Drexel vs. UVM (Connecticut)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctordogg21

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was planning on attending Drexel, accepted recently off the waitlist at UVM for the CT campus.

Drexel
Pros
  • Closer to family, friends - specifically being able to live with my partner for the majority of the time **this is really important to me
  • Urban environment (far prefer cities)
  • Milder winters

Cons
  • Higher COA by about 30k (lucky to have financial support from parents, this is not a big factor)
  • More scatted clinical rotations/unknowns with clinical rotations **this worries me the most
  • Lots of negativity online about Drexel online though most students I have reached out to have for the most part seemed happy?

UVM
Pros
  • Higher ranking (not sure how much this matters?)
  • Rotations are at one of two hospitals, possibly higher quality from what I have gathered
  • Lower COA
  • Have heard students really love UVM

Cons
  • Smaller town
  • Winter weather makes me sad - I grew up on the east coast and have spent time in Philadelphia and Burlington - the weather difference was big to me
  • Far from friends and family

Summary: I'm heavily leaning towards Drexel. I am a big family/friends person and lean heavily on my support system. I have absolutely no clue what specialty I want but am not currently inclined towards anything competitive (and don't see that changing). I'm older and I don't feel the need to match to 'the best' programs - I care a lot more about program lifestyle and location. At the same time, I want the best education and I want to be sure that I'm not making a big mistake here. I don't feel like I know enough about the residency match to know if I'm screwing myself over or severely limiting my options! Appreciate any opinions :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would go drexel unless there is a way to get into Burlington VT campus (not sure how it works)

Reactions: 1 users