Drexel vs. SUNY Downstate for a NY resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which medical school is better?

• Drexel University School of Medicine

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • SUNY Downstate College of Medicine

Votes: 79 67.5%
  • They're equally good schools.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I have no idea...

Votes: 10 8.5%

• Total voters

Kfire326

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a NY resident trying to decide between Drexel and Downstate. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Cmon people... need some help here. Trying to decide if I should bother with a Drexel interview or if I should just w/d. I've already been accepted at Downstate.

I would say they're equally good. Biggest draws for each school are different though: IMO, Drexel's biggest plus is its curriculum (IFM & PIL) while Downstate's biggest plus is its clinical training. I would say aside from that they're similar (both kinda in the ghetto too). If you're a NY resident, and you're not a millionaire, it's a no brainer.

Personally though, I liked the look and feel of Drexel a lot better.

Members don't see this ad :)
drexel is nicer but i'm not sure if it's 25k more a year nicer.

Sorry Drexel...not good enough for an NCAA bid...not good enough to beat SUNY either...ouch!...double the pain:D

if i had a choice i would choose downstate. it seems they are very similar schools, but downstate will be half the price. i think drexel takes the cake though as far as the year 1/2 educational experience. at drexel you will get better notes, have the lectures online, and have a nicer medical school building. i don't know much about year three and four training, but both seem comparable. both serve an urban population, and the setting i would imagine would be categorized as "gritty". but i don't really know!! as far as the cities go, both are really cool!

are you really going to make your decision based on what a couple people in this forum have to say? c'mon, figure it out for yourself, talk to people close to you, that actually know you, be real about this process. Decide what's best for you.

are you kidding me. go downstate.
exactly...LOL Drexel has changed names 80 times, is the worst school out of the philly schools and it has been under different ownership during all those different name changes, and they want to charge you 38k/year.

Why do people insist on picking schools, because the building looked prettier...

This is not even a question
Go to downstate!!!

Also agreed - regardless of the curriculum (is an extra few months of whatever really worth 100 grand to you?), the difference between IS Downstate tuition and Drexel tuition is huge. Take the extra 25k a year and find something better to do with it than pay off tuition bills!

Drexel is a good school and everything but its certainly not worth and extra 100 grand. I think you find it hard to find somebody that would shell out that extra money drexel. Its a good school but not at the level of reputation of nyu, einstein, or sinai where it may be worth the extra tuition for the name.
In terms of criticisms I have read. Downstate gives excellent notes to its students before every block. The lecture are in postcast format on itune. I do agree that drexel's facilities are nicer but you get what you pay for.

Best,
Dave

P.S. just go to downstate. you and your bank account will not regret it.

Drexel is a good school and everything but its certainly not worth and extra 100 grand. I think you find it hard to find somebody that would shell out that extra money drexel. Its a good school but not at the level of reputation of nyu, einstein, or sinai where it may be worth the extra tuition for the name.
In terms of criticisms I have read. Downstate gives excellent notes to its students before every block. The lecture are in postcast format on itune. I do agree that drexel's facilities are nicer but you get what you pay for.

Best,
Dave

P.S. just go to downstate. you and your bank account will not regret it.

If I were a NY resident, I don't even think I'd choose NYU or Einstein over Downstate. I think I'd only shell out that extra money for a school like Columbia (keeping in NY).
So yea, go to downstate, unless there is some confounding factor that would cause you to be completely miserable there for four years, in which case I would choose Drexel.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you really going to make your decision based on what a couple people in this forum have to say? c'mon, figure it out for yourself, talk to people close to you, that actually know you, be real about this process. Decide what's best for you.

I don't think I want to bother going to my Drexel interview. Even if I get into Drexel, I doubt I'll end up going there. I'm a NY res, and yes, it would take a lot to convince me to spend another 20k+ per year to go to Drexel, where I doubt I'll get better clinical exposure. Preclinical is not such a big factor for me...I'll be studying the same material at both schools, and I like Downstate's curriculum, anyway. (organ system blocks + a 'genes to cells' block to start you off). Clinical is much more important for me, and I think Downstate is the best place for that. A resident who did rotations in both Philadelphia and NYC said I won't see nearly as much there as I would here.

Moreover, speaking of 'prettier' buildings, on my interview day I overheard 3 faculty members talking about renovating the building, starting with the main entrance because "This place looks like an office building, not a medical school."

I'm just looking for feedback from other SDNers. I still have an interview appt., but I might drop that.

That's my opinion.

If I were a NY resident, I don't even think I'd choose NYU or Einstein over Downstate. I think I'd only shell out that extra money for a school like Columbia (keeping in NY).
So yea, go to downstate, unless there is some confounding factor that would cause you to be completely miserable there for four years, in which case I would choose Drexel.

I agree completely with you about choosing downstate over einstein or nyu. I fretted having to make such a decision but the decision was made for me because i didnt get an interview at nyu or einstein. I really do think downstate is awesome,and i am thrilled to go to downstate. its just that nyu or maybe einstein have this aura about them that developed in my head during my undergrad years at nyu undergrad. It really boils down to the name because nyu and einstein have this huge name recognition that downstate does not. The truth is that between downstate and einstein i would have chosen downstate. Between nyu and downstate it would have been a very tough call!

Best of luck,
Dave

P.S. down the road i am sure that this immature perspective on name recogntition will fade away.

The thing is, I feel weird giving up an interview because I think kind of a borderline applicant, and I wasn't prepared to be in a position to reject a med school. I guess it's a good thing, though. heh

exactly...LOL Drexel has changed names 80 times, is the worst school out of the philly schools and it has been under different ownership during all those different name changes, and they want to charge you 38k/year.

Why do people insist on picking schools, because the building looked prettier...

:eek:

No respect whatsoever... We'll just have to go and win the NIT!

I'm not going to go into this debate because I believe other people have already crossed the line. :thumbdown:

We'll see who ends up in the residency they want to get into... then we could get to some talking :smuggrin:

I don't think I want to bother going to my Drexel interview. Even if I get into Drexel, I doubt I'll end up going there. I'm a NY res, and yes, it would take a lot to convince me to spend another 20k+ per year to go to Drexel, where I doubt I'll get better clinical exposure. Preclinical is not such a big factor for me...I'll be studying the same material at both schools, and I like Downstate's curriculum, anyway. (organ system blocks + a 'genes to cells' block to start you off). Clinical is much more important for me, and I think Downstate is the best place for that. A resident who did rotations in both Philadelphia and NYC said I won't see nearly as much there as I would here.

Moreover, speaking of 'prettier' buildings, on my interview day I overheard 3 faculty members talking about renovating the building, starting with the main entrance because "This place looks like an office building, not a medical school."

I'm just looking for feedback from other SDNers. I still have an interview appt., but I might drop that.

That's my opinion.

When did this person get their clinical experience in Philly? Before or after the huge spike in violence/poverty over the past couple of years?

Also, clinical experience at Drexel is 2 full months during the first year. IFM it is scattered throughout but PIL has 2 full months of clinical at the end of first year... it sounded like you were looking for clinical experience?

i just wrote a half page defense of my post, as i feel that a lot of the comments are directed at me:(, but alas i pressed the up key and lost the web page. so i don't have the energy to rewrite all of it.

anyhow, i heard from downstate today and got in:D . downstate was my top choice, and i am so psyched, but i still wouldn't say that it is a better school than drexel, just that it is better for me! maybe later i'll respond to those of you that are crapping all over drexel, write now just gunna celebrate and not get into it with you all.

i just wrote a half page defense of my post, as i feel that a lot of the comments are directed at me:(, but alas i pressed the up key and lost the web page. so i don't have the energy to rewrite all of it.

anyhow, i heard from downstate today and got in:D . downstate was my top choice, and i am so psyched, but i still wouldn't say that it is a better school than drexel, just that it is better for me! maybe later i'll respond to those of you that are crapping all over drexel, write now just gunna celebrate and not get into it with you all.

Congrats! Maybe I'll see you there. Or maybe we'll end up being roommates? lol. That'd be so weird if I ended up getting an SDNer as my roommate.

When did this person get their clinical experience in Philly? Before or after the huge spike in violence/poverty over the past couple of years?

Also, clinical experience at Drexel is 2 full months during the first year. IFM it is scattered throughout but PIL has 2 full months of clinical at the end of first year... it sounded like you were looking for clinical experience?

This person got their clinical experience in philly and 2-3 years ago, and is now a resident in nyc.

Thanks for all your help, guys. I decided to w/d from drexel. I freed up a 3/30 interview slot.

Ressurecting this one a little bit because I'm now facing the same choice having just been accepted to both... I've done a little of my own analysis and this is what I've got so far - but I'm still really, really torn between the two...

Drexel has good clinical exposure, nice facilities, very intriguing symptom-based curriculum (i'm not interested in PIL), live in surrounding neighborhood (house), large class, can bring a car, and I personally got a great feeling from the students/school as a whole while visiting... but, it's a lot more money and the hospital is half an hour away by shuttle.

Downstate has great clinical exposure, good matchlist, hospital attached/next door, a good match list and is a lot cheaper... but, the facilities struck me as a bit run down, the area is not the best, can't bring cars, and basically everyone lives in the dorms (which have RAs).

If I said anything in here that anyone disagrees with and feels like I'm attacking a school, I really don't mean to - this is just my opinion of each school and what I'm weighing in my decision. I know that most people will just tell me that it's not worth the extra $100k and they may well be right, but my gut is to go with drexel and I guess that is what is making this so tough. Thanks in advance guys.

Another thing to consider (and this may not matter much, certainly not an expert), is where you ultimatly want to practice medicine.

For example if you want to be in the NY Metro area, Downstate may help because of their affiliations with hospitals and physicians in the area.

All that aside, I would go with Downstate because of the tuition, location (you are in NYC!), and for the clinical background.

Just my two cents, I am sure lots of people will disagree with me :D

Best of luck with your decision, and congrats on being in this position!

Another thing to consider (and this may not matter much, certainly not an expert), is where you ultimatly want to practice medicine.

For example if you want to be in the NY Metro area, Downstate may help because of their affiliations with hospitals and physicians in the area...

so true. I'm pretty sure I'll be practicing in one of the 5 boroughs. Downstate will give me exposure to the hospitals I may want to look into for residency, is cheaper, and going there will definitely break me into urban life.

I'd go to Downstate because of the exposure you can get to the NYC hospitals and the huge variety of patients. I mean look at their newest match list, it's sick.

The match list and residency placement in nyc are definately big factors that are making me now lean towards Downstate (in addition to the obvious money factor). Im going back to shadow a student for a day to get a better feeling for downstate and then gonna try to set up a similar thing with drexel. Ultimately though, unless I get other acceptances, I think I'll wind up at Downstate. Thanks for the feedback guys.

The match list and residency placement in nyc are definately big factors that are making me now lean towards Downstate (in addition to the obvious money factor). Im going back to shadow a student for a day to get a better feeling for downstate and then gonna try to set up a similar thing with drexel. Ultimately though, unless I get other acceptances, I think I'll wind up at Downstate. Thanks for the feedback guys.

lol, hijacking my thread? congrats. I'll most likely be seeing you at downstate next year. The match list pretty much clinched it for me, too.

such ignorant overstatements.. whats your problem dude? :thumbdown:

actually..after i wrote that i realized that i dont really care - have a nice life