Drexel vs VCU/MCV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mednomad

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey SDNers,

Ive got a decision to make and need your input. Im trying to decide between these two places and am having trouble deciding which one.

I liked both places in my interview in terms of faculty, courses, etc.

I wannna know how you rate these two in terms of reputation, res. matches, etc?

I want to settle in the Northeast for the future, so Im reluctant on MCV in that area.

But, anyone else wanna add anything in comparing these two?

Members don't see this ad.

I am struggling with the exact same decision, although my choice will be made easier if I get off some waitlists.

Here are my thougths. I absolutely loved mcv. I thought that the students were great and the clinical training seemed outstanding. I think that the school is very solid and provides an excellent education. I especially liked the early clinical training in the first two years. I stayed with a second year student during my interview and was very impressed with what she had to say about the school. The other students I met seemed really nice, motivated, and down to earth. The only thing that I'm not so psyched about is Richmond. I think that there is plenty to do there, but I feel that the area is a bit conservative for me. I've lived in really big cities, so I'm not so sure I'm ready for Richmond.

As for Drexel, I liked it a lot too. I thought the curriculum seemed great and the faculty was very supportive. I would also love to be in Philly (much more so than Richmond). However, the students that I met were not very impressive. They were mostly second years and seemed somewhat bitter and disenchanted with the school. I am trying really hard not to judge the school based on these students alone. The other thing that concerned me was the clinical training during the first two years. Drexel does not seem to be as closely associated with a teaching hospital like Mcv. And with the closing of MCP Hospital, I am a bit worried.

This choice seems really difficult. I think either school will provide a good education. Although I do think that Mcv is a bit more stable and established, I also think that Drexel has a lot to offer too. I am trying to coordinate my schooling with my boyfriend who is applying to grad school. He is waiting on Penn and has been accepted to VCU already. This makes the decision even tougher!

Anybody have other thoughts/impressions/opinions/advice???

MCV hands down!!! You will get a great education at MCV. MCV is a very solid school school and Richmond is a pretty fun city. It has more than enough to do for any medical student. MCV will also offer numerous research opportunities for anyone interested following M1 year. Sure Phili is nice but in terms of schools, MCV all the way.

ECU Med 07

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I don't really understand why this decision is a struggle, especially since you're not getting a tuition break at either school. It's a no-brainer. VCU/MCV all the way unless you have some really, really pressing reason to stay in Philly. The rep's of these two schools are not comparable, IMO.

hey flash,

I havent really paid attention to rankings/reputation. I picked which schools to apply to based on ease of getting in, location, etc.

I really didnt know MCV has a better rep than Drexel. Could you clarify this a bit as it pertains to residency matches, etc?

Thanks for your efforts.

Originally posted by devils143
hey flash,

I havent really paid attention to rankings/reputation. I picked which schools to apply to based on ease of getting in, location, etc.

I really didnt know MCV has a better rep than Drexel. Could you clarify this a bit as it pertains to residency matches, etc?

Thanks for your efforts.

You must remember that all accredited med schools are good schools. That being said, MCV has nearly half the acceptance rate of Drexel, a higher matriculation rate, and is actually ranked by US News. Drexel isn't included in the rankings, so I can't speak for residency director ratings, because none were submitted for Drexel. All of these factors speak for the relative rep of a school.

Good luck with your decision.

I actually would rather go to Drexel than VCU. II'd pick Drexel because of it's PIL program and I think I'd rather live in Philly instead of Virginia (I believe my girlfriend does too...). I really liked VCU, but the one thing that did really bother me was the parking situation. I'm probably in the minority because VCU does have a better rep by far, but I'm not interested in the super-competitive residencies, so I don't know if it would hurt me too much.
Unfortunately, I'm on Drexel's waitlist, and I'm waiting to hear from VCU on the 29th. So it may turn out that I don't have a choice one way or another. =\

Two Words from VCU: Bottoms Up.

This is seriously the best pizza in the world. I am from Richmond, and can tell you the city is on the way up. If you have been following the politics of the city, the mayor bill recently passed the state senate for an AT LARGE vote rather than appointment. This is believed to help the city. Also, the city is going to undergo some huge renovation downtown. For those who love history, you can't beat Richmond. I think Virginia has more history than any other state, including NY, MA and PA.

The area surrounding the city can be conservative, but don't think the city is at all. The city is quite the democrat base. In fact, our liberal lieutenant governor is a former Richmond delegate. We also have a Democratic Governor. Keep in mind that there is a stark difference between Mark Warner (our gov) and any MA democrat.

From what I've heard, people are not happy at MCP. The hospital closing is ominous at best.

I think exposing yourself to a different environment can be helpful too. I am a democrat, but a Southern Democrat. There is just something different about growing up in the Commonwealth. It's more conservative than NYC absolutely, but that may not be such a bad thing ...

Philly is a better cityh from a "things to do" standpoint. Richmond is a better city from a "winter weather" standpoint although the heat in the summer is insane with the Virginia humidity.

I'd pick MCV over MCP any day. I don't think this one should be a struggle.

CCW

Speaking of Virginia having loads of history....
Was anyone else kinda weirded out by the seeming obsession that Virginia has with the civil war?

Originally posted by SpiffyJWC
Speaking of Virginia having loads of history....
Was anyone else kinda weirded out by the seeming obsession that Virginia has with the civil war?

The Civil War is as integral to the history of the United States as the signing of the Declarlation of Independence. Virginia isn't obsessed with the Civil War, but the majority of the war did take place in the state. Of course everything should be done to preserve the battlefields and landmarks as Mass does for the Freedom Trail. The history of this country belongs to everyone, equally. I was just suggesting that for those who love history, be it anything from Jamestown to the numerous battlefields and landmarks around the state, Va is a great place to be. Don't get me wrong, every state, has an incredibly rich and vital contribution to make to the US' history. But growing up in Richmond, I just appreciated what was around me.

CCW

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
Most of the civil war took place in Virginia. What is your point?

CCW

Nothing really. I just got the feeling at times that I was transported into a history textbook that focused on the civil war. I guess I didn't know that it was a civil war tourist hotspot!

Any other opinions/impressions of these two schools?

Originally posted by SpiffyJWC
Nothing really. I just got the feeling at times that I was transported into a history textbook that focused on the civil war. I guess I didn't know that it was a civil war tourist hotspot!

There is a lot that goes on to preserve that history. My sister lives in a house in Richmond where she has specific historical zoning laws. They are not allowed to change certain aspects of the outside of their house and must check to see if certain paint colors and roofing materials are acceptable for use. I am not really a history buff, so it all seems silly to me, but people like my father tend to get a kick out of that stuff.

~AS1~

anyone else?

is it really that much of a no-brainer?