.

I just got my letter that Drexel received my deposit and it says something about "if you are planning a re-visit to campus, please call this number..." which leads me to believe there is no second look weekend. What do you guys think?

And, congrats DrKitty! I saw in another thread you're deciding between a state school and Drexel - good luck making your choice!

Hey all - just a quick question. I'm filling out the FAFSA right now - for Section 5 - Parent finances, it states that if you "answered yes to any question in section 2, skip this section" - in section 2, one of the questions is "Will you be working on a master's or doctorates...", to which the answer is yes.

But then I read on Drexel's financial aid faq that to be considered for Instutional Loans/Scholarships, you need to fill out the parental section on the fafsa. So I suppose that I should fill out the "parent finances" section even though it says to skip the section? Just wondering if any else came across this yet.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I just got an e-mail about a second look day. I already know I'm going to Drexel next year, but I know some of you were asking about this, heres the info....

"Drexel University College of Medicine
Office of Admissions
2900 Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19129-1096
Phone: 215-991-8202 Fax: 215-843-1766

The SGA, Faculty and Administration invite you to attend Accepted Students Day on Saturday, April 1, 2006. This is an opportunity to take a closer look at Drexel University College of Medicine and all it has to offer.

PLACE: 2900 Queen Lane, Philadelphia, PA 19129
DATE AND TIME: April 1, 2006 9:00am – 5:00pm
RSVP: Via Email to Lisa Cifelli, Director
[email protected]
BY: March 22, 2006 to reserve your seat
Agenda and hotel information to follow"

Thanks Hyman!
I just got that email too and I think I'll go, anyone else going to come too? It would be cool to see potential future classmates.

Hey Tigress,

Did your husband go to the 2nd look weekend? Any info on what goes on? I emailed Lisa Cifelli and she said there will be finaid stuff. I asked about touring clinical facilities and apparently that is not part of the agenda. The main thing that worries me about the school is the way the clinicals are set up. Any info?

Hey there. I recently got accepted to Drexel (my first acceptance, and the last school I heard from out of ten interviews!). Because of the eight waitlists and one hold, I don't know yet where I'll end up, but maybe I'll see some of you there.

Congrats Pseudoknot! That must've felt like a million bucks... :)

My own prospects are solidifying and Drexel is quickly becoming my #1(from the schools I have been accepted at)-which really excites me. I have no doubt I will be happy attending Drexel...but I gotta weight the options! It would be great to hear from all of you who attend the second look day. I was going to attend, but my girlfriend couldn't come so we decided to wait until next month or so to check out the school and city(we live in Colorado).

BTW-did anyone else interview with Dr. Cifelli? She did a great job of selling the school for me and we had a great conversation-very casual.

I e-mailed Lisa Cifelli twice already to RSVP for Accepted Students Day, but recieved no confirmation :( What's the deal? Did all of you who plan on attending second look recieve responses from her? Thanks.

If anyone needs any questions answered im currently a 3rd year soon to be 4th year at Drexel. And ill have some time to reply to questions this upcoming week since im finally finisihed with my surgery rotation. Congratulations to all of you for being accepted to one of the best places to learn about medicine.

Antgod22 :thumbup:

AntGod22 said:
If anyone needs any questions answered im currently a 3rd year soon to be 4th year at Drexel. And ill have some time to reply to questions this upcoming week since im finally finisihed with my surgery rotation. Congratulations to all of you for being accepted to one of the best places to learn about medicine.

Antgod22 :thumbup:
Hey AntGod22,

Thanks for your offer. Two questions for you:

1) Can you comment on your experiences so far in the 3rd year rotations? Specifically: was the teaching good? how was the evaluation system? were the attendings and residents supportive, malignant, or in between? did you have much control over where and when you did each rotation? anything else?

2) Is there a link somewhere to Drexel's 2006 match results? I'm reluctant to put too much stock in those, but I'm sure people are curious.

pseudoknot said:
Hey AntGod22,

Thanks for your offer. Two questions for you:

1) Can you comment on your experiences so far in the 3rd year rotations? Specifically: was the teaching good? how was the evaluation system? were the attendings and residents supportive, malignant, or in between? did you have much control over where and when you did each rotation? anything else?

2) Is there a link somewhere to Drexel's 2006 match results? I'm reluctant to put too much stock in those, but I'm sure people are curious.

I so far have enjoyed my clinical rotations, I am doing my whole year at monmouth medical center in NJ, since it was my choice to be at a site where I recieved free housing and food, and was only living across the street from the hospital which is all to convenient on those 5:00am mornings u have to be at the hospital for surgery. I have to say that each clinical site is very differennt, I did one month of medicine at Hahneman hospital, which is our main site, and the education there was tremendous, and is probably our best site besides st. peters and leheigh valley and graduate hospital. The residents for the most part are good, some are crappy but thats expected in life, the attendings for the most part I would say are very good. I havent been able to see the match list yet, the admissions site under http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/Admissions/matchplacement.asp is where you will find it and I will too.

I think u will definitily find drexel to be a great place to become a doctor.

anyone know what's 2nd look about? I doubt they'll only do fin aid from 9am-5pm..

Punkinhead said:
Thanks Hyman!
I just got that email too and I think I'll go, anyone else going to come too? It would be cool to see potential future classmates.

are you going with drexel over tulane?
-mota

What are we supposed to wear for the second look? Is a suit too much? Or does it qualify as "business casual?" :confused:

I dont think we really need to impress anyone too much at this point :) . I was just going to wear a polo shirt or something. I hope I wont look like a bum if everyone else shows up in suits..

drmota said:
are you going with drexel over tulane?
-mota

I am keeping my options open for now. I was quite impressed with both schools (well I interviewed in Houston for Tulane, but you know what I mean). I think Drexel is winning out right now. The truth is, NO's future is somewhat shaky right now. I have to consider my fiance's chances of getting a job too. I don't know if I could jump into it after Katrina. I guess that's why they give us until May to decide. But for now, Drexel it is! (Excited)

-p

.edu-MD said:
Go to the financial aid website. There's a link there to make yourself a DrexelOne account. Then find the IFM curriculum page. On the sidebar, you'll see links for modules or courses. From within either of these, you can watch the current year's lectures. Works great! It's funny seeing the number of people attending the very first lecture versus now :)

I've created the account, but I dont know how to find the IFM page. I was wondering if you could tell me where it was once you are signed into the drexelone account. thanks

I had the same problem and did some searching...here is the page-->

http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/ifm/modules.asp

Access a module and then click the 'video camera' icon, agree to the terms and it should open. I don't believe you need your drexel one account to even access it. BEWARE-much undue stress can be incurred by watching these! Have fun.

herecomesthesun said:
I had the same problem and did some searching...here is the page-->

http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/ifm/modules.asp

Access a module and then click the 'video camera' icon, agree to the terms and it should open. I don't believe you need your drexel one account to even access it. BEWARE-much undue stress can be incurred by watching these! Have fun.

Thanks, that worked great. I just wanted to check out what the recordings were like

I just created my DrexelOne account and was poking around the site, when I realized that we have access to their online journal proxy server. Now I can read all those medical journals my school doesn't subscribe to! Yay! (Yes, I'm really that much of a nerd. In my defense though, I rarely read papers anymore...I just download the PDFs and pretend that I'll have time to read them in "the future.")

Any advice for buying real estate near the area? Looking into possibly a duplex..

Those modules look cool! I guess I really am nerdy too...Match list looks pretty good too, again. Thanks to everyone for putting up those great links. makes it seem more real for me for next year.

Agenda was sent out yesterday..
What are people wearing to Accepted Students Day?

xSTALLiONx said:
Agenda was sent out yesterday..
What are people wearing to Accepted Students Day?

I think we are safe with a button down shirt and black pants. Not too causal, not too sloppy. At least that's what I plan on wearing. Also, the agenda looks pretty good, but it doesn't include touring the graduate hospital, MCP, or Hannemann Hospitals. I went to Hannemann before, because my interview was there and the shuttle system was pretty good. I still have the map too. I think at some point I want to tour these. even by myself, or with others of course. I will have a car, and the shuttles work too. Whose with me! Just an idea. Also I think the evening out will be great. That's just the kind of thing I was hoping we would do with current students. Spirits usually loosen the tongue haha.

I am wearing my beige suit :D It's not too formal, it's stylish :)