Drexel Med Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what hotel is everyone staying at? which have room? im plannin on staying fri and sat nights also

I am staying at the Hilton in Center City. The holiday Inns and Best Westerns were full when I called but I think most of the hotels near the airport were available.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the hotels that I called on their list are already full if you plan on staying Fri and Sat nights. :(

Crap. I didn't call yet, got distracted with some other things. Oh well. I'll find a place somewhere. Maybe the HIlton still has some rooms. :(

Has anyone been to the residential life website: http://www.drexelmed.edu/PostBaccPre...5/Default.aspx
the link there for local appartment complexes doesn't work and the contact person doesn't reply to emails (is drexel even a real med school?) has anyone been able to get this list or contact anyone about housing?
my real question if anyone knows is: does drexel offer any housing or is it all off-campus find-on-your-own housing?
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
i booked Marriott Philadelphia Downtown for 100 per night using priceline name your own price

Has anyone been to the residential life website: http://www.drexelmed.edu/PostBaccPre...5/Default.aspx
the link there for local appartment complexes doesn't work and the contact person doesn't reply to emails (is drexel even a real med school?) has anyone been able to get this list or contact anyone about housing?
my real question if anyone knows is: does drexel offer any housing or is it all off-campus find-on-your-own housing?
thanks

Housing is all up to you. The website that you have is incorrect. This is the website for housing http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/Housing/

thanks

For the most part- you find your own place.
Some of the drexel housing that some med students take is stiles. The good- you can jump on the shuttle that takes you to queen lane for free and it's across the new college building in center city where some of the profs. are in case you ever need to ask them questions. They have very good open door policies :) Downside of stiles- you'll be paying to park your car anywhere in the city (if you bring it) and that can be costly, and it's "dorm room" like.

Other than that, it's mostly what you can find. There are apartments near queen lane- some like alden park are just a few blocks away from queen lane. Downside- just last week there were students that were mugged near queen lane. My friend unfortunately also had a break-in at his apartment on 2nd floor 3 blocks east of queen lane campus. It's an unfortunate reality of being in Philadelphia.

Congrats on the acceptance to everyone thus far. It will be good to see all of you soon.

Hey Guys!! I'll be coming to the Accepted Students thing on March 31st too...I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

For the most part- you find your own place.
Some of the drexel housing that some med students take is stiles. The good- you can jump on the shuttle that takes you to queen lane for free and it's across the new college building in center city where some of the profs. are in case you ever need to ask them questions. They have very good open door policies :) Downside of stiles- you'll be paying to park your car anywhere in the city (if you bring it) and that can be costly, and it's "dorm room" like.

Other than that, it's mostly what you can find. There are apartments near queen lane- some like alden park are just a few blocks away from queen lane. Downside- just last week there were students that were mugged near queen lane. My friend unfortunately also had a break-in at his apartment on 2nd floor 3 blocks east of queen lane campus. It's an unfortunate reality of being in Philadelphia.

Congrats on the acceptance to everyone thus far. It will be good to see all of you soon.

Hey, Thanks for the response it was very helpful...but what does "stiles" mean? Not familiar with that term. And also how did u find out about this, is there any info on the site etc.
thanks a lot

ahh. i just got my acceptance in the mail today...and it says you have to rsvp by March 23....

Oh, I know this is really late, but does anyone know if the dress for the accepted students day is dressy or casual?

Hey everyone. I've been reading everyone's posts, and I'm really excited to start at Drexel in August. I know the demographic of medical school is a lot different than undergrad, so I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing some details about their lives. I'm just interested in how many people are married, have kids, are nontraditional applicants, etc. To start it off, here's a little bit about me: I grew up in Lancaster, PA. Right now I'm a bio major at Villanova, and I'm a junior because I'm the 7-year BS/MD program. I'll be 21 when I start medical school. I have a boyfriend of 5 years who lives in southern Delaware, which is where I went to high school. He's a reporter, and since jobs are really hard to find, we won't be living together my first year at Drexel, but hopefull next year we will. That's about it. I look forward to hearing about you all!

Hey PAgirl. I'll play. I'm 30 year old married non-trad with 3 kids. Yep, i'm gonna be busy, no doubt about it. I am currently working full time and finishing up a MS degree, but the good news is that I gave my notice at my job and only have about 5 weeks left! :) See you this weekend.

Hey can someone post when the accepted student's day thing starts or any info about it. I was told to go, but they have yet to send me detailed invitation info.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you ask the admissions office for apartment info on accepted day they maybe able to give you a list. I did that a few weeks ago, and it was very similiar to http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/Housing/. But maybe they have updated it since. I was hoping to make it to accepted students day but I may have to work. I'm so upset. But I know I'll see you all in August.

To answer PAgirl, I'm 23, single, and finishing a second bachelor's at Lehigh.

Hey guys! I finally receive some closure and now I know Drexel is the place for me! Throughout the process, they were the first to interview and accept me so I like like them. Like women like like babies.

I'll be 23 and single when I start in August. Came to America when I was 4 from India, my parents came to Michigan, hated the snow, moved to California and never looked back. I hate hate the snow, though living in California, I didn't really know what that was. Did you know snow is very cold? And white? Anything else I need to know about this fluffy creation from hell, I'll find out soon I guess. Anyway, for the last four years, I have been at UC Davis (near Sacramento, CA), and majored in biomedical engineering. I will be moving to Philly sometime in July so I do need a roomate.

If you haven't done so already, fill in your information under the "find a roomate" here: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/Housing/Roommate.asp

Interesting fact: Everyone in Daivs either rides their bike or takes the bus. Taking the bus, the stop one after me, which I saw for the last two years, was ....drumroll............ Drexel St.

So, who isn't bringing a car? If I live close by, can I just bike around (see post above)? It kinda sucked not having a car in college though, so I'm leaning to buy a used baby.

So how's the party life for Drexel med students? Fun times all around I bet.

Also, last year's class list has some good stuff.

The following is for LAST YEAR'S Class
Orientation webpage: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/osa/orientation/2010/
Check out the survival guide in the second column. Details general things to do and previews classes and required textbooks. And stuff.

Survival Guide: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/osa/orientation/2010/2006-07DrexelMedSurvivalGuide.pdf

any advice on that decision

Wish I could help. I love Drexel, but never had the opportunity to visit RWJ, so can't offer any comparison. I know two people that graduated from RWJ though, and they seem to have had a good education (did not hear of any complaints).

any advice on that decision

I saw somewhere on one of the message boards that an interviewer at Drexel told one of the applicants that if they got into UMDNJ and Drexel they should choose UMDNJ. I have no idea why they'd say that. I would say look at which cirriculum you like better, where you'd be happier, and if it is worth spending $60K more if you're leaning toward Drexel. It may be worth it for you...but maybe not. Only you can say.

I was hoping to have a similar decision to make between NJMS and Drexel, as I really like the PBL program at Drexel, but today I just got my skinny envelope informing me that my talents won't be needed at Drexel this year. Bummer. So...I'm off to NJMS in Newark. Have fun at Drexel everyone! Philly's great! Maybe I'll see some of you in the non-trad boards...:)

Hey everyone!! I can't wait for school to start in August. I'm trying to figure out the whole living arrangement in Philly and I'm wondering how everyone else is going about this. I need to find a roommate or two and a safe apt close to campus. Any suggestions? Also, just curious to see who else is from Cali.

I made a Facebook group for Drexel class of 2011 so we can network more. Just search "Drexel University School of Medicine Class of 2011"

Oh, I know this is really late, but does anyone know if the dress for the accepted students day is dressy or casual?

Hey PAgirl, this post is really late as a response (I don't know why I didn't notice your question earlier). I also do not know this dress standard for the weekend, but I am going business casual (polo-type shirt and slacks). I brought some more casual clothes with me on the trip (just rolled into town 15 minutes ago), but did not bring my suit (I really don't think a day of talks and Q&A is really going to be that formal. But who knows?). I gota get my 5 -6 hours of sleep now. See you all there in the morning. :sleep:

Hey y'all- just wanted to say hi and i'm looking forward to meeting all of my future classmates this august! I presently live in Center City and I'm familiar with the Drexel Med area as well, so if you have any general questions about apartment locations, cost of living, etc., fire away :)

It is rediculous how excited I am to post on this thread :laugh: I am getting very very excited to start school in August.

One question - for those who applied to the PIL program, did you just write in pen on the form they sent? Or type it out seperately? I'm typing it up (I have terrible handwriting) but want a sense of how much people write in responce to each question. Obviously I really want to get in to PIL bad enough that I am asking stupid questions :oops:

Hey all- I'll be at Drexel next year, unless for some reason I take an MD/PhD slot for which I just interviewed. I actually liked Drexel much more than this more competitive school.

More to the point, I loved PIL and will type my response. On interview day, the director of PIL spoke about the program. One of us asked about "getting accepted" to PIL. He said that as long as your reasons for PIL weere genuine, you would be accepted. E.g., as long as you don't say "PIL because there are fewer lectures", you can do PIL.

Look forward to seeing everyone in August!

It was great to see everyone at Drexel this past weekend. The current students there were awesome, I picked up a lot of good info/suggestions. Did any of you here go to Burboun Blue (I think that was the name of it)?

It was great to see everyone at Drexel this past weekend. The current students there were awesome, I picked up a lot of good info/suggestions. Did any of you here go to Burboun Blue (I think that was the name of it)?

This post is for Haemulon or anyone who attended the second look. I wanted to attend the event, but I couldn't make it to Philadelphia this past saturday. I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind posting some of the helpful advice that you were given. Thank you!

This post is for Haemulon or anyone who attended the second look. I wanted to attend the event, but I couldn't make it to Philadelphia this past saturday. I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind posting some of the helpful advice that you were given. Thank you!

You kow, it is interesting. I did not so much come away with a list of things to do, as with a better understanding of what life at Drexel will be like. We were able to talk with current students about their experiences, get information about how different people go about studying, how the testing cycles can be brutal at times, where people live and so forth. Also got more info about financial aid, student community service activities (I am still trying to figure out the Horse-camp one), and clinical rotations. Oh yeh, a chunk of the day was devoted to comparing IVF and PIL curricula. If you have any specific questions about the day (or about Drexel in general), i'd be happy to share anything that I know. But for the most part, I just took the day as one to meet and find out what my future classmates would be like, to share stories, and to find out what life would be like in general at Drexel. It definitely helped me to relax some. And I did get some specific questions answered too, which was great (particularly about financial aid).

Some other things that you may already know:
1. Don't buy books in advance, wait until you start and talk to others about what you really need
2. If you havn't already submitted your FAFSA, do it asap. And definitely include parental info if you want to be considered for scholarships.
3. Live like a student now, live like a doctor later (in other words, minimize how much you borrow. Be frugal. After all, the tuition+student budget is freakishly expensive ... around 70k/year if you get maximum amount).
4. Enjoy your summer, it's not really worth attempting to study to get ahead
5. Most med students at Drexel apparently use Dell computers
6. There is good housing around the campus, but get info from locals/current students first because there are a lot of shady areas near campus as well. Many people commute in from farther away, but be mindfull of traffic patterns.
7. There is a strong emphasis on community service, and many programs/opportunities for this
8. Part of your M1, M2 training includes H&P and physical exams on REAL patients at the hospital in addition to the SP's. Which is very cool.
9. There are a lot of social functions / fund raisers that the student can participate in.
10. There are boards/blogs where M3's/M4's can post their clerkship experiences and recommendations ... which help when submitting your preferences for your rotation schedule and sites.

Much more stuff .... but you get the idea

Hey folks... Just wanted to toss my hat in the ring. Right now Drexel is my only acceptance (which I just recieved), so it's looking like there's a good chance I'll be there in the fall. It seems I've missed the 2nd look day (thanks Haemulon for all that good info from it). I was just wondering if any of y'all knew about additional days to go visit. There wasn't anything in my acceptance packet so I'm going to assume there isn't but if anyone knows anything different that would be great. Thanks!

(is drexel even a real med school?) has anyone been able to get this list or contact anyone about housing?
thanks

You know for someone who hasn't taken the first class at DUCOM, you make a lot of bad assumptions. DUCOM is a real medical school despite not having on-campus housing. I'm not sure how many schools you've looked at, but we're not the only one without this option. In fact, a lot of people in my class make it a point to live in Center City just so that they're not completely around the school 24/7. Maybe you should take a cue from them and look outside the immediate campus area instead of jumping to conclusions.

Some other things that you may already know:
1. Don't buy books in advance, wait until you start and talk to others about what you really need
2. If you havn't already submitted your FAFSA, do it asap. And definitely include parental info if you want to be considered for scholarships.
3. Live like a student now, live like a doctor later (in other words, minimize how much you borrow. Be frugal. After all, the tuition+student budget is freakishly expensive ... around 70k/year if you get maximum amount).
4. Enjoy your summer, it's not really worth attempting to study to get ahead
5. Most med students at Drexel apparently use Dell computers
6. There is good housing around the campus, but get info from locals/current students first because there are a lot of shady areas near campus as well. Many people commute in from farther away, but be mindfull of traffic patterns.
7. There is a strong emphasis on community service, and many programs/opportunities for this
8. Part of your M1, M2 training includes H&P and physical exams on REAL patients at the hospital in addition to the SP's. Which is very cool.
9. There are a lot of social functions / fund raisers that the student can participate in.
10. There are boards/blogs where M3's/M4's can post their clerkship experiences and recommendations ... which help when submitting your preferences for your rotation schedule and sites.

Much more stuff .... but you get the idea

I just wanted to append some comments onto your tips since some things you said in this list might be a bit inaccurate or misleading. Don't buy books in advance because professors will tell you you need every book under the sun and you can easily blow $2k on stuff you'll never have the time or will to read. Also, your Big Bro/Sis (if you choose to have one) might hook you up with some good deals (mine did, and I'm looking to pass along the favor to my little). Dr. Smith suggested some reading for Mirco during the summer. It's not required, but if you're itchy to read something, grab one of the textbooks that you know you will need (like Ross in this case) and use the free time to get ahead because adjusting to the med school schedule takes a while and you might fall behind. I didn't read ahead, and I just finished Micro just fine, but it could only help to stay a little bit ahead for some buffer room. I have not noticed any tendency for DUCOM students to use Dell or any other brand in particular. I have an HP and it works just fine. Also, the whole laptop thing is nice, but it's not as required as you might think. It's helpful to have it with you at all times, but there's no real requirement as of year one that mandates you bring a laptop. If you have a desktop or an old laptop and are looking to save money right away, skip the "mandatory" laptop purchase on hold. #6 is a good point. I live in Alden Park, which is an overpriced hell hole. Also, queen lane apartments may not be the most safe (i.e. a coupl break ins have occured). Community service is mandatory in MS-I as part of a class called CEE. If you're already in DUCOM, don't worry about it until then. Everything else seems to be pretty much accurate.

I just wanted to append some comments onto your tips since some things you said in this list might be a bit inaccurate or misleading. Don't buy books in advance because professors will tell you you need every book under the sun and you can easily blow $2k on stuff you'll never have the time or will to read. Also, your Big Bro/Sis (if you choose to have one) might hook you up with some good deals (mine did, and I'm looking to pass along the favor to my little). Dr. Smith suggested some reading for Mirco during the summer. It's not required, but if you're itchy to read something, grab one of the textbooks that you know you will need (like Ross in this case) and use the free time to get ahead because adjusting to the med school schedule takes a while and you might fall behind. I didn't read ahead, and I just finished Micro just fine, but it could only help to stay a little bit ahead for some buffer room. I have not noticed any tendency for DUCOM students to use Dell or any other brand in particular. I have an HP and it works just fine. Also, the whole laptop thing is nice, but it's not as required as you might think. It's helpful to have it with you at all times, but there's no real requirement as of year one that mandates you bring a laptop. If you have a desktop or an old laptop and are looking to save money right away, skip the "mandatory" laptop purchase on hold. #6 is a good point. I live in Alden Park, which is an overpriced hell hole. Also, queen lane apartments may not be the most safe (i.e. a coupl break ins have occured). Community service is mandatory in MS-I as part of a class called CEE. If you're already in DUCOM, don't worry about it until then. Everything else seems to be pretty much accurate.

I appreciate your comments. I certainly was not trying to be misleading. I was only passing along what some of the MS1's and MS'2s that I talked with there last weekend told me. I guess everyone has different impressions. The computer thing in particular was told to me by two people, but perhaps that is just what they and their friends used. Thanks for the clarifications :)

You know for someone who hasn't taken the first class at DUCOM, you make a lot of bad assumptions. DUCOM is a real medical school despite not having on-campus housing. I'm not sure how many schools you've looked at, but we're not the only one without this option. In fact, a lot of people in my class make it a point to live in Center City just so that they're not completely around the school 24/7. Maybe you should take a cue from them and look outside the immediate campus area instead of jumping to conclusions.
Hahaha...ur hilarious, first you deliberately quote me out of context saying that I was questioning the validity of DUCOM as a med school because it doesnt have on campus housing (a truly irrational claim, if in fact I had made it which I havent), when in fact if you check my post I say this because no one has replied to any of my emails to the reslife department (which they still havent by the way and its been about a month...very professional for a med school I think) Interestingly u cut out this sentance when u quoted my post...lol

Second, seeing that you were not able to take my comment "is drexel even a real med school" in good humor, and seeing that you misinterpreted my comment and arrived at the wrong conclusion and then misquoted me, I truly am beginning to wonder if Drexel is a real med school, I mean when I begin to consider the current student body... lol

Hahaha...ur hilarious, first you deliberately quote me out of context saying that I was questioning the validity of DUCOM as a med school because it doesnt have on campus housing (a truly irrational claim, if in fact I had made it which I havent), when in fact if you check my post I say this because no one has replied to any of my emails to the reslife department (which they still havent by the way and its been about a month...very professional for a med school I think) Interestingly u cut out this sentance when u quoted my post...lol

Second, seeing that you were not able to take my comment "is drexel even a real med school" in good humor, and seeing that you misinterpreted my comment and arrived at the wrong conclusion and then misquoted me, I truly am beginning to wonder if Drexel is a real med school, I mean when I begin to consider the current student body... lol

Funny... I guess seeing someone question the legitimacy (not validity) of my school after how much I've put into it this year, not to mention having chose it over other med schools was enough to prompt a response (and yes, the way you said it did imply just that). The housing comments were isolated, although I probably wouldn't have responded if you hadn't said that. Your little dig at me at the end there was nice too (I'm sure you worked that same charm on your interview to help you get in). Since we're not a couple of 13-year-old girls (although you certainly type like one; "hahahaha ur hilarious...lol") I'm going to end this here. Suffice to say, when you're looking for advice or help from the second years (and you will be) make sure I'm among the last people you look toward. By the way, professionalism is evaluated regularly at DUCOM, so I'd grow up pretty quickly in the next few months unless you want lousy recomendations because your fellow classmates won't put up with your attitude past the first couple weeks.

I appreciate your comments. I certainly was not trying to be misleading. I was only passing along what some of the MS1's and MS'2s that I talked with there last weekend told me. I guess everyone has different impressions. The computer thing in particular was told to me by two people, but perhaps that is just what they and their friends used. Thanks for the clarifications :)

No problem. On the whole you have the right idea, but I just thought that might clarify.

Funny... I guess seeing someone question the legitimacy (not validity) of my school after how much I've put into it this year, not to mention having chose it over other med schools was enough to prompt a response (and yes, the way you said it did imply just that). The housing comments were isolated, although I probably wouldn't have responded if you hadn't said that. Your little dig at me at the end there was nice too (I'm sure you worked that same charm on your interview to help you get in). Since we're not a couple of 13-year-old girls (although you certainly type like one; "hahahaha ur hilarious...lol") I'm going to end this here. Suffice to say, when you're looking for advice or help from the second years (and you will be) make sure I'm among the last people you look toward. By the way, professionalism is evaluated regularly at DUCOM, so I'd grow up pretty quickly in the next few months unless you want lousy recomendations because your fellow classmates won't put up with your attitude past the first couple weeks.

Congratulations, u have completely avoided the issue by not responding to any of my claims, here they are again:
1. that links dont work on the site and no one responded to my emails, the countdown continues by the way still heard nothing (i guess the professionalism evaluations missed this one)
2. that you made a comprehension error and concluded that I questioned Drexel's validity b/c it doesnt have on campus housing
3. that you quoted me out of context

instead u offered threats about the help I won't be recieving next year...very professional lol

What is incomprihensible to me is how you couldn't take this as a joke, but instead feel that it was a dig at all the hard work that you have put in, why would I, someone that is thinking of attending next year and forseeing that I will have to endure the same thing truly mean such a statement

Jamen and FiOri: could you just PM each other?

thanks,
asd

Agreed! This thread has wandered off the path of useful or enjoyable for a bit too long now ;)

I was wondering - how quickly have people been hearing back about PIL? I applied over a month again and haven't heard anything. I know that if you express genuine interest you're supposed to be "a shoe in", but I've started to get nervous.

Agreed! This thread has wandered off the path of useful or enjoyable for a bit too long now ;)

I was wondering - how quickly have people been hearing back about PIL? I applied over a month again and haven't heard anything. I know that if you express genuine interest you're supposed to be "a shoe in", but I've started to get nervous.

I commented on this issue earlier (I think in this thread). Anyhow, if you want PIL, I don't think there is anything to worry about. The "application" is less an application and more of an assesment to make sure you have thought through the decision. The questions are also used for research as far as studying the program and who thrives in it, who ends up dropping out after first year, ect. This info came from the director of PIL when I interviewed.

I suppose I should send in my PIL application soon, however.

Hi! Does anyone know when the orientation is going to start? I can't wait and I searched online but I could only find the info. from last year. I wonder if it's going to be very similar to it... I can't wait!! :D

Hi. I just got accepted to Drexel Med. Starting to think about housing. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Katie323

Hey does anyone have any opinions on Hathaway House vs. Park Heights apts. as housing options?
Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Hey guys - How do we go about finding apartments?

Hey guys - How do we go about finding an apartment? Does Drexel have listings?

Hey guys - How do we go about finding apartments?

Supposedly, the staff in NCB (new college building) are supposed to have recommendations if you contact them :http://www.drexel.edu/src/

But, we found that they weren't as informed as we wanted them to be when we asked, so a few of us used http://www.apartmentratings.com/ or something locally like http://www.4wallsinphilly.com/

Check out the East Falls, Mt. Airy places, but be careful still because crime is still around everywhere in Philly- even the "good" areas.

I have heard several people recommend craigslist. But other than that I am not sure. I am actually trying to find a house in a good neighborhood somewhere (4 bedrooms hopefully). I am thinking of going a little further north of the campus. Maybe up to 30 minutes or so. I know, commuting sucks, but I already drive between 20-45min to work anyway (depending on which hospital i'm going to), so its all good. The other place i am looking at is on the other side of the river in NJ, past Camden. Somewhere like Cherry Hill maybe, but it is more expensive out there from what I understand and the traffic across the Ben Franklin may be a bit much for me (plus tolls of course). We'll see how it plays out.

Hi. I just got accepted to Drexel Med. Starting to think about housing. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Katie323

Congrats Katie! Check out some of my suggestions for the area around queen lane.

So I got my PIL acceptance letter last week, a little under a month after I applied. Still not sure if I am going to do it or not, but def excited to have the opportunity.

In terms of housing: I need a roommate and somewhere to live!!!! I am looking for a female roommate, and I really want to live somewhere with a lot of other med students. Anyone know if there are any popular buildings with a lot of Drexel meds? I actually heard good things about Hathaway house from a 4th year, but they have a waiting list, so put yourself on it. And I would be interested in renting a room in a house w/other people...I'm from Cali, and I don't know the area at all, so any suggestions would be very welcome.

So I got my PIL acceptance letter last week, a little under a month after I applied. Still not sure if I am going to do it or not, but def excited to have the opportunity.

In terms of housing: I need a roommate and somewhere to live!!!! I am looking for a female roommate, and I really want to live somewhere with a lot of other med students. Anyone know if there are any popular buildings with a lot of Drexel meds? I actually heard good things about Hathaway house from a 4th year, but they have a waiting list, so put yourself on it. And I would be interested in renting a room in a house w/other people...I'm from Cali, and I don't know the area at all, so any suggestions would be very welcome.

I currently live around the block/5 minute walk from the med school. I found this place on Craigs List. Some people live further, some live closer. The area surrounding Queen Lane is a bit sketchy, but I have not had any problems so far. I park my car at the med school to avoid problems with car theft/breaking in to steal my stereo ($400 for the year, amazing rate to park a car in a secure area for the Philly area).

It looks like I'm going to need at least one roomie for next year (male). If anyone is interested, let me know. I live in a row house apartment with a lot of space and am surrounded by other med students of all years. I have a small dog (mini dachshund) who doesn't bark and stays in my room for the most part and she's awesome. Overall the place is 1350/month plus utilities but with 2 other roomies right now, I'm paying $475. There is room for a 4th roomie that would make it even cheaper.

First, congrats on the PIL acceptance. If you get enough people, maybe other PIL people or IFMers- you might consider renting a house in the better part of east falls, mount airy, or roxborough. It may just come out cheaper. Just a thought.
Here are some links I found from drexel's student services that might give you an idea of where to look too. Not sure how up to date they are.
http://www.drexel.edu/oca/och/find_housing.asp
http://www.drexel.edu/oca/och/area_landlords.asp

I have heard several people recommend craigslist. But other than that I am not sure. I am actually trying to find a house in a good neighborhood somewhere (4 bedrooms hopefully). I am thinking of going a little further north of the campus. Maybe up to 30 minutes or so. I know, commuting sucks, but I already drive between 20-45min to work anyway (depending on which hospital i'm going to), so its all good. The other place i am looking at is on the other side of the river in NJ, past Camden. Somewhere like Cherry Hill maybe, but it is more expensive out there from what I understand and the traffic across the Ben Franklin may be a bit much for me (plus tolls of course). We'll see how it plays out.

haemulon, when i interviewed there last month i stayed with a friend who lives in mount royal (sw of camden) and the traffic wasn't too bad.. but the traffic would move then stop to a crawl inexplicably. that was annoying. but don't know if you would take my word for it based on a single experience.. i'm sure others would have a better idea of what its like day in and day out

anyway just wondering if you guys have started the fun task of scrounging for funding, besides what the school offers in loans of course.. and trying to solicit suggestions for doing so.