Drexel School of Public Health is better than Columbia School of Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnlyFearGOD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Drexel School of Public Health > Columbia's Mailman School of Public Health

Drexel School of Public Health rigoursly trains their students:

120 hours of practicum experience in a community health organization.

A Poster must be presented at the annual Drexel's Poster presentation

------That is all in 1 year-------

In the second year, you have to commit to 120 hours per quarter at a community-oriented, health-related agency, working as an integral part of the organization. In preparation for developing their final paper, students are required to identify an issue or problem of significance to the target community or agency, synthesize the literature, develop an approach or methodology to address the issue, and either implement and test the validity of a proposed approach or set out a detailed prescription for addressing the problem. Projects must be focused so that they may be completed within one academic year......

There was a Public health student from Columbia that was amazed about what Drexel offered and she said Columbia does not prepare her well like Drexel prepares their students......

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand the point of this targeted comparison.

However:

I'm assuming you mean 120 hours of practicum experience in one year? Let's assume that you mean six months for argument's sake. That's 20 hours a month (breaking it down further - just five hours a week), which most students in most public health universities dedicate to health organizations as volunteers/interns/research assistants/etc. Just because it is enunciated it in one program and not in another doesn't mean that the school doesn't support it. The poster, of course, is a really good idea for a public health student but, once again, is not proof that students at Columbia aren't doing the same. Plus, productions of posters, which feels like a fallible correlation to make, does not always mean excellence.

In the second year, you have to commit to 120 hours per quarter at a community-oriented, health-related agency, working as an integral part of the organization.

So, I looked up the program at Drexel and it's apparently called "the Community-Based Master's Project (CBMP)"? The description says, "The CBMP occurs during the second year. Students spend at least 1.5 days each week at a community-oriented, health-related agency, working as an integral part of the organization. In preparation for developing their final paper, students are required to identify an issue or problem of significance to the target community or agency, synthesize the literature, develop an approach or methodology to address the issue, and either implement and test the validity of a proposed approach or set out a detailed prescription for addressing the problem. Projects must be focused so that they may be completed within one academic year."

Students at Columbia also have to do a practicum and I'm sure that, as is the most likely case with Drexel students, it takes up more than just 1.5 days each week. The same goes for many other public health schools as well - I haven't heard of a program that DIDN'T want that much experience in the second year. The only difference I know is that Columbia concentrates its required practicum over the summer. However, many students do research and internships on the side afterwards as well.

Let's assume that quarters are each 3 months long - that's still only 40 hours a month (you said 120 hours each quarter) - which is about 10 hours a week. From my knowledge, most internships want more than 10 hours a week. I'm sure both Drexel and Columbia students work more hours than that for their practicum. Finally, Columbia students have to write a thesis paper at the end of their practicum, as well.

There was a Public health student from Columbia that was amazed about what Drexel offered and she said Columbia does not prepare her well like Drexel prepares their students......

I'm not a fan of individual anecdotes as it's not the same as a proper statistical sample that's needed to actually prove a hypothesis as significant.

In conclusion: Perhaps the best way to determine a program's strength...is something that is not this.

Drexel's CBMP
Columbia's Practicum

Members don't see this ad :)
In conclusion: Perhaps the best way to determine a program's strength...is something that is not this.

I tried not to comment on this thread-- there are so many schools that work so well for so many people -- but swaffles, your quote is priceless.

I agree. Swaffles your analysis and sticking points are spot on. Great way to diffuse a potential controversial posting. I have always been an in favor of expressing one's viewpoint, but only in a manner that is both reasonable and fair. To the original poster, I have no doubts that Drexel has a strong MPH program and hope you remain a positive advocate for the university. I only caution you do so in way that would not potentially hurt any Columbia students. Cheers.

I don't understand the point of this targeted comparison.

However:

I'm assuming you mean 120 hours of practicum experience in one year? Let's assume that you mean six months for argument's sake. That's 20 hours a month (breaking it down further - just five hours a week), which most students in most public health universities dedicate to health organizations as volunteers/interns/research assistants/etc. Just because it is enunciated it in one program and not in another doesn't mean that the school doesn't support it. The poster, of course, is a really good idea for a public health student but, once again, is not proof that students at Columbia aren't doing the same. Plus, productions of posters, which feels like a fallible correlation to make, does not always mean excellence.

In the second year, you have to commit to 120 hours per quarter at a community-oriented, health-related agency, working as an integral part of the organization.

So, I looked up the program at Drexel and it's apparently called "the Community-Based Master's Project (CBMP)"? The description says, "The CBMP occurs during the second year. Students spend at least 1.5 days each week at a community-oriented, health-related agency, working as an integral part of the organization. In preparation for developing their final paper, students are required to identify an issue or problem of significance to the target community or agency, synthesize the literature, develop an approach or methodology to address the issue, and either implement and test the validity of a proposed approach or set out a detailed prescription for addressing the problem. Projects must be focused so that they may be completed within one academic year."

Students at Columbia also have to do a practicum and I'm sure that, as is the most likely case with Drexel students, it takes up more than just 1.5 days each week. The same goes for many other public health schools as well - I haven't heard of a program that DIDN'T want that much experience in the second year. The only difference I know is that Columbia concentrates its required practicum over the summer. However, many students do research and internships on the side afterwards as well.

Let's assume that quarters are each 3 months long - that's still only 40 hours a month (you said 120 hours each quarter) - which is about 10 hours a week. From my knowledge, most internships want more than 10 hours a week. I'm sure both Drexel and Columbia students work more hours than that for their practicum. Finally, Columbia students have to write a thesis paper at the end of their practicum, as well.

I'm not a fan of individual anecdotes as it's not the same as a proper statistical sample that's needed to actually prove a hypothesis as significant.

Drexel's CBMP
Columbia's Practicum

no means to create controversy....Just stating people's experience and observations from different public health schools

120 hours is within one quarter and there are 10 weeks in the quarter. Students at Drexel start their practicum, in the spring quarter.

For the CBMP, it is actually 120 hours per quarter..... First year students get a taste of the "practicum life" which eases them to what they will be doing each quarter in their second year....

I tried not to comment on this thread-- there are so many schools that work so well for so many people -- but swaffles, your quote is priceless.

I completely agree with werd. I tried to stay away from this thread as well but couldn't. I sincerely hope OnlyFearGod realizes the possibility that, the title of this thread is essentially implying that those of us who have chosen Columbia have made a bad decision. I don't think this is the place to make such a bold statement. If you think the practicum design at Drexel is better, just say that instead.

no means to create controversy....Just stating people's experience and observations from different public health schools

120 hours is within one quarter and there are 10 weeks in the quarter. Students at Drexel start their practicum, in the spring quarter.

For the CBMP, it is actually 120 hours per quarter..... First year students get a taste of the "practicum life" which eases them to what they will be doing each quarter in their second year....

I personally see no controversy at all. However, you seem to base your opinion of a completely objective structure (hours per quarter) on the subjective opinions of others. Since I was an incredibly lazy person during college, I know how easy it is to do x hours of a task and still gain no valuable experience from it.

Logically, I always find it hard for someone to say "School A is better than School B, and I'm a 100% sure about it", as you have, because that would assume that you attended both schools and have therefore, a proper background in both schools to compare both from an equal platform.

In any case, what people want is proof that the Drexel program is 'better', assuming that's what you're still trying to show by clarifying the points about hours per quarter.

Maybe a better way to compare, if you still insist on doing it, would be to put the stats for Columbia and Drexel side by side and see which program out-competes the other in the job market, in loan repayment, rate of job procurement within 6 months and salaries. It still won't paint a full picture by any means but it will show what employers prefer, won't it?

Of course, that is going to bring the claws out, but if you do the research, I'll willingly look at it. What I'm hoping that you'll find is that there is not the curriculum itself that makes the difference, but the people themselves (and resources).

Let me know what you find when you research =)