Drexel, Temple, or Buffalo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yuliya11111

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I"m leaning toward either Drexel or Temple? What do you guys recommend? I just read the thread about how Drexel is a bad school, so now I"m wondering which I should choose.

Members don't see this ad.

there are some people on here with views that you shouldnt let get to you.

drexel, temple and buffalo are all accreditted and you will get a great medical education.

in my opinion tho...i dont think i could live in buffalo tho i am from ny. i would prolly choose between drexel and temple.

Originally posted by Yuliya11111
I"m leaning toward either Drexel or Temple? What do you guys recommend? I just read the thread about how Drexel is a bad school, so now I"m wondering which I should choose.
Drexel is only a bad school if you are an elitist snob. If you like it (and they do have some unique features, such as the PIL program) then go for it. In the end, it's all about you, your education, and where you'd be happiest for the next 4 years. There's more to a medical education than the US News rankings!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Yuliya11111

drexel is not a bad school.

which did you like most when you interviewed?

have you checked out their match lists? if there's a specialty you're considering, maybe check out how many people from their classes get accepted to those residencies.

what about how 3rd/4th year clerkships are set up? this is supposed to be pretty important when choosing a school. can you find out which one will have more hands-on opportunities and less scut?

just a few things to think about...

i also got accepted into drexel and temple but am waiting on UC schools and between the two I'd choose drexel. If I don't get into a UC I would go to drexel hands down. I don't care what SDN snobs say about the school. When I interviewed there, it was amazing. Very hands on community service oriented and perfect if you are a female interested in OB/GYN, women's health care policy, or focusing on clinical work. The only reason drexel doesn't rank as high in my opinion is that it's not strong at all in research but that's not my focus. another thing about temple is that it's not in the safest location.

if you were a NY resident I would absolutely go to Buffalo. Saving $20,000 plus a year goes a long way. Could make life happier at Buffalo if you had some money to burn. I haven't seen Temple to compare those two.

i've seen all three schools and personally liked Temple the best. they're good schools, but i didn't want to be in new york, and I thought i'd get more clinical exposure through temple.

it's all personal choice. where did you get the best feel?

I don't know much about Buffalo, but I'd definitely choose Drexel over Temple. Drexel is definitely not a bad school, and I like the fact that you can choose between IFM and PIL. My only concern is the possibility of financial problems in the future. Last I heard, Temple was on the verge of losing its accreditation, so I wouldn't go there. But I didn't apply to Temple, so I don't really have all the info.

and I was actually jumping up and down with joy when I got accepted. However, but bubble was burst with all the people saying how Drexel is everyone's back up school. But yeah, I'd choose Drexel.

Go with either Temple or Drexel. Philadelphia is a cool city and there is a lot of fun to be had here. Buffalo has umm... snow. I would choose Drexel based on curriculum and location. For me, I would choose Drexel over a bunch of the schools I applied to.

If you are a NY resident this is my order:

Buffalo, then Temple, then Drexel

Don't sleep on Temple. I remember reading a post on SDN from someone who graduated from Temple, did his residency at Harvard, and is doing like a Cards fellowship at Hopkins or Penn.