DREXEL Med Class of 2010!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You also might want to take a look at the "Packard" building. It's about a block north of hahnemann hospital on broad street (very close to the shuttle). I think the apartments there are in the same price range as the Met and they have a more modern feel to them with high ceilings. Also, this is really close to where the shuttle picks up. The graduate dorm is also in the building just north of hahnemann but the apartments in it have a very dormy feel. One Franklin Town is also pretty similar to the Met but they have a pool. It's a couple blocks west of hahnemann. One of the coolest things at the Met is the rooftop deck on around the 12th floor that overlooks love park and all that nonsense. Make sure you check it out, great for entertaining.

Here's the drexel list of buildings in CC:

http://www.drexel.edu/cchc/studentlife/dept/ochousing.htm

Most of the others I am unfamiliar with, some are also a hike to the shuttle.

Punkinhead said:
hi all,
I'm glad to see more people jumping on the bandwagon. I'll be revisiting the first week of May (2nd and 3rd) and I hope to look around some more on campus. I don't really need another tour, but just to sort of look on my own. Is anyone else going to be around then? It's kind of a weird time. I'm also looking at some apartment buildings (The Metropolitan and Park Town apartments) in Center City right near Hannemann. Anyone have any advice concerning these complexes or where to re-visit. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do alot of students live in center city? Would you recommend that as first years, we live in east falls near the queen lane campus or in center city?

Hey yall,

What would you guys advise a person from California to do in terms of finding a place? i.e. should I live here or there, rent an apartment or a room in a house...etc. I am not sure where to begin, I've been looking at craigslist and the apartments listed on the Drexel website, but they aren't too helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I think probably in the first two years it would be more convenient to live in East Falls suburban type area near the school, but after that I'm not sure it would matter as much. For me, I want to be in the urban center and my bf will be working in Center City so it's good for us, but more expensive. I think from Cali, if it was in an urban center you might like Center City alot. If you enjoy more space, perhaps the area around the College of Medicine would be better. Also I heard Manayunk is a smaller town near East Falls with a trendy scene going on that might be a nice compromise. In Center City, the shuttle runs from Hannemann to the East falls site every 30 minutes I think. I guess the best thing to do is take a short visit (if financially possible) to see. Anyway, that's my plan. Hope that helps a little.

I definitely agree, third and fourth year it really doesnt matter where you live because you will have rotations all over the place. One of my friends just spent nearly his whole third year up in New Jersey / NYC area. One thing about living right near school is that a car is pretty mandatory for getting groceries, and any errands etc. In Center C anything you need is walking distance.

First year in particular, (with gross and micro) you'll probably find yourself needing to be at queen lane campus at all sorts of random hours so avoiding all the commutes from the city seems like a good way to go to me. :thumbup:

If anyone wants to crash at my place for a visit from cali, we have a couple couches. If you arent going to be able to come early, Alden park is probably the safest bet because it's a huge set of ~4 beautiful old apartments with pool and gym and tennis about a half mile walk from school. I live about 3 miles down henry ave. at Summit Park Apts (slummit park) right now and it's allright, pretty cheap and there's pool gym tennis. Buildings built in the 60s.

Punkinhead said:
Hi all,
I think probably in the first two years it would be more convenient to live in East Falls suburban type area near the school, but after that I'm not sure it would matter as much. For me, I want to be in the urban center and my bf will be working in Center City so it's good for us, but more expensive. I think from Cali, if it was in an urban center you might like Center City alot. If you enjoy more space, perhaps the area around the College of Medicine would be better. Also I heard Manayunk is a smaller town near East Falls with a trendy scene going on that might be a nice compromise. In Center City, the shuttle runs from Hannemann to the East falls site every 30 minutes I think. I guess the best thing to do is take a short visit (if financially possible) to see. Anyway, that's my plan. Hope that helps a little.

Hey guys,
I will most likely be at Drexel this summer and I want to do the PIL. I sent back my essays and I have heard that if you select PIL you are pretty much given it but I have not heard anything about it from the school. Any insight out there from my future classmates.

JKhelix said:
Hey guys,
I will most likely be at Drexel this summer and I want to do the PIL. I sent back my essays and I have heard that if you select PIL you are pretty much given it but I have not heard anything about it from the school. Any insight out there from my future classmates.

That's what i heard, but I was rejected from PIL when I applied. I am not really sure what the reason was

I heart Biology said:
That's what i heard, but I was rejected from PIL when I applied. I am not really sure what the reason was

Sorry to hear that. How did they let you know?

JKhelix said:
Sorry to hear that. How did they let you know?

I received a letter in the mail saying they thought I would be better for the lecture style. I just found out from an undergrad classmate of mine that during his interview they told him I was going to be attending drexel and doing PIL. I just found it odd they would be saying I was going to do this when they rejected me from it two months ago.

Hey guys... I am glad you are thinking or have chosen Drexel... it really is a great school with great teaching and a fantastic curriculum and faculty/students.... i'm almost done with my first year there

I was fortunate enough to get into 7 med schools, including 4 MD/PhD programs and chose Drexel over some really competitive schools (i.e. Boston University Med MD/PhD program)... i totally feel great with my decision of school... if you have any questions about the school/curriculum or living in Philly feel free to email me at [email protected], or personal message me on here

good luck with your decision

Hyman,
Do you have your housing situation figured out for next year and if so, are you looking for roomates? Just trying to figure all of this out.
Let me know. Thanks.
-Josh
[email protected]
Hyman said:
I definitely agree, third and fourth year it really doesnt matter where you live because you will have rotations all over the place. One of my friends just spent nearly his whole third year up in New Jersey / NYC area. One thing about living right near school is that a car is pretty mandatory for getting groceries, and any errands etc. In Center C anything you need is walking distance.

First year in particular, (with gross and micro) you'll probably find yourself needing to be at queen lane campus at all sorts of random hours so avoiding all the commutes from the city seems like a good way to go to me. :thumbup:

If anyone wants to crash at my place for a visit from cali, we have a couple couches. If you arent going to be able to come early, Alden park is probably the safest bet because it's a huge set of ~4 beautiful old apartments with pool and gym and tennis about a half mile walk from school. I live about 3 miles down henry ave. at Summit Park Apts (slummit park) right now and it's allright, pretty cheap and there's pool gym tennis. Buildings built in the 60s.

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea when we need to get serious about finding an apartment. Is figuring all this out in June okay?

Also, any ideas about how to figure out roomates and what not? Do a lot of people live in one bedrooms during first year?

Thanks

Hey all,

Just found this thread today so thought I'd say hi. I'll be going to Drexel in the fall too, doing IFM. Already live in Philly, went to Villanova and did a post-bac year at Drexel...so next year is basically like doing most of IFM again. Also happy to help if anyone has any Philly/Drexel questions. Pretty excited for the year to start and for the debauchery that is sure to be orientation. Sooo...see you all in August....

-John

Members don't see this ad :)
sims4531 said:
Hyman,
Do you have your housing situation figured out for next year and if so, are you looking for roomates? Just trying to figure all of this out.
Let me know. Thanks.
-Josh
[email protected]

I'm still trying to buy a place in manayunk. I found a pretty nice 4 bdrm that I might make an offer on soon. As for getting roomates/apartment, you can probably still get a situation lined up in early July.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ is a good place to search if you dont mind living with people who arent drexel med students.

kkd3 said:
Hey everyone,

I am almost 90% that I'm going to be at Drexel Med this august doing the PIL program. I am a little nervous but excited. I'm still waiting on Downstate and NY Med but I just talked to a friend of mine who is a 4th year at Stonybrook Med and he told me to def go to Drexel over the other schools.

Krishna

Drexel over Downstate? If you're a NY resident, and even if not, you're gonna pay 40k for Drexel over 20k at Downstate? Just wondering what others think about this.

btw, I'm in at Drexel, but will probably be giving it up for a SUNY school.

willow18 said:
Drexel over Downstate? If you're a NY resident, and even if not, you're gonna pay 40k for Drexel over 20k at Downstate? Just wondering what others think about this.

btw, I'm in at Drexel, but will probably be giving it up for a SUNY school.

That's definitely a good decision for anyone who prioritizes loans over quality of education. :) jk. Good luck with SUNY.

Hey all - I'm currently working on getting an apt in the East Falls area(right by the school) - seems like most of the leases run July 1st - June 30th. Is this typical? I was expecting August 1 - July 31st, but I guess it really doesn't matter - school will be done in May/June, so I can either pay for an extra month now or when I'm done.

I am picking SUNY over Drexel as well. Quality of education is great at both schools, but SUNY costs twice less :D Now, back to writing a withdrawal letter....

Does anybody know what IFM students do during the month that PIL students spend with a primary care doc? Is PIL a primary care track?

JKhelix said:
Does anybody know what IFM students do during the month that PIL students spend with a primary care doc? Is PIL a primary care track?

I am not sure what IFM students do during the month PIL students are with primary care docs, but PIL isn't specifically for the primary care track. PIL is just another type of curriculum that Drexel Med offers.
http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/admissions/curriculum.asp

hope that helps

Good news: I got into drexel

Bad News: I had to promise them my firstborn and my thumbs

See all you pimps in august, especially all you ladies

By the way disregard the name Im actually dumber than an idiot

SuferMD said:
I am not sure what IFM students do during the month PIL students are with primary care docs, but PIL isn't specifically for the primary care track. PIL is just another type of curriculum that Drexel Med offers.
http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/admissions/curriculum.asp

hope that helps

I think PIL does that because they dont have the sporatic clinical visits throughout the year like IFM does (IFM spends some time doing rounds and working with drs in offices every week or two) so they mash all the clinical for first year together. We'll be doing gross of the head and neck, and a lot of neuro while they do the practicum (also IFM summer starts a week earlier :D ).

Congrats Idiot Jones! BTW, Did you know :
The terms idiot, imbecile, and ***** can still be found in some older government codes and statutes. They denote mental development of less than 3 yrs, 3-7 yrs, and 7-12 years respectively and correlate to today's terminology of severe, moderate, and mild levels of mental ******ation.

Hyman said:
I think PIL does that because they dont have the sporatic clinical visits throughout the year like IFM does (IFM spends some time doing rounds and working with drs in offices every week or two) so they mash all the clinical for first year together. We'll be doing gross of the head and neck, and a lot of neuro while they do the practicum (also IFM summer starts a week earlier :D ).

Yeah, I think the clinical stuff evens out between the two programs. The IFM'ers have all the Physician and Patient hospital visits in the first year, plus the IAC experience (one afternoon a week in a primary care doc's office for a month). Second year you get another IAC, and then in spring of second year you get to do Physical Diagnosis. That's where you go to the hospital once a week for eight weeks, do a full history and physical on an actual patient, and then present your patient to your group, including an attending and fourth-year. The presentation part includes full-on pimping and grilling by the attending. Scary, but you learn a lot.

Hyman said:

Hey Hyman,
Do you know the exact date IFM and PIL students get off? And what we are supposed to do for the summer?

Thanks

SuferMD said:
Hey Hyman,
Do you know the exact date IFM and PIL students get off? And what we are supposed to do for the summer?

Thanks

ha, Classes end June 5th or June 12th depending on the program. 4-6 weeks prior to this you should book airline tickets home to spend time with your family and friends. I'd reccomend southwest as they usually have the most affordable flights, but priceline might be another place to look if southwest doesnt fly direct to your city of origin. While waiting for your flight, stop at "Maggie's Magnolias" (a floral shop) in concourse C at the philadelphia international airport. Pick up something light and summery for mom/grandma like a daffodil and daylilly arrangement. Dont forget to get to the airport about two hours early and dont hide any blades or pcp in your shoes because you'll probably have to take them off. Once home, you should spend at least the first few hours with your family, then hit your friend/s up and see if they want to do any or all of the following: hang out, go bowling, hit the bars, have dinner, play poker, do some street racing, go to the park, get wasted.

I know im a nerd and I've been writting too much on here, but I'm just so freaking psyched for school to start, I've been looking forward to this for about ten years :)

hey all,
I went back to revisit this Monday-Tuesday and had a great time. I spoke to the class president for 2009 (IFM) and he got me really psyched for August. I went to a lecture afterwards that was quite interesting too, about psychosocial aspects of mental diseases. Then I found my apartment! I'll be living at Park Towne Place near the parkway and art museum. I recommend it becasue there is parking and it is very easy to drive to Drexel from there. Also it is a 10-15 min walk to Hahnemann. Good luck to all in the housing hunt. I saw some cute places by the College of Medicine too and the flowers are all in bloom now. Yaay.

Another area that is real short drive to Drexel (about 5 min) is on city ave. There are several appt. complexes that I believe are much more affordable then ones downtown. I live in Presidential City appartments right off of city ave right near the schukyll expressway. They have free parking and have studio, one, two and three bedroom appts available. The only utility u have to pay is electric (plus cable/internet). There is also a large outdoor pool. I havent noticed any drexel med students living there but there are students from Temple and PCOM there and I have seen several Temple residents living there as well.

Hello, everyone. Congrats on choosing Drexel. I am a current first-year IFM. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Just reply here or send me a PM.

hi everyone. So i was just sitting here and i thought it'd be pretty cool to get to know the other people in the first year class. (that way we'd avoid that awkward out of place situation at orientation) So, I figured we could all write our screennames and something about ourselves and then hopefully people would be brave enough to im and chat.
I'll go first because it was my idea... and hopefully other people will also join in or else I'll feel like I have no friends and I'll panick because I already withdrew from everywhere else.

Darren SN magneto022
I'm graduating from Rutgers in New Brunswick NJ. (yes I'm one of those straight from undergrad overachiever kids) I recently turned 22. I'm Asian. Spiderman is my hero. I am a fanatic of Scrubs because my personality is terrifyingly similar to JD's. Oh. I learned to solve a rubic cube... I think that's rather special. And I have a tattoo over my entire right shoulder. I also have a weird obession with hair; if you've got great hair I'll totally be your friend. If I haven't alienated myself yet, y'all can im me sometime.

magneto10 said:
I also have a weird obession with hair; if you've got great hair I'll totally be your friend. If I haven't alienated myself yet, y'all can im me sometime.

wait... are we talking about YOUR hair or OTHER people's hair? I'm asking for my friend who is wondering if she should be friends with you at drexel.

EDIT: cuz boy, does SHE have a head of hair.

EDIT2: oops, i didn't see the portion after the semi colon.

EDIT3: and do you mean you want to be friends with other guys with great hair? ... cuz that WOULD be weird.

awww heck. i knew posting would come back to haunt me. I totally should think more before i post. umm... I suppose I notice people's hair first.

magneto10 said:
awww heck. i knew posting would come back to haunt me. I totally should think more before i post. umm... I suppose I notice people's hair first.

well, it's not WEIRD weird.... but it's kinda weird to be selective about friends based on their hair... ;)

lol. Great... two months before orientation and I've already been labeled the crazy one. sigh... i'm not making bad semi-serious jokes ever again. someone else write about themselves soon.

Hyman said:
ha, Classes end June 5th or June 12th depending on the program. 4-6 weeks prior to this you should book airline tickets home to spend time with your family and friends. I'd reccomend southwest as they usually have the most affordable flights, but priceline might be another place to look if southwest doesnt fly direct to your city of origin. While waiting for your flight, stop at "Maggie's Magnolias" (a floral shop) in concourse C at the philadelphia international airport. Pick up something light and summery for mom/grandma like a daffodil and daylilly arrangement. Dont forget to get to the airport about two hours early and dont hide any blades or pcp in your shoes because you'll probably have to take them off. Once home, you should spend at least the first few hours with your family, then hit your friend/s up and see if they want to do any or all of the following: hang out, go bowling, hit the bars, have dinner, play poker, do some street racing, go to the park, get wasted.

I know im a nerd and I've been writting too much on here, but I'm just so freaking psyched for school to start, I've been looking forward to this for about ten years :)

Okay, thanks for the descriptive plans for summer. Okay, i should have asked if we had any medical school obligations for the summer, i.e. a summer internship or not.

Thanks

Ed :laugh:

SuferMD said:
Okay, thanks for the descriptive plans for summer. Okay, i should have asked if we had any medical school obligations for the summer, i.e. a summer internship or not.

The summer after first year is pretty much yours. A lot of people do research, others do Bridging the Gaps (a summer-long community service project). There are stipends available for both of these, although for the research I found you have to be proactive in getting everything set up with faculty beforehand. You can do research/projects at other institutions as well. Some people just relax over the summer, go home, hang out with friends, etc. It's a good idea to get at least some relaxation in, because as Dr. Parrish will tell you, "it's the last summer vacation you'll ever have."

magneto10 said:

That's fine, at least you didnt write that you have a weird obsession with hairy backs. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Is your method for solving a rubic cube the one where you peel the stickers off? Thats the only way I ever figured it out.

I have crappy hair, but if you want to IM sometime, heres my info:

Lance SN: Holyspork
Im 26, doing research at children's hospital philadelphia (effects of bladder obstruction on the brain). I like the daily show, colbert, soccer, skiing, tennis, piano, guitar, glass blowing.

magneto10 said:
hi everyone. So i was just sitting here and i thought it'd be pretty cool to get to know the other people in the first year class. (that way we'd avoid that awkward out of place situation at orientation) So, I figured we could all write our screennames and something about ourselves and then hopefully people would be brave enough to im and chat.
I'll go first because it was my idea... and hopefully other people will also join in or else I'll feel like I have no friends and I'll panick because I already withdrew from everywhere else.

Darren SN magneto022
I'm graduating from Rutgers in New Brunswick NJ. (yes I'm one of those straight from undergrad overachiever kids) I recently turned 22. I'm Asian. Spiderman is my hero. I am a fanatic of Scrubs because my personality is terrifyingly similar to JD's. Oh. I learned to solve a rubic cube... I think that's rather special. And I have a tattoo over my entire right shoulder. I also have a weird obession with hair; if you've got great hair I'll totally be your friend. If I haven't alienated myself yet, y'all can im me sometime.

OK, I'll bite...
I'm Chelsea... I gradutated from UCSD last year, and I'll be turning 30 this November. I'm a musician, and am unapologetically addicted to '24' and football. I'm really excited about moving to philly, and look forward to meeting everyone. I've been accepted to PIL but am thinking still about IFM. PAX

Well, all hair fetishes aside, who doesn't want to know a few names at orientation...I'm John, though my friends call me Jae. Im a 23 year old Villanova grad ('05) and did a post-bac at Drexel med this year, and I'll be in IFM. My interests include travel, food, quoting movies like its my job, any bar with a good special, and EMS (been an EMT for 6 years). My sn is JWenz0 so feel free to send IMs...I'm friendly. Meanwhile counting down till orientation!

hoi hoi,
I am Ed, fellow asian guy taking out the hair fetish part. =) I'm in the PIL program, but still considering IFM. Coming from San Francsico California, so very excited to learning about a new part of the country. I am 21, and will be graduating from UC Davis. I enjoy surfing, snowboarding, trying to play guitar, I got addicted to Grey's Anatomy and Scrubs this past year. And I'm a exercise-aholic. SN: Supermanx489x go ahead and send a message.

Yay. Thank you people who were brave enough to introduce yourselves. Everyone sounds pretty darn awesome. And I am incredibly excited to meet y'all. So let's keep the introductions going.... OH and i talked to john online. cool kid. and he didn't block me so i think people should im classmates more. It would be fun to try to match people with their sn's, personality, and such at orientation.

Hello everyone!

Im Grace coming from southern california. I just turned 22 and graduated from UC Irvine last year. I just recently started getting into scrubs. I downloaded the first two episodes and watched the entire first episode on the plane ride to and from my revisit to drexel. :p I like to snowboard, just recently picked up golf, tried to learn the guitar (but realized my pinky was too short, so i gave up), and i love to go to new places and try new things. One of my recent hobby is to find really good hole in the wall restaurants. I like to eat good food. :love:
sn: gracey103

What's Up,

Yet another asian in the mix. I'm prolly the only person from WI

SN: FiftyInches00 (yes ladies, the rumors are true)

I have the uncanny ability to interject an inappropriate joke during a relatively benign conversation. So Ladies before you reach for the mace please bear in mind, Im an idiot

Hi

I'm 23, from Cincinnati, and obsessed with 3 things, "24", "House, MD" "LOST". I love biking and kids. I'm a type A trying to not be. I'm super excited about August!

SN: Juicygirl792, IM me tho I'm not online that much

So I am curious to see what everyone's housing plans are? Are you guys planning on living with others from our class or with random people? Apartment or house?

Oh by the way, I'm Josh coming from Anaheim, California. I'm graduating from the University of Arizona very soon, and I am extremely stoked about meeting you all in August.

My SN is sims4531 so drop me and IM.

Peace.

hehe, I am obsessed with the exact same 3 shows and have never missed any of the episodes!! It's great now the season finales are coming up. Although the one for Lost will probably create more confusion then resolve (which is what I love about that show)!

Anyhow, I'm not really in Drexel yet...or maybe even not at all...still waiting for a post-interview response from them. I guess it never hurts to see who my future classmates MIGHT be. You guys sound pretty cool...great thread!!

Kitt9000

Punkinhead said:
Hi

I'm 23, from Cincinnati, and obsessed with 3 things, "24", "House, MD" "LOST". I love biking and kids. I'm a type A trying to not be. I'm super excited about August!

SN: Juicygirl792, IM me tho I'm not online that much

Hey everyone,

I'm dying trying to figure out if I want to come to Drexel or NYMC next year!

If I go to Drexel I'm going to do PIL. Anyone have any suggestions on how to decide? I have to pick one really soon!

What should I consider when choosing? I love both schools!

Thanks

kkd3 said:
Hey everyone,

If I go to Drexel I'm going to do PIL. Anyone have any suggestions on how to decide? I have to pick one really soon!

Thanks

I interviewed at NYMC and thought the school was really nice and LOVED that they had a great, super rich hospital (westchester med?) basically on the same campus. One thing that may be a little off color to say, but actually did turn me off to NYMC is it's strong religious (jesuit) base. There was a controversy there 2 years ago about the school's ban of a LGBT (homosexual) student group while the school did give funding to many other very similar student run organizations representing other minority / interest groups. You can get more details about the story with a quick google search for nymc jesuit, or nymc lgbt. I know this is a little thing and wouldnt affect the education that you could recieve, but hearing about it left a bad taste in my mouth. I myself am not gay, but I always thought that out of everyone in our society, doctors should be the most accepting and compassionate. I dont question that the faculty and students at NYMC are wonderful people, but I thought that that one decision was sending a bad message. I'm a big fan of religion, but science and religion clash so much that it seems they shouldn't be combined? (does that school support stem cell research? etc) Bear in mind, I have a strong drexel bias. :)

kkd3 said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks
Hey, I'm currently waitlisted for NYMC. So I think it depends on what you want. NYMC is located in White Plains, and from my visit, it felt really isolated. But the campus was really nice, especially the anatomy lab (which I think they try to sell). I wasn't as impressed with Drexel's anatomy lab, especially if I am going to be spending so much time there. Drexel as you know has two different types of curriculum, where as NYMC has one. The people at both school are awesome. For NYMC you dont really have to worry about housing because there are dorms on campus and you would be staying with other classmates. I think I would also consider the amount of financial aid given at each school. So I guess there is a lot of things to consider.

Hey everyone, I was wondering what types of student organizations are there in DrexelMed? (i.e. Clubs, frats, student gov)