DoctorMalki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
I was wondering if you guys knew what the best (and cheapest :) ) way would be to get from philadelphia international airport to a hotel near drexel. Also where did you guys stay and how did you get to the interview? There is a list of places on their website but I have no idea how the public transportation is in philadelphia. Thanks all ! :)

Dr.Alex

Dr.Alex
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
New York
Status
I stayed at:
The Parson's Corner Bed and Breakfast
Bill and Martha deHeyman
3300 W. Queen Lane
(corner of Queen Lane and Henry Avenue)
215-842-3300
Rates: $45 single, $65 double
They were so, so nice. I took a very overpriced taxi from the Amtrak station. I haven't figured out transporation in Philly at all yet. Probably the deHeyman's could advice you the best way to get from the airport. By the way, I loved Drexel. Great school. Good luck on the interview.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
I dont think there are many hotels nearby the school, however, maybe you could take a cab to a hotel or inn somewhere in or around Center City, and take the shuttle that picks people up at the corner of Broad and Vine, across from the Tenet MCP Hospital....the shuttle runs every 15 min, and takes anywhere from 20-30 min to get to the Drexel Med school...just one suggestion

OP
DoctorMalki

DoctorMalki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
Blue Scrub said:
I dont think there are many hotels nearby the school, however, maybe you could take a cab to a hotel or inn somewhere in or around Center City, and take the shuttle that picks people up at the corner of Broad and Vine, across from the Tenet MCP Hospital....the shuttle runs every 15 min, and takes anywhere from 20-30 min to get to the Drexel Med school...just one suggestion
Thanks Blue Scrub! Is that shuttle operated by drexel? or is it a private shuttle?

OP
DoctorMalki

DoctorMalki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
Dr.Alex said:
I stayed at:
The Parson's Corner Bed and Breakfast
Bill and Martha deHeyman
3300 W. Queen Lane
(corner of Queen Lane and Henry Avenue)
215-842-3300
Rates: $45 single, $65 double
They were so, so nice. I took a very overpriced taxi from the Amtrak station. I haven't figured out transporation in Philly at all yet. Probably the deHeyman's could advice you the best way to get from the airport. By the way, I loved Drexel. Great school. Good luck on the interview.
Thanks Dr. Alex :) I called them but since my flight gets in at 11pm they won't be able to accomodate me.

Uegis

1 Down 3 To Go
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Cab to Center City is flat-rate - 20 dollars. The train also takes you directly to the Convention Center at Center City, around five bucks. The Drexel shuttle, according to a friend in the post-bacc IMS, is only for students and you need to show ID. Since you are coming in so late, I would suggest just catching a cab. If you are brave, you can try taking SEPTA, www.septa.org. Go there to plan your trip.

Good luck with the interview DoctorMalki. I bailed out on mine the last second, but now wished that I did go to my Drexel interview.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
DoctorMalki said:
Thanks Blue Scrub! Is that shuttle operated by drexel? or is it a private shuttle?
It is a Drexel-run shuttle, so no probs there....it is reliable and does come often like i said before...its pretty easy to find as well, there is a small driveway that the shuttle uses, as well as one of those bus canopy things with a bench underneath....its free as well! Of course you could just take a cab there, but it may be pricey....no prob, glad to help you out! Good luck on the interview, congrats!

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Uegis said:
Cab to Center City is flat-rate - 20 dollars. The train also takes you directly to the Convention Center at Center City, around five bucks. The Drexel shuttle, according to a friend in the post-bacc IMS, is only for students and you need to show ID.
It technically is for students only, however, they never check ID, plus if you are arriving in a suit and tie, the driver will know you're interviewing at the school and most likely will not give you any trouble....def try the shuttle, I really really doubt you'll have any problem using it, but if for some reason you do have a tough time, you'll be at a major intersection where a cab should not be hard to find

OP
DoctorMalki

DoctorMalki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
you guys are so great !!! Thank you Ugeis and Blue Scrub! :) so i called drexel and they said that applicants can use the shuttle for free. This helped so much ! Thanks again :)

lakersfan

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
los angeles, ca
Status
Medical Student
I stayed at the Holiday Inn. A cab to there costs 20 dollars. When you check in at Holiday Inn, tell them you need a shuttle the next morning to Drexel (it will be free).

For your trip back to the airport, take the Septa...it is a very very short 5 minute walk (maybe less) from the campus. It goes directly to the airport too. I wouldn't recommend taking septa at night but during the daytime it is fine. You can ask the staff at the admissions office what time the train departs at (like every half hour) so you can plan what time to leave Drexel and arrive at the train station.

Good luck with your interview!

Elphie

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2004
Status
Blue Scrub said:
It technically is for students only, however, they never check ID, plus if you are arriving in a suit and tie, the driver will know you're interviewing at the school and most likely will not give you any trouble....def try the shuttle, I really really doubt you'll have any problem using it, but if for some reason you do have a tough time, you'll be at a major intersection where a cab should not be hard to find

I know it specifically said on the website that interviewees could take the shuttle and if you showed the driver the letter inviting you to interview, that would be sufficient enough to allow you on the shuttle. Good luck on your interview! :luck:

2tall

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2004
USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Visit site
Status
I stayed at the Comfort Inn the night after my interview. It's a great location particularly if you plan to sight-see. After my interview I took Drexel's shuttle to Broad and Vine. The Comfort Inn shuttle picked me there. So I'm sure the reverse would work for you on your interview day.

Going to and fro the Airport you can take the train. Leaving Philly...The Comfort Inn shuttle dropped me off the train station (13th Street...I think...don't quote me). Again, I'm assuming the reverse would work as well.

Hope that made sense.

docinthemaking

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
Status
Medical Student
The Lady Liberty (door to door) Airport Shuttle is also an option if you don't want to spend $20 on a cab. You can take the shuttle directly from the airport to your hotel for $8. Go to the ground transportation booth in the baggage claim area, grab a ticket, and then dial 27 for Lady Liberty. I'm not sure what time the shuttle stops running but here's the number if you want to give them a call and find out (215)724-8888. If you decide to take the shuttle back to the airport, just call the same number in advance to make an appointment. Good luck at your interview!

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Elphie said:
I know it specifically said on the website that interviewees could take the shuttle and if you showed the driver the letter inviting you to interview, that would be sufficient enough to allow you on the shuttle. Good luck on your interview! :luck:
Sweet, thanks for the backup! :D

albinomidget

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
Status
Hopefully this won't be repetitious, but here's what I can add. As it says on the admissions website, you can use the R1 train from the airport. It stops at 30th street station (30th and Market), Suburban Street Station (around 16th and Market), and Market East Station (around 12th and Market). That will certainly be the cheapest way to go, but I would suggest using a cab for $20 flat rate into Center City (if that's where you're staying). It will be much less stressful.

Over the past three years, I have never seen the shuttle ask for an ID b/t CC and Queen Lane. The shuttle is across from Hahnemann University Hospital (as opposed to MCP, which is now called Women's Medical Hospital, and will be the first stop on the shuttle - QL is the second/last). It is as the other poster said across from the hospital on Vine Street between Broad and 15th (someone way back when decided there doesn't need to be a 14th street and just called it Broad Street instead). There is room for you to store your luggage in the admissions office, so its cool to take what you have with you.

As far as getting back to the airport goes, you have a few options as others already said. The R8 is about a 5 minute walk from the Queen Lane campus, and that goes to 30th Street station where you can transfer to the R1. Depending on when your flight is, you might want to explore Center City for a bit (and get some food too). Just take the shuttle back to CC, go to your hotel, and ask them to hold onto your luggage if you don't feel like lugging it about. Then its play time.

Good luck on your interview.

OP
DoctorMalki

DoctorMalki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
thank you all so much for making this so easy for me ! You all are awesome ! :love: I will let you all know how it goes :)