Drexel (waiting decision) (MD) vs. Western COMP-Pomona (DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wegotthisyall

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm still waiting to hear back post-interview from Drexel, whereas I have been accepted to Western. Both schools seem similar in terms of financial cost of attendance so I didn't include that in my list of Pros/Cons. I am leaning towards Drexel if I am lucky enough to be accepted, however, due to COVID19 I interviewed virtually there and was not able to see the campus. Any thoughts or insights would be much appreciated!

Drexel

Pro’s:
established MD program
went to college on the east coast-have some friends over there
flipped curriculum
good residency match list
have heard that the environment is very collaborative

Con’s:
haven’t seen the campus since I interviewed virtually
will be farther away from family/home in CA
seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding Drexel and the loss of their main teaching hospital

Western COMP

Pro’s:
in CA, will be closer to family (although I am from NorCal, so still won't be super close)
loved the campus and atmosphere at my interview
well-regarded DO program

Con’s:
DO bias
less impressive residency match list (not bad but not as good as Drexel)

Members don't see this ad.

Generally you should take any US MD acceptance over a DO acceptance unless you have a specific reason to go DO (you're really into OMM or something like that). If you're interested in competitive specialties, the DO bias can be very difficult to overcome. Of the surgical subspecialties (excluding ortho which is slightly easier as a DO), Western had no neurosurgery, no urology, one ENT, and 3 ophtho. Is there any chance you might be interested in these specialties?

Reactions: 1 users
Generally you should take any US MD acceptance over a DO acceptance unless you have a specific reason to go DO (you're really into OMM or something like that). If you're interested in competitive specialties, the DO bias can be very difficult to overcome. Of the surgical subspecialties (excluding ortho which is slightly easier as a DO), Western had no neurosurgery, no urology, one ENT, and 3 ophtho. Is there any chance you might be interested in these specialties?
Thanks for the input, all good points. As for specialties, at this point I don’t really have my heart set on anything and am trying to keep an open mind. I seem slightly pulled towards primary care specialties like family med or OBGYN. You’re right, I should probably choose the MD if I get in, in case I suddenly find that I want to do a competitive specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input, all good points. As for specialties, at this point I don’t really have my heart set on anything and am trying to keep an open mind. I seem slightly pulled towards primary care specialties like family med or OBGYN. You’re right, I should probably choose the MD if I get in, in case I suddenly find that I want to do a competitive specialty.
That makes sense. Even for those specialties, MD will give you an advantage for more prestigious/more desirable residencies, depending on what you're looking for, so it makes the most sense to switch if you do get into Drexel, but Western is definitely a good alternative even if you don't get in!

Reactions: 1 user