Drexel MSP/IMS an option for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayashae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.0 cGPA upon graduation (Final 2 semesters 3.75. 3.95) Biology major chem minor
will be working for 2 years in a lab as a tech
MCAT not taken, but with my renewed study habits I dont think I'll do worse than at least a 25... which is good enough to get into at least MSP considerations. If over 30, IMS.
plenty of volunteer hours in hospital
almost NO shadowing experience (but I plan on doing this when I start my lab tech job after workdays)

I really want to be a doctor. I've considered other paths, but at the end of the day this is really what I want to pursue, and I'm willing to do however much work it takes to get there. I live in the Philadelphia region, which is why I'm bringing up the Drexel programs. Would this be a feasible option for me? Can anyone propose alternate ways to make it to allopathic schools?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

3.0 cGPA upon graduation (Final 2 semesters 3.75. 3.95) Biology major chem minor
MCAT not taken, but with my renewed study habits I dont think I'll do worse than at least a 25... which is good enough to get into at least MSP considerations. If over 30, IMS.
almost NO shadowing experience (but I plan on doing this when I start my lab tech job after workdays)

I really want to be a doctor. I've considered other paths, but at the end of the day this is really what I want to pursue, and I'm willing to do however much work it takes to get there. I live in the Philadelphia region, which is why I'm bringing up the Drexel programs. Would this be a feasible option for me? Can anyone propose alternate ways to make it to allopathic schools?

thanks in advance

To give you a totally frank response here -- your numbers don't put you in the MD material category as of now. Honestly, you should really consider doing DO after getting some ECs and taking the MCAT. With a 3.0, even a 35 MCAT is going to make it tough to get into an MD program (~1/3 chance). The fact that you "don't think you'll do worse than a 25" doesn't give me much confidence you're going to break 30, much less end up in the top 5% of test takers (35+). You should look into DO programs if you can break into the upper 20s on the MCAT AFTER having your ECs in place. If you're breaking 20 but not 25, you may even need to start looking at Podriatic Medicine and such.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can do it. But you need a 30+, solid performance (meaning 3.7 or above) in a post-bac or SMP, and a hell of a good reason for that undergrad GPA. Has your research so far resulted in any pubs?

thanks in advance

Like you said, if you get a 30+ MCAT then IMS would be good for you. Less than that and MSP would be good, but MSP is not going to help that 3.0 so you would probably need to do MSP and then IMS. I did MSP last year and am currently in IMS, so PM me if you have any other questions you would like me to answer about my experience.

Thanks for the reply everyone. I know that my chances are near 0 in terms of MD schools right now, and this is why I proposed the question for MSP/IMS. Of course my intentions are scoring highly on the MCATs, but the question was intended to score decently enough for the SMP program. I realize that even with a high score (even ~35) I will not be competitive for MD schools, which is why I'm setting my goals on getting into an SMP program (I know theyre all pretty competitive, but Drexel is 20 minutes from where I live).

Do you guys know if I can apply to both MSP and IMS on the same application? Thanks

Thanks for the reply everyone. I know that my chances are near 0 in terms of MD schools right now, and this is why I proposed the question for MSP/IMS. Of course my intentions are scoring highly on the MCATs, but the question was intended to score decently enough for the SMP program. I realize that even with a high score (even ~35) I will not be competitive for MD schools, which is why I'm setting my goals on getting into an SMP program (I know theyre all pretty competitive, but Drexel is 20 minutes from where I live).

Do you guys know if I can apply to both MSP and IMS on the same application? Thanks

I think you can, and they downgrade you to MSP if you don't make the cut for IMS. And be very wary if they bump you all the way down to IHS...

I think you can, and they downgrade you to MSP if you don't make the cut for IMS. And be very wary if they bump you all the way down to IHS...
It's basically one application for IMS/MSP/IHS I believe. Once your complete app hits the directors desk, it is determined which program fits you best.

Think of it this way: IMS is for students who are almost ideal applicants for med school, less their sGPA/GPA. Thus they need to already have strong EC's, MCAT, shadowing, etc. As a result, many IMS students do get accepted to med school while in the IMS program (assuming they applied the same year). The MSP program is for students who need more overall work. They need MCAT, GPA, and EC imporovement, not just GPA. To be honest, the average MSP student would fail miserably in the IMS program because they haven't figured out how to learn. Doing bad in the IMS program would ruin your chances of EVER going to med school. So, MSP students rarely ever get into med school while they are in the MSP program (assuming they applied the same year) because they are just not competitive yet.

Going to an Allo school is completely possible, but you have to be nearly perfect from here on out. You will need the full force of the IMS (or any SMP) to get you there. My advice:

• Do NOT take your MCAT. Take your GRE and apply to the MSP program
  • Do near perfect in classes, build EC's, shadowing, etc, study for MCAT
  • Take MCAT at end of MSP, Go to IMS (its virtually guaranteed)
  • Kill the IMS program
  • Go to Medical School

You are pretty much the ideal applicant for the MSP program IMO.