lulubean

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
410
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i have heard both the location and clinical traning is significantly better at temple.
 
About the Ads

tigress

queen of the jungle
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
3,373
6
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lulubean said:
i have heard both the location and clinical traning is significantly better at temple.
I don't know much about the clinical training but I'm not sure what you mean by location. The main campus for Drexel is really nice; it's in the suburbs, yes, so if you don't have a car that could suck if you want to be able to hang out in Philly. I'm pretty sure they have a shuttle though. Temple is in the middle of the city, but I've heard their facilities aren't so nice (just hearsay, take it with a grain of salt).

I'm also curious to compare the two, since I'll almost definitely be staying in Philly and these will be on my list of schools I can hopefully get in to. I guess I know next to nothing about Temple. Anybody?
 

Thegandlighs

thegandlighs
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2003
63
0
CA
Visit site
Status
I would expect that the clinical training for both of these schools are both pretty much the same considering that both of their main training hospitals are located right in center city Philadelphia. While the actual medical campusfor Temple is actually in center city, the Drexel medical campus (where you take your classes in the first two years) is located in East Falls, which is about a 20 minute shuttle ride away. These shuttles are free and come quite frequently so traveling between campus and center city should not be a problem.
 

UptownDoc

Discharge Planner
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
18
0
Status
Thegandlighs said:
I would expect that the clinical training for both of these schools are both pretty much the same considering that both of their main training hospitals are located right in center city Philadelphia. While the actual medical campusfor Temple is actually in center city, the Drexel medical campus (where you take your classes in the first two years) is located in East Falls, which is about a 20 minute shuttle ride away. These shuttles are free and come quite frequently so traveling between campus and center city should not be a problem.
Take what I am saying for what it's worth. I am slightly biased, based on the fact that I am a Temple Med grad. First, one correction is that Temple med campus is not in Center City. It is in north philadelphia, the middle of the inner city.

That being said, when comparing the two schools. Drexel would probably have the better reputation for its first two years and the fact that they have a research component. Temple has great clinical training. If you don't wanna get your hands dirty, Temple is not for you. A lot will be expected of you in terms of drawing blood and procedures during rotations. In terms of real life doctoring you will get your fill. You see a lot of pathology in this hospital. Not just GOMERS and 'Ive fallen and I can't get up'. Residency programs are aware of this aspect of Temple's clinical training and its reputation will precede you.

And nothing against Drexel-- at all. Good Luck! :thumbup:
 

albinomidget

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
62
0
Status
Like UptownDoc, I am biased, though I am a student at Drexel med. I have definetely heard of Temple's clinical reputation as being very well known. However, I have not seen what their facilities for 1st and 2nd years/study space look like, although I think they have a new building that should be opening soon if not already.

While I think that Temple has a good clinical reputation, I don't think you can put all your marbles into assuming you'll get a great residency because of that. It is certainly a factor, especially to older residency directors, but it isn't everything. At both Drexel and Temple, I think that if you work hard, do well on the boards, and interact well with your peers/preceptors, doors will be open to you.

I am not entirely sure of all the clinical sites that Temple has to offer, but Drexel offers a variety from urban (Hahnemann Univ. Hosp, St. Chris Hosp for Children, Mercy System), suburban (St. Peter's, Atlantic Health System), to rural (i consider Harrisburg to be more rural, but you might not, York Hospital).

Also, a common complaint that I've heard from Temple med students is that no one stays on campus after classes, and it is hard to get to know your classmates initially. I imagine that over time you get to know them though.

Perhaps what is most important is which school feels right to you. Do you want to train primarily in an urban environment, or do you want flexibility? Many Temple med students live in Center City, while few Drexel students live their during their 1st/2nd years. I think that the sound from the lectures is recorded at Temple, while full video and sound is recorded at Drexel. How does the administration/faculty react to student suggestions (you'll have to ask students to get the full answer). Will you need a car at Temple (I'm not sure). It is technically required at Drexel, although a few students get away without having one. I think at either school you will receive an excellent education, and only you will know which school fits you the best.
 

HeavyA

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
44
0
Status
I would have to go with Temple. If you look at the match lists for both schools, Temple's is much more impressive. A higher percentage of Drexel grads go into primary care, probably because of Drexel's emphasis on training primary care physicians. That was one thing that turned me off to Drexel, since I have no intention of being a primary care doc. Matriculants at Temple also have a higher average GPA and MCAT than those at Drexel.
Anyway, when I got my acceptance from Temple in October, my drexel interview invitation went in the trash. Take it for what it's worth, but that's my opinion.
 

albinomidget

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
62
0
Status
BAM! said:
what's a "GOMER"?
Great reference UptownDoc! I meant to add that before.

GOMER = Get Out of My ER. Its a reference to a medical book called House of God, by Samuel Shem. Its a great easy read and recommended for anyone interested in medicine.

The Fat Man's Rules (From House Of God)
LAWS OF THE HOUSE OF GOD

I. GOMERS DON'T DIE.

II. GOMERS GO TO GROUND.

III. AT A CARDIAC ARREST, THE FIRST PROCEDURE IS TO TAKE YOUR OWN PULSE.

IV. THE PATIENT IS THE ONE WITH THE DISEASE.

V. PLACEMENT COMES FIRST.

VI. THERE IS NO BODY CAVITY THAT CANNOT BE REACHED WITH A #14 NEEDLE AND A GOOD STRONG ARM.

VII. AGE + BUN = LASIX DOSE.

VIII. THEY CAN ALWAYS HURT YOU MORE.

IX. THE ONLY GOOD ADMISSION IS A DEAD ADMISSION.

X. IF YOU DON'T TAKE A TEMPERATURE, YOU CAN'T FIND A FEVER.

XI. SHOW ME A BMS* WHO ONLY TRIPLES MY WORK AND I WILL KISS HIS FEET.

XII. IF THE RADIOLOGY RESIDENT AND THE BMS* BOTH SEE A LESION ON THE CHEST X-RAY, THERE CAN BE NO LESION THERE.

XIII. THE DELIVERY OF MEDICAL CARE IS TO DO AS MUCH NOTHING AS POSSIBLE.

from House of God by Samuel Shem

* Medical Student from the "Best Medical School."
 

UptownDoc

Discharge Planner
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
18
0
Status
albinomidget said:
Great reference UptownDoc! I meant to add that before.

GOMER = Get Out of My ER. Its a reference to a medical book called House of God, by Samuel Shem. Its a great easy read and recommended for anyone interested in medicine.

The Fat Man's Rules (From House Of God)
LAWS OF THE HOUSE OF GOD

I. GOMERS DON'T DIE.

II. GOMERS GO TO GROUND.

III. AT A CARDIAC ARREST, THE FIRST PROCEDURE IS TO TAKE YOUR OWN PULSE.

IV. THE PATIENT IS THE ONE WITH THE DISEASE.

V. PLACEMENT COMES FIRST.

VI. THERE IS NO BODY CAVITY THAT CANNOT BE REACHED WITH A #14 NEEDLE AND A GOOD STRONG ARM.

VII. AGE + BUN = LASIX DOSE.

VIII. THEY CAN ALWAYS HURT YOU MORE.

IX. THE ONLY GOOD ADMISSION IS A DEAD ADMISSION.

X. IF YOU DON'T TAKE A TEMPERATURE, YOU CAN'T FIND A FEVER.

XI. SHOW ME A BMS* WHO ONLY TRIPLES MY WORK AND I WILL KISS HIS FEET.

XII. IF THE RADIOLOGY RESIDENT AND THE BMS* BOTH SEE A LESION ON THE CHEST X-RAY, THERE CAN BE NO LESION THERE.

XIII. THE DELIVERY OF MEDICAL CARE IS TO DO AS MUCH NOTHING AS POSSIBLE.

from House of God by Samuel Shem

* Medical Student from the "Best Medical School."
Thank you albinomidget for writing that out. Thinking of those rules just warms my heart. If you are going into medicine, that book is a must read! Get to know the GOMERS....

On topic, I will note that Temple students rotate at a variety of hospitals- urban, suburban and rural. Some students even select to do their entire 3rd year at West Penn Hosp in Pittsburgh. The personality of each class may vary because my class was rather tight. We hung out all the time after class and with different crowds, too. We were very social. Planned events every week at a local bar. But the classes after me have been a little disjointed. They need to mingle a lil more. I'm with albinomidget there.

And I quote albinomidget again because I agree wholeheartedly that "at either school you will receive an excellent education, and only you will know which school fits you the best." Figure out what interests you, what your goals are. Maybe you can share this with us. I can absolutely let you know if Temple is a good fit for you.

Any more questions finallyin? Are you even still around...lol?
 
OP
F

finallyin

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
9
0
Status
Thanks for all the feedback guys. When I interviewed at both places, I was more impressed with Temple in terms of the fact that their teaching hospital was right across the street. I also was under the impression that it has a stronger research component than Drexel. In addition, I think I was a little turned off from Drexel because of the tour guide. I have never met such an unenthusiastic guide in my life and she was quite rude. I still wonder why they hired her to give the tour. The tour guides at Temple, on the other hand, were very enthusiastic of the school which gave me a good impression of the student life there. Any thoughts on the research component at either place?
 

yessir

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
18
0
Status
Anyone that interviewed at Temple in early February hear back yet? They said it would be b/w 2 and three weeks. Still Waiting.
 

albinomidget

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
62
0
Status
finallyin said:
Thanks for all the feedback guys. When I interviewed at both places, I was more impressed with Temple in terms of the fact that their teaching hospital was right across the street. I also was under the impression that it has a stronger research component than Drexel. In addition, I think I was a little turned off from Drexel because of the tour guide. I have never met such an unenthusiastic guide in my life and she was quite rude. I still wonder why they hired her to give the tour. The tour guides at Temple, on the other hand, were very enthusiastic of the school which gave me a good impression of the student life there. Any thoughts on the research component at either place?
I think a better question is what do you expect to get out of the research component? The vast majority of medical students do not have enough free time, much less time to DO research. Over the summer after 1st year, if you decide to do research you really have all doors open for you. Many of my friends did research at Drexel, Temple, Jeff, and Penn (HUP and CHOP). All you have to do is be semi-aggressive. Send e-mails to faculty in a field that you are interested in. Almost everyone I gets a response from someone.

If you are asking because you believe research has a role in the 'quality' of education, then I can say with certain that it really does not. It is more important to have someone knowledgable in a given field than the person doing the research. It is my experience that researchers generally know their subject very very well, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can teach it well. One of the biggest complaints I heard from students at Penn Med is that people who are specialists in a given field come in, give a lecture, and then are never to be heard from again. I prefer to have someone who is well read with current literature and has a desire to teach, and doesn't view teaching as a chore.

I'm sorry that your tour wasn't fun and enthusiastic. I don't know how she is on a regular basis, but remember that everyone has a bad day now and then. One of the reasons why I chose Drexel is because everyone I saw there had a smile on their face. The tour was given by a different woman when I was an applicant. That woman receently had a child and her role has changed in the admissions process.
 
OP
F

finallyin

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
9
0
Status
From what I saw at both places, I would say that Drexel's facilities were very modern. Temple had its lecture room recently done and I'm sure more changes are along the way. Unfortunately, the new building won't be finished until the incoming class graduates.

The reason why I asked about research was because of a prior post which stated that Drexel had a stronger research component. Research, alone, will not be the deciding factor for me to choose a school of course. However, I do wish to take advantage of research opportunities and I will probably pursue them as you have suggested, albinomidget.

As for the tour guide, I have heard she's been like that on several tours since some of my friends have interviewed there on different days and just happened to have her as well. If it wasn't for the other students, all of whom seemed very happy, I would've been completely turned off to the school.
 
About the Ads