Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Drexel vs GW (george washington)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by merlinwall, Jan 5, 2009.

1. merlinwall

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Okay guys... unless pitt comes through and surprises me, I'll be picking between GW and Drexel. I figure the Philly vs. DC debate can apply to a lot of people. I know Philly well and love it, though Drexel is quite a hike from the city... and I know almost nothing about DC except it's crowded and expensive.

As for curriculum, they both have the multiple classes at once format. Both seem discipline based rather than systems. Drexel can get the shaft in terms of wards locations... not sure about GW. GW has a cool student run clinic, and a track where they teach you how to teach medicine. Drexel has the peer-taught option, but I hate that idea and would opt for the regular classroom.

I need some folks to bounce ideas off of... any thoughts? They seem pretty evenly matched, but maybe I'm missing something. Is it obvious? When I tell people I got into GW, there's a way bigger response than Drexel... but I figure most people don't know anything. What do you guys think???

2. BTC

BTC
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  3. funkydrmonkey

funkydrmonkey They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do you like museums? If yes, then go to GW: Smithsonian FTW
    Do you like historical memorabilia? If yes, go to Drexel: Old Philly FTW
    Do you wanna be close to the people who make the USMLE?: Go to Drexel: NBME FTW

Oh and for those of you interested:

National Board of Medical Examiners
    3750 Market Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19104-3102
    General telephone number: (215) 590-9500
    Examinee support services: (215) 590-9700; fax (215) 590-9457

I'd say GW though... IMHO: Smithsonian FTW!;)

4. sushichopstickz

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    GW, because this is where I will most likely attend next year, hehe.

5. beachblonde

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    GW. Hands down, GW.

I'm way jealous of your acceptance. :(

6. classdodger

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    id personally go with drexel on this one but either one is going to get you a good education.
    drexel has a system based curriculum along with an option for PBL
    as far as clinicals i feel like drexel offers a more diverse range of setting in which to learn in(rural, suburban, and urban in two major cities).
    here are both schools clinical affiliations (disregard limited and graduate in terms of clinical training however if any of those hospitals interest it may give you a leg up in terms of residency, especially for the graduate affiliations)
    http://www0.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/medsch/0,1238,04115,00.html
    http://www0.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/medsch/0,1238,01001,00.html

7. rama kandra

rama kandra Actual Psychiatrist jk
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    people are not really stupid when they recognize gw and not drexel. gw has been around for a lot longer than drexel however that really shouldnt change your decision (i figure that it wouldnt either way) but to help persuade your choice, i like how philly is between new york and dc. to be honest it is a really cool city and id take it over dc most days.

gw is in foggy bottom which is kind of okay, drexel is going to have a lot more med students so you could try to imagine a bigger support system whether that means anything - philly is just a lot more interesting than dc truth be told - youll just encounter a million poly sci majors every time you go out - everyone wants to work for obama and youll get sick of the vibe unless you dig politics and law and american-ness because that is DC in a nutshell.

8. saqrfaraj

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    1825 vs. 1848 is probably not going to play a significant role in most applicants' decisions. :laugh:

9. rama kandra

5+ Year Member

drexel medical school is celebrating their 10th anniversary.

10. saqrfaraj

Fellow [Any Field]
    Consider the history.

11. boggvir

boggvir Sunny California
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The medical school has been around for much more than a hundred years. The anniversary is when Drexel bought the college (it was Hahnemann before then), not when the school started.

12. rama kandra

5+ Year Member

again, my point is not obscure history but rather that ordinary peeps dont have a clue about drexel as a medical school vs george washington u.

the name is long standing and drexel is a new name.

13. saqrfaraj

Fellow [Any Field]
    I can agree with that.

14. tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know anything about Philadelphia, but I should say a few good things about the nations capitol.

1. The city is YOUNG. It feels like everyone around you is twenty something. Great vibe from this.
    2. Great public transportation. From Foggy Bottom you can get anywhere on the metro.
    3. It is beautiful.. and not in the traditional city sense. No building can be taller than the capitol (aside from the monument of course), so it feels smaller. I'd even go with homier compared to the skyscrapers of most big cities.
    4. DC is very green. There are trees all down the main streets of the city and parks scattered throughout. Every part of town just feels like a little neighborhood.
    5. If it is your kind of thing, history and art museums are everywhere - and they're free. Plenty of touristy stuff to see as well.

If you like GW better as a school, then do not worry about not liking Washington as a location. It is a great place. Good luck with your choice!

15. rama kandra

5+ Year Member

someone with a bit more experience should make a list like that for drexel/philly

16. tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would actually love to hear some good things about Philly since it looks like I'm probably going to end up at PCOM.

17. Gamble

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I think you should take more important factors into account, such as the residency match list, USMLE pass rate, and the number of hospitals for clinical rotations Those factors will eventually determine what specialty you choose. From what i hear, GW has a mediocre match list, despite its better reputation. Is that true? I know that ultimately its what you make of the education, but sometimes the connection is what will give you an edge. For example, GW doesnt have a good cardiology program. Anyone else able to compare the 2 schools in these aspects.

18. VincentAdultman

VincentAdultman Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Things like match list and USMLE pass rate are poor ways to evaluate a choice of medical school.

Both of these are based on the motivation of the individual much more than the reputation of the med school i.e. a brilliant, hardworking person is going to get a great step one score and match into integrated plastics wether they went to UCSF of directional state.

Not to mention that when I was in undergrad I had no clue what a good USMLE score was, what the competitive specialties are, or what the top programs are in those specialties. So schools can show you match lists and be all like "OMG look at people going to mass gen and hopkins." It is irrelevant without any context.

In my opinion, how you see yourself getting aloing with potential faculty and classmates, location, and tuition are far more important.

Oh, and pick Drexel. I am unbiased.

19. beachblonde

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think that's an entirely accurate depiction of DC. All those Republican senators/congressmen/oh wait that current president have staffers, too. There's every part of the political spectrum represented in DC, for sure. But there are a lot of government types, lawyers, NGO staffers, etc around (which I think is a good thing-variety is the spice of life, no?). I really love DC-it's culturally vibrant, beautiful, and there's always something going on.

I'm curious about your feelings on Drexel, only because my friends who go there all bitch about the school continually. You might be one of the few people I've seen on SDN post that they really like DUCOM.

But you're right about factors to pick a school-there are no bad US medical schools, so chosing the one that fits best vs. pure reputation or hearsay is a good idea. Tuition counts for a lot in my book. So does location.

20. saqrfaraj

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm fairly partial to Drexel, myself. What do they bitch about?

21. beachblonde

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh....the administration, certain professors, the location (as in, not being all that close to the hospital), philly in general, certain classes, certain classmates (which is not a Drexel specific problem, you find d-bags everywhere).

I've got friends at at least 20 different med schools, and the ones at DUCOM complain the most. This is, of course, hardly evidence that any given person should not attend the school, I'm sure they have happy students. Those students simply do not include my few friends there.

22. saqrfaraj

Fellow [Any Field]
    Well I suppose everyone has differing opinions. This is further proof that you should find a school that fits you well.

23. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    we gotta popular SOB here, dont we

i couldnt even name 20 different med schools, none the less people who GO to 20 different med schools :(

i feel that every school is going to have shitty classmates, shitty professors, and shitty classes that waste the hell out of everyones time

isnt that what premed was all about, too?

24. saqrfaraj

Fellow [Any Field]
    zing!

25. beachblonde

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, when you add up my friends from high school, college, assorted summer programs, and grad school, yeah there's at least 20 of them who went to med school, and very few attend the same schools. Yes, I know people at UVA, Stanford, Hopkins, Drexel, GW, yadda yadda, but I don't exactly see how that makes me all high and mighty? Dude, I'm a reapplicant. :rolleyes:

But no school is perfect, and even a person who loves a school will probably have something to complain about if asked. I didn't mean to start a fight here...

26. DrZeke

DrZeke yzarc gniog ylwolS
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Uh..ok people. Drexel has been owned by 4 different people in the last 20 years. It has gone through tons of problems and I think their clinical education has suffered from it. Not only that, but you have 4 medical schools in philadelphia, 3 of which are better ranked than Drexel.

So...despite GW being expensive, go there. It's not just about the city, when you're dealing with two shcools that aren't on equal ground.

27. bluesmd

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i would also go to GW, i think the city is a really cool place, but that's just my opinion? maybe you should check out the schools in second look?

28. tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Drexel
    Temple
    Penn
    Jefferson
    PCOM

5 medical schools.. Why do I feel like I can guess which one you were forgetting? ;)

29. beachblonde

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Funny how that happens....it's only been around for 100+ years, I'm sure nobody's heard of it! :laugh:

Philadelphia is overrun with medical schools. Hec, the state of the PA is overrun with medical schools. I only wish DC had more med schools...sigh...

30. jelly476

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    so I got into Drexel and was deciding between that and Wayne state in detriot until NYU came along and made the decision for me. And I went to Georgetown for undergrad which is a mile away from GW.

So D.C. is an interesting city. The main city is itself a commuter city. Most people who work downtown live in Fairfax Virginia or up in Maryland. So down itself empties at night. But you've still got georgetown which is very young and hip (and pricey) a mile away or less as well as Adam's Morgan and other cool areas. Lots of culture and it feels very important since you are right in the heart of it. GW is considered to be a "lower middle" medical school but decent of course.

As for Philly and drexel, I like philly alot (being from PA). Philly has more of a soul than D.C. and feels more vibrant. It might not always be safe but it has alot of character. Philly is a city you either love or hate but I love it. Drexel is considered to be a "lower" medical school but it's still got a great program and the students seem relaxed and laid back. It is not downtown and a bit of a ways from the hospital but the building is brand new and the facilities are nice.

31. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    lols someone's trying to start a flame war

what evidence has you for this statement?

32. VincentAdultman

VincentAdultman Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, since MCPH became Drexel they added some clinical sites, upgraded existing facilities, and finished an addition to the Queen Lane campus in 2007.

But hey, I think I'll go with your statement that had no factual basis at all.

33. droshan

droshan Waitlist King!
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Isn't GW on probation or something?

34. Jtrenier

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yes. They sent an e-mail out about this:

35. merlinwall

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I hugely appreciate this discussion. I share many of the sentiments (and am confused at best by others)...

Couple Questions:
    *What are some of the best areas to live in DC? Georgetown? Arlington? I think I'd want to live by the Blue or Orange line to get to Foggy Bottom, so that's a priority...right?
    *I know Philly has amazing restaurants because from Steven Star to Morimoto to Monk's they're covered top to bottom... What are some fun, good, interesting places to eat in DC? (Serving Belgian Beer is a huge plus)...

Correction:
    You were totally right-- Drexel is a systems based education. In fact, it's subdivided into weekly topics based on a certain case... very cool... I think. I'm having a really hard time conceptualizing whether I'd rather discipline vs. systems... THOUGHTS?

Neurology:
    Any Neuro folks out there? How has DUCOM or GW been good/bad for you in terms of research, learning, emphasis, networking, matching... etc. in the Neuro world?

Significant Other:
    My fiance is going to try to match in whatever city I'm in next year. She's thinking pediatrics, maybe Med-Peds, or possibly OBGYN. I know CHOP in Philly's amazing for Peds. How are the residency opportunities in DC?

thanks!!!
    discuss.
    (but be nice!)

36. circulus vitios

7+ Year Member

You forgot The Commonwealth Medical College, Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, and the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine as well.

I never realized how many medical schools PA had.

37. merlinwall

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's Scranton... if you count them, may as well count Pitt, no?

38. circulus vitios

7+ Year Member

I didn't realize you were doing Philly only. :laugh:

39. tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Arlington is a very popular place for commuters to live. It is inexpensive relatively speaking. It has its own set of restaurants/bars, and the city is extremely accessible using the orange line - really the metro system is a piece of cake. Of the dozens of college students I know that ended up in DC, I'd guess 90% of them ended up in Arlington.

Gtown - Awesome.. BUT 1. too expensive 2. no metro access whatsoever, buses only to GW 3. very lively, more of a place to frequent rather than live while you're in study years. If you get a chance, stop by a place called "The Guards" right on the main drag. Classy place with delicious reasonably priced food. I worked there for awhile, and one time I served a table of first year GW med students! Happy bunch, not sure how long that lasted.. :laugh:

40. tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :):oops::p;):mad::rolleyes::cool:

:eek:

#40 tdittyx2x3, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  41. merlinwall

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yummmms... The NY Times answered my question about a Belgian Restaurant. Anyone been to Granville Moore's? This article was great, and makes me want to visit DC right now! http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/14/dining/14wash.html?pagewanted=2&8dpc&_r=1

"One of the most successful is Granville Moore's, where people line up on weekend nights to work through big, steaming bowls of large mussels simmered with bacon and wine, and dip perfect hot fries into curry mayonnaise. The place also has what might be the best Belgian beer list in the district.
    "

#41 merlinwall, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  42. hmm...

hmm... I yam what I yam
    7+ Year Member

the neurobiology and anatomy dept is 30s walk from the lecture halls. its on the second floor at queen lane. i did neuro research there during the summer sacing a lot of mice.

43. NotAndrew

NotAndrew Loves Jesus, America Too
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I like Arlington and Alexandria the housing is nice and it is close to DC. Fairfax Virginia is nice but it is a little farther away also less expensive but everything closes at 10:30. Georgetown is to expensive for anyone who is on a very fixed income to live unless GW has some sort of housing program.

DC is hard to navigate for people who are new here, there are a lot of traffic circles and most every street has a northwest, northeast, southwest, and southeast but they are not necessarily in the part of the city the name would suggest. The good thing is you will not need a car because it is a city and everything is right next to each other.

Parts of DC are really nice like the mall, georgetown, the areas surrounding the Capital and the White house and parts are terrible like Brentwood, or the Navy Yard. My Favorite place to eat in DC is Capital Q which has the best bqq ever. It is located in chinatown around the corner from the Verizon Center.