Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

drexel vs rush vs uic?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by blitzisthename, Dec 8, 2008.

1. blitzisthename

Pre-Medical
    I've had interviews at drexel, rush, and uic. Can anyone evaluate these based on your experiences regarding clinical, reputation, etc.? I've seen past threads but those were dated back to 2002 and all. I would appreciate a nice recent review of these schools. THANKS.

2. silverhorse84

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Some of the positives I saw at Drexel were:

-they have two different curricula and you can try one out for a week and switch if you don't like it.
    -there are 4 different clinics you can work in during your first 2 years
    -standardized pt, so you're learning about taking Hx and physicals and you start early (they said first few weeks of first year)
    -the hospital is open to you shadowing doctors and learning
    -they have clinical sites all over the state; you can choose to stay at one for the whole 3rd year or you can move around.
    -they have "concentrations" in humanities and women's health

I don't know much about reputation and I don't know anything about the other two schools. These are things that I heard on interview day, so if someone who attends Drexel reads this please correct me if I'm wrong! :oops:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    PIL can go to IFM but not the other way around I dont believe. If you stay too long you're screwed, though
    Yes you *can* but theyre so wildly popular its really hard to get time in (they fill up really really fast)

All schools have standardized patients. The small group sessions are seriously the worst

Meh
    Actually I think Allegheny (in Pittsburgh) is the only one you can stay at for everything.
    :barf:

Yeah that special little star you get for the humanities is really just you doing a whole lotta busy work.

4. saqrfaraj

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm thinking you can also do an entire year at Monmouth too. Don't quote me on that, though.

5. icarus8

icarus8 let's go to the beach
    5+ Year Member

IF you are instate at UIC, I think this ones a no brainer. If not, I still think it's between UIC and Rush. Location is a wash, since they're next door to each other - how did you feel about the schools?

6. BeardedRunner

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Although the students at Drexel and UIC are solid academically, it seemed like they were not very social. The students that I met at UMiami, Tulane, and Emory seemed a lot more happy and comfortable.

7. CarrieBad

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/

You can use this link to compare the three.

8. Jtrenier

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  9. classdodger

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    its was MCP, but DUCOM hasnt had that name in 10 years so i dont know how updated those surveys would be.

10. Jtrenier

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Agreed. They don't provide any dates, and they do not list the number of students polled. For ex. if 70 people were polled at Drexel vs. 13 at Rush then the stats could be misleading.

11. saqrfaraj

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Man, you must have been looking in all the wrong places! :laugh:

12. icarus8

icarus8 let's go to the beach
    5+ Year Member

Of all the schools I've interviewed at, Rush seemed to have the most social group of kids. I also know a few people that go there, and they seem to have the same feeling for their school/classmates.

13. VincentAdultman

VincentAdultman Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Um, OK.

You can spend all of third yr at AGH or Monmouth. Or you could when I was there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. blitzisthename

Pre-Medical
    sorry for the hiatus. my interview date for rush and uic got pushed back b/c of the snowstorm in december but i just finished them last week. overall, i enjoyed the chicago area a lot more than philadelphia so that puts uic and rush over drexel. in comparing uic vs rush, there are a lot of differences.

-uic is a lot bigger = a lot more resources, not only for medicine i.e. gym, library, etc.
    -uic is very old school with a low budget while rush is more technologically advanced with more funding coming in for new wings of the hospital, etc.
    -both students seemed generally happy and social. the tour guides were great for both schools.
    -rush faculty is definitely more open and excited to see new students.
    -rush interview was more fun because of the ease of conversation.

im a little torn...im thinking rush but uic is successful in matching residencies (like approx. 96% of seniors get their first three choices)...what to do...

15. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    UIC is known for producing excellent clinicians. Rush is known for its flowery commercials on TV. ;) :hungover:

16. genesis09

genesis09 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Rush students are allowed to use the UIC gyms, but they have to pay a special rate for it.
    The funding issue is hopefully getting better because of the new state funding structure for the University of Illinois health science schools. SIUe was getting a lot more money for their colleges than UIC. Now, the health collleges at UIC get money directly from the state.

17. Chuck's Right Foot

Chuck's Right Foot Class of 2013
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    It is also highly unlikely you will get the Chicago campus of UIC as of right now. I was accepted in December and was told that the Chicago campus was full. (A few still trickle in, but most are being put in other tracks).

18. msd1447

2+ Year Member

How accurate is that survey that carriebad posted above? Do ppl agree with those assessments?

19. blitzisthename

Pre-Medical
    yeah the reason i'd go to uic is to stay at the chicago campus...why would i want to be at urbana...

20. Chuck's Right Foot

Chuck's Right Foot Class of 2013
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Exactly. Just another factor to consider if/when you get in. I was highly dissapointed because last year December was way early enough to get Chicago.