Drexel or Rosalind Franklin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gracey103

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Drexel or RFU?

I have no clue..

I know everyone will tell me its all up to me to decide what is important for me, but I don't know what I should be basing my decisions on. I could either go to Suburbia, or the city, which really doesn't matter to me because Im from Cali and I'll be moving away no matter what, financially it would be similar, weather is similar (both cold), rankings similar, curriculum similar. AAHHh!! I Dont know...help me please..

Members don't see this ad.

Gracey103 said:
Drexel or RFU?

I have no clue..

I know everyone will tell me its all up to me to decide what is important for me, but I don't know what I should be basing my decisions on. I could either go to Suburbia, or the city, which really doesn't matter to me because Im from Cali and I'll be moving away no matter what, financially it would be similar, weather is similar (both cold), rankings similar, curriculum similar. AAHHh!! I Dont know...help me please..

I think RFU has a hotter match list than Drexel. Compare both.

i would go to Drexel. i can't really explain why
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
Gracey103 said:
Drexel or RFU?

I have no clue..

Go to Drexel

DrKitty said:
I think RFU has a hotter match list than Drexel. Compare both.
drexel matched more people into orthosurgery than rfu.

I interviewed at both and would chose Drexel. Good luck! :luck:

It seems like the majority is saying Drexel. Can you tell me why you would choose drexel over RFU? RFU has a pretty impressive match list especially to Cali residencies. Thoughts?

Gracey103 said:
It seems like the majority is saying Drexel. Can you tell me why you would choose drexel over RFU? RFU has a pretty impressive match list especially to Cali residencies. Thoughts?

i think its because RFU's reputation is tainted...it was put on probation a few years ago and alot of its students are from their linkage masters program (though they killed the linkage this year)

i also interviewed at both schools, and i'd actually choose rosalind franklin. chicago vs. philly has a lot to do with it. but, i dunno, i just got a better vibe at rfu.

i got a much better vibe at rfu and if i didn't know anything about their reputation, i would definitley say pick rfu. chicago is SO much better than philly. drexel - class was too big, not a great area, didn't really seem to be as much connection between students and faculty/administration. i would look at curriculum, match lists, community service opportunities, clinical exposure, etc. and compare.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to both...and I choose Drexel.

Not to sound hippie-dippie, but I got a better feeling at Drexel. The building is brand new, the technology is great, and the hospital is closer. This last point can be debated, considering how far reaching many on the clerkships are. But what put me off about RSU was that it is so far away from Chicago, and that most people find it easier to move to the city after two years. I am hoping to buy a condo/house/shed to live in, and it is not practical if I go to RFU. I liked both cities equally I think-except Philly is so close to New York/Boston(my sister lives there), etc. I am not so concerned about reputation, especially when Drexel is not 'ranked.'

Good luck.

Drexel - if only because RFU is, according to you know where, the most expensive school in the nation.

Rafa said:
Drexel - if only because RFU is, according to you know where, the most expensive school in the nation.

actually, drexel's tuition is $38,790 and rfu's is $36,740.

medstylee said:
actually, drexel's tuition is $38,790 and rfu's is $36,740.

I'm talking about debt. For that, no school tops RFU.

I thought Tufts medical school graduates accumulated the most debt (tuition and living expenses included).

DrKitty said:
I thought Tufts medical school graduates accumulated the most debt (tuition and living expenses included).
year 1: $62k.... year 4: $69k..

Rafa said:
I'm talking about debt. For that, no school tops RFU.

Maybe its because RFU students borrow more. But at the end its a personal situation. The tuition and fees for RFU is pretty much same as Drexel and several other private schools. The school with a really outrageous tuition is Univ. of Colorado.

Thanks for all of your inputs! I think I will go to second look weekend for both schools. I've been searching for information, and it seems like Drexel is not in such a nice area. Should I be concerned about my safety?

time to put out some fires. RFU student checking in:

--We were the most expensive school in the nation. now we are the 19th! haha! The debt statistic is a relic of times when we were the most expensive. I would expect that ranking to drop staggered 4 years from the tuition one. And besides, tuition/expenses will determine your debt. Which ever one is cheaper. ALSO we are on a 4 year tuition freeze so you can expect that the ranking will continue to drop

-- Tainted reputaion? I disagree. The probation was due to financial issues with the school (not getting enough research grant money and too much from tuition) and had nothing to do with academics. If you think that arguement holds water, compare the match lists and consider the field you might want to enter. I don't know drexels but ours came out today:

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/students/class/2006/match.xls

-- Yes, the AP program is dead. I don't see how this would have any bearing on a decision though.

--RFU average board scores ranked 60/125 med schools and our match list is impressive.

-- You are in the middle of nowhere for 2 years, but then again, I heard drexels area isnt to friendly.

--Decide on your overall feelings from visitng both schools if it is a toss up. But by all means, if you don't want to go here, tell them soon. I have some friends on the waitlist! ;)

Grace, I would probably go with Drexel over RFU! Let me know what you decide.

drexel so another spot opens up at rfu..haha jk.

Mperor said:
time to put out some fires. RFU student checking in:

--We were the most expensive school in the nation. now we are the 19th! haha! The debt statistic is a relic of times when we were the most expensive. I would expect that ranking to drop staggered 4 years from the tuition one. And besides, tuition/expenses will determine your debt. Which ever one is cheaper. ALSO we are on a 4 year tuition freeze so you can expect that the ranking will continue to drop

-- Tainted reputaion? I disagree. The probation was due to financial issues with the school (not getting enough research grant money and too much from tuition) and had nothing to do with academics. If you think that arguement holds water, compare the match lists and consider the field you might want to enter. I don't know drexels but ours came out today:

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/students/class/2006/match.xls

-- Yes, the AP program is dead. I don't see how this would have any bearing on a decision though.

--RFU average board scores ranked 60/125 med schools and our match list is impressive.

-- You are in the middle of nowhere for 2 years, but then again, I heard drexels area isnt to friendly.

--Decide on your overall feelings from visitng both schools if it is a toss up. But by all means, if you don't want to go here, tell them soon. I have some friends on the waitlist! ;)

As a recently matched student I will say that our list this yr was simply insane. Yes there were some disappointments overall this might have been the best yr yet. 4 into Derm, 3 to Rad Onc and 2 into plastics.. these are easily the 3 most competetive fields.

I dont know Drexels match list but I would be surprised if it was on par with ours... choose where it feels right for you though.....thats the best advice ANYONE could give you!

DrHuang said:
i think its because RFU's reputation is tainted...it was put on probation a few years ago and alot of its students are from their linkage masters program (though they killed the linkage this year)

I dont want to single people out but that "linkage" is where a lot of the competive matches came from. We had at least one "linkage" in Derm, Rad Onc, Rads, Ortho, Ophtho, and Plastics. None in ENT thought 0/2 but no one was going for it.

This is a little FYI to you premeds..

Mperor said:
Tainted reputaion? I disagree. The probation was due to financial issues with the school (not getting enough research grant money and too much from tuition) and had nothing to do with academics. If you think that arguement holds water, compare the match lists and consider the field you might want to enter. I don't know drexels but ours came out today:

-i know you love your school and all that but alot of the people I know weren't fans of RFU because of the probation...maybe due to lack of knowledge on it but nonetheless, the probation hurt RFU's rep. I never said that RFU didnt have a great matchlist. In fact, I dont know squat about RFU but I do know of what other people say of it.

Mperor said:
-Yes, the AP program is dead. I don't see how this would have any bearing on a decision though.

-Because people felt that letting anyone in who can get a 3.0 or higher in the program despite their previous records was thought of a cheesy way getting into medical school.

Just giving the viewpoints that other people gave me about RFU

DrHuang said:
-
Because people felt that letting anyone in who can get a 3.0 or higher in the program despite their previous records was thought of a cheesy way getting into medical school.

Perhaps what should be cheesy is if these people who get in with a 3.0 or higher despite their previous records, drop out of med school or fail the boards. But it seems the AP program produce some very good doctors despite their 3.0. Recall that on a 4.0 scale, 3.0 is a B. That means someone could have got 89% in all subjects. WHat the H*ll is not good enough about 89%. From my understanding the program included some 1st year med school courses. I hardly think a B is subpar. I don't expect that every one in med school who gets a B should be told they are subpar. Not everyone will get all A's. I think we as a society are too hung up on numbers and its unfortunate that RFU scrapped the program as we know it. Perhaps what they should have done is something similar to Michigan State CHM. They have their ABLE program which is given to select candidates in lieu of direct admission. The difference is that one cannot apply directly to ABLE but can only be selected from a regular medical school application. So in other words if they feel your application is not good enough for direct admisson but not bad enough for out right rejection then they offer you ABLE. You can't tell me its a cheesy way to get in cos your MD will then take 5 years instead of 4.

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW YOU GET INTO MED SCHOOL WHAT MATTERS IS HOW OR WHETHER YOU GET OUT!!

Call me cheesy.... I got my #1 choice.. Oh and I know you guys are premed and all but our match list is littered with APs in top notch fields. On top of that there were some APs who scored >240 and did some less competetive fields cause they wanted to..

I think what you see is bitterness on the part of some people. The people in the AP program as a % of our class do better on step 1 and the match.. is there any other performance marker that matters? IMO the school dumped it because it made their admit stats look bad, big mistake IMO.

Gracey103 said:
Thanks for all of your inputs! I think I will go to second look weekend for both schools. I've been searching for information, and it seems like Drexel is not in such a nice area. Should I be concerned about my safety?

Does RFU have a second look weekend?? I got the invite for Drexel's, but not RFU, and I've been accepted to both.

dont all worked up because of me...im just telling it how it is...its not necessarily my opinion...im reporting what other people have told me so dont get mad that others dont think highly of RFU...personally I didnt apply to RFU and I dont know squat about it...and i agree 100%...it doesnt matter where you go for med school but where you end up

Orth2006 said:
Perhaps what should be cheesy is if these people who get in with a 3.0 or higher despite their previous records, drop out of med school or fail the boards. But it seems the AP program produce some very good doctors despite their 3.0. Recall that on a 4.0 scale, 3.0 is a B. That means someone could have got 89% in all subjects. WHat the H*ll is not good enough about 89%. From my understanding the program included some 1st year med school courses. I hardly think a B is subpar. I don't expect that every one in med school who gets a B should be told they are subpar. Not everyone will get all A's. I think we as a society are too hung up on numbers and its unfortunate that RFU scrapped the program as we know it. Perhaps what they should have done is something similar to Michigan State CHM. They have their ABLE program which is given to select candidates in lieu of direct admission. The difference is that one cannot apply directly to ABLE but can only be selected from a regular medical school application. So in other words if they feel your application is not good enough for direct admisson but not bad enough for out right rejection then they offer you ABLE. You can't tell me its a cheesy way to get in cos your MD will then take 5 years instead of 4.

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW YOU GET INTO MED SCHOOL WHAT MATTERS IS HOW OR WHETHER YOU GET OUT!!

Gracey103 said:
Drexel or RFU?

I have no clue..

If you are thinking of returning to Cali for residency, you might be very happy at RFU. There are tons of pple from Cali, and many end up in residencies there. I can't speak for Drexel or other schools, but the M1s at RFU are a close-knit group and very involved.