1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Drexel vs. UVM vs. VCU vs. SUNY Downstate

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bawer234, May 16, 2008.

1. bawer234

bawer234 ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Where would you prefer to study if tuition were not a factor? These are my top four picks. I know which schools I like the best but I was hoping I could get some outsiders' input.

Consider this based on OOS residency for all 4 schools. Where would you like to go and why?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    UVM hands down. I'm a Californian who came very close to turning down a UC to attend UVM WITHOUT any kind of scholarship.

UVM is one of the great underappreciated medical schools. Best curriculum I've seen, great faculty, good student body, great town, good politics, etc. The only downside is the tuition. It's obscenely expensive.

But finances aside, I'd go with UVM. But if one's significantly cheaper, I'd go with that school.

4. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You are not going to go wrong with any of those schools. Which did you feel most comfortable w/? Are there at least one or 2 you could cut off that list?

The school is going to make very little difference in your ultimate destination so you should pick based on which gave you the best impression, which you feel you fit best with, which curriculum you like, which location serves you best (are you a big city or a rural kinda guy) and of course money.

I would pick VCU but I am a bit biased (I go there)

Some perks at VCU:
    Good basic science didactics w/ a solid foundation of clinical medicine the first 2 years

phenomenal board review- Dr Costanzo (the one and only) meets with each student and sets up a day by day schedule for your boards.

Huge hospital- soon to be 1000 beds, level 1 trauma, NCI cancer center.

Well respected clinicals

5. loganhayes

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Based on their program/reputation alone, here is the rank:
    1. UVM
    2. Downstate/VCU (for me, however, 2. Downstate, 3. VCU).
    3. Drexel (I would not go to Drexel even if I got a full scholarship and a monthly stipend).

6. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Any particular reason for this?

7. bawer234

bawer234 ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ouch..why the strong oppinion against Drexel? I know that UVM has an incredible primary care reputation but what is your reason for rankings of VCU, Downstate, and Drexel?

8. mmmcat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    VCU all the way :thumbup:

9. loganhayes

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have nothing against Downstate and VCU. They are just my personal preference. As for Downstate, it is because of its location and NY network (it matters if you intend to be in NY). VCU is great but I don't see myself staying there for residency and beyond.

For Drexel, well... the admin staff alone was rude. Based on my experience, if the admin staff is not happy with their job, let alone the people up the food chain. I do care about this, especially if I were going to spend 30-40K/year for tuition alone. Drexel does not really have a national reputation (overall). People in PA and in the east coast probably know, but the rest of the country or the world probably has never heard of it. When I mentioned Drexel just to test it out, people shrugged "What's that?" The same reaction I got when I mentioned Loma Linda or Rosalind Franklin. Some people probably don't care about this, but I sort of do. Also, Drexel seems to be a money-oriented institution. And my gut feeling says that I really shouldn't go to Drexel. But heck, if Drexel (or LL, RF, etc) is the only acceptance you get, by all means, go there. If it far better than Caribbean MD schools.

10. cleothecat

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am not sure how RFU entered this discussion, except to porve that some people's prejudices (often based on ignorance) comes to the surface.

Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University has a long reputation of producing students who do well on their boards, get placed in solid residencies, and go on to become respected physicians.

For all those physician wannabees who missed out on the opportunity to become a physician by listenining to rumors and by applying only to the "top 10", I suggest doing your own research and to do less relying on info from SDN.

11. I used to tell my friends to go on SDN for advice, but i've really cut back on that. The whole "this or that particular fully accredited u.s. allopathic school is not good enough" atmosphere is way too much.

12. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The bold made me laugh, "Drexel, whats that?"... "It's another planet, wanna come?"

Why is Drexel a "money-oriented institution?" Don't all medical schools need money?

So in considering medical schools to train you
    1) Judge a school by its admissions staff
    2) Don't judge a school by its academic opportunities, only by how much of a pretentious snob it allows you to be.

Good advice :thumbup:

13. bawer234

bawer234 ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate the information and opinions.

NO OFFENSE!!!! But I dont want this thread to turn into a petty squable so please keep comments civil. Thanks and keep 'em comin...:thumbup:

14. Brown8472

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Money aside I would go Drexel. But it's tough to ignore the fact that you become in-state @ SUNY after a year!!