Drexel Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayMiranti

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
kind of a shock, since I have been waitlisted at Einstein, competitive applicant at Georgetown, and waiting to hear from uconn (my state school) and nymc post interview......

I thought my interview went really well too, i interviewed feb 28 and even told the interviewer I was really interested in the school "not just as a back up" (which was semi-true), but i guess not...what do you all think happened?

I am slightly afraid that with such a quick and surprising rejection, maybe I said something or did something drastically wrong? but nothing stands out in my head.

I mean, they cant be worried about me not taking them seriously, i said i was interested, AND i havent been accepted anywhere else, its not like im that good of a candidate i mean...

well anyway my stats are 3.6/3.4 28Q from U. roch, one year out...

What do you guys think happened here? i was shocked...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry about your rejections. It always sucks. I think your numbers are competitive. d I also don't think it's just about numbers.

Many of us have been interviewed and accepted at places that surpised us and rejected by places that we thought were a lock. It feels random.

If you went before the committee on a different day, maybe you would have gotten in. It might have hurt you to interview so late in the year. Is their class almost filled. You might have had a better chance a few months ago.

Either way, stay positive. Accept the fact that some of this, most of this, is just unpredictable. I've been rejected from schools I thought I'd get an invite from and accepted at a couple of schools that I thought I didn't have a great chance at.

Good luck and don't get down on yourself. It's just the process.

Originally posted by JayMiranti
... even told the interviewer I was really interested in the school "not just as a back up" (which was semi-true) ...

What do you guys think happened here? i was shocked...

I wonder if the interviewer was insulted by this, I mean, I doubt that the doc you interviewed with feels like Drexel is a "back-up" school.

Members don't see this ad :)
right just the fact that you said "not just a back up" that's probably bad.

i said this at GW in my interview with the dean and she was not pleased. i laugh about it now, but yeah bad idea!

Saying its "not a backup" reveals that you've thought about it as a backup. Otherwise why would it even be an issue unless the interviewer brings it up?

Did you really say that? If you did, I concur with the above statements.

eh come on you have to call a spade a spade, at least acknowledge the fact that i am counting on this school more than other schools cuz it is more compatible with my numbers, in a nice way, anyway it came up when she said a lot of people from California use it as a backup school, so i chimed in...

Originally posted by JayMiranti
eh come on you have to call a spade a spade, at least acknowledge the fact that i am counting on this school more than other schools cuz it is more compatible with my numbers, in a nice way, anyway it came up when she said a lot of people from California use it as a backup school, so i chimed in...

That was a total trap. You should call a spade a spade-- just not in the interview! Disguise the spade!

the correct answer might have been something like, "I'm not sure why others apply to Drexel, but I know why I have. I'm very interest in your PIL program. I also like...."

You could have use this as a chance to really talk at length about what you like about their school.

But ok aside from anything that might have gone wrong at the interview i am still not understanding it...

Statistically, i feel like i would have been more likely to have been rejected from einstein or uconn or georgetown post interview before being rejected from drexel,

but thats not the case, i feel like i got some waitlists that were surprises, meaning they could have very well been rejections, why do i get unlucky at drexel, the school where i feel i SHOULD have a better chance?

I think it might just be that this late in the game you have to be a superstar to not get rejected...? or maybe it was that they thought i had no intention of enrolling there cuz they thought i was going to get into one of the other schools (wishful thinking i know) any input/rational/comforting ideas appreciated

My only conclusion is that "statistically" doesn't mean anything. I applied to an enormous range of schools, and had similarly ranked schools (whichever method you want to rank them) treat me completely differently. It's a pretty individual process.

One school which I really liked decided to offer me an interview several months after I interviewed at other schools. Total surprise. I guess someone took a second look at my app.

I admit I prefer the unpredictably of the process. It shows that there's still a significant human element to selecting 150 people from 7,000 applications.

Drexel hasn't contacted me since my application arrived in September, so I expect a rejection letter soon.

I wouldn't try to analyze this too much. As mentioned, the process is a lot more random than the schools would like you to think. I don't think the "back up school" comment could have helped, though probably not an overriding factor. Not to be insensitive, but your shock about not getting in indicates a little presumptuousness on your part...as if the school somehow made a serious mistake in not letting you in considering your stats. Perhaps your interviewer picked up on that attitude. Drexel takes a lot of flack from pre-med prestige junkies and may be a little touchy on the subject of "back up" status. The comment may have tipped the balance. You should also be aware that your numbers don't make you a slam dunk acceptance at Drexel. Your G.P.A is about the average of incoming students, while your MCAT is actually a couple of points below average for the school.

It's water under the bridge, JayMiranti. If I were to offer constructive advice, I'd just say to drastically change the subject when something like the school-of-interest's backup status comes up.

Nonetheless, not getting in at Hahneman is not the worst scenario - keep in mind, they still reject probably thousands of other applicants in the pool. The school's not THAT easy to get into! Did you interview at Uconn? If so, when? I myself am from Connecticut (though I applied as a NY state resident since I worked here for a couple years) and would much rather take an acceptance there over hahneman. It's a nice school, with content students, and - tuition is 10K a year!! I bet getting in there shouldn't be nearly as tough as the other schools according to their stats (at least comparable to hahneman in my mind). The numbers back this up.

thanks everybody for the input i know it can be a random process

to the dude two posts above me
"picked up on the attitude"?
pointing out that my numbers are at or below average?

chill out and stop attacking people
i only implied that i am shocked to get into drexel given what happened at other schools...
dont try to come up with little anectodes like "maybe she sensed this" get out of here

i did not mean to imply that i am shocked that a crappy school like drexel wouldnt bend over backwards to accept me with my ridiculous stats and divine personality....as you have tried to accuse me of doing, which is cliche, desparate, and unwarranted attack on someone who is honestly concerned about his chances of admission to any med school. so be nice

Sorry to offend original poster, but you did invite comment and I thought I'd chime in, being a student there myself with possibly something to add to the discussion. I myself admit to being sensitive to the erroneous perception that Drexel accepts just about everybody and may have been reacting to that. I didn't mean to put you down, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I know it sucks to be waiting for an acceptance...having gone through it myself, as well as a second round of applications after not getting in the first time. It sounds like you have some strong possibilities at other schools. I wish you luck.

I got rejected post-interview from Drexel, but was fortunate to have acceptances to higher tier medical schools.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I didn't even get an interview offer from Drexel, I think it's because they have that stupid paper application that asks for the same information as the AMCAS. I screwed up on the chronology of my volunteer experiences and had to use white out, and it got a little messy...

They aren't still offering interviews are they?

Oh well, I got into Temple.

You can call Lisa and ask why the committee rejected you.