Drexel vs. EVMS vs. SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuccessfulCycle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to receive multiple offers but am very unsure about which school I should decide. The top 3 most important factors for me right now, in no particular ranking, are: cost of attendance, location (preferably an urban region that is close to home), and curriculum structure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Drexel
Pros:
  • Great match list, both by speciality and region
  • Philly is a lot more fun/ has better opportunities than Norfolk/Saint Louis
  • Students/faculty are very friendly
  • Family is only a 3 hour drive away
  • Pass/fail
Cons:
  • Ridiculously expensive ($81k a year and probability of getting aid is low)
  • No immediate hospital nearby which means you will have to commute for clerkships
  • Campus seemed a little small to fit such a large class. Also seemed like it was secluded from the rest of the city
  • Online only lecture system - not a big deal but would be nice to have faculty/peers around to learn and work together
EVMS
Pros:
  • Cheap instate tuition
  • Ironically even though its in state, distance to my home (Northern Virginia) is the same as to Drexel in Philly
  • Very familiar with the state of Virginia so would feel comfortable living here
  • Hospital is attached to school so no commute needed during clerkships
  • Close to the beach
Cons:
  • Emphasis on primary care so not sure how that will equate to matching into competitive specialities/finding research opportunities
  • Not completely pass/fail??
  • Norfolk is not a very big city, doesn’t have much to do compared to Philly
SLU
Pros:
  • Highest ranking among these 3 schools
  • Pass/fail
  • More research opportunities than EVMS, not sure compared to Drexel
  • Gave me a 20k scholarship to match the cost of attendance at EVMS
  • Hospital is attached to the medical school (there is an underground pathway that directly connects the two)
Cons:
  • Matches were mostly in the midwest/west coast and not very competitive. West coast is cool but would rather not be in the midwest both during medical school and residency
  • Far from family

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like the decision comes down between Drexel and EVMS, with EVMS making more financial sense while Drexel would be more exciting. Unless I'm interpreting it incorrectly?

What's the actual difference in cost between EVMS and Drexel? Find out what it is, then think about whether that difference is worth it.

Seems like the decision comes down between Drexel and EVMS, with EVMS making more financial sense while Drexel would be more exciting. Unless I'm interpreting it incorrectly?

What's the actual difference in cost between EVMS and Drexel? Find out what it is, then think about whether that difference is worth it.
Drexel has a 81k COA while EVMS is 59k. Drexel already made it clear to me that the probability of getting more aid is low (I got 2k a year) whereas EVMS hasn't even given me my aid package aid so it could be even cheaper.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that Hanhemann hospital has been having some financial difficulty (that's not new but now there's been more chatter about bankruptcy). Before matriculating to Drexel, it will be important to understand how that affects your clinical training during 3rd and 4th year.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard that Hanhemann hospital has been having some financial difficulty (that's not new but now there's been more chatter about bankruptcy). Before matriculating to Drexel, it will be important to understand how that affects your clinical training during 3rd and 4th year.
That was one of my main concerns too

Ive had zero rotations at HUH and will only have one total through MS3 and MS4.

We got an email after President Fry had a town hall about it. The associate dean said they have secured commitments from other affiliates to accomodate DUCOM’s students should anything happen.

Ive had zero rotations at HUH and will only have one total through MS3 and MS4.

We got an email after President Fry had a town hall about it. The associate dean said they have secured commitments from other affiliates to accomodate DUCOM’s students should anything happen.

Plus apparently there are talks of Tower Health purchasing Hahnemann to strengthen their relationship with DUCOM as an affiliate. According to the residency forum they signed a letter of intent to purchase HUH and part of the agreement might be to switch HUH to not-for-profit status.

Im from SLU and it sounds like you'll like EVMS more. Close to home cheap and respected.