1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Drinking too much water and bathroom breaks?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by SephirothXR, Aug 20, 2011.

1. SephirothXR

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For those who have taken the test, are you allowed to bring a water bottle into the testroom? I drank quite a bit of water during a practice MCAT during the PS section and then had to pause the Verbal briefly (I know I can't do this during the real thing, but it was bad :p ). I have a 1 PM test so I'll probably do more drinking in the morning before so I won't be thirsty but do you guys have any tips on the consumption of water during the test (drink only a little at a time so you don't get too distracted if you have to go badly during a future section)?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. muhali3

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you can bring nothing into the test room except ear plugs. nothing.

4. PingPongPro

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  5. SephirothXR

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I need less of this, not more, otherwise I'll really be needing to go :p

6. Tots

Tots c/o 2018
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  7. PingPongPro

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I believe ADH promotes water reabsorption, hence, you would need to urinate less often. (more concentrated urine though)

8. BeancheBlanco

2+ Year Member

but water reabsorption increases blood pressure, which increases the glomerular filtration rate.

9. hookgrip

hookgrip ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Or aldosterone ;)

10. SephirothXR

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks :/. I did indeed mix it up. I think I was thinking of what happens when one consumes alcohol and what ADH does in that case (shuts off I think, so you keep water but it's only b/c there's less albumim in the blood, reducing osmotic pressure so the water is not in the places (less water in the blood) that need them. That's probably what confused me). So yes, I need more ADH

#9 SephirothXR, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  11. Aromatic Amine

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i am pretty sure from experience that if ADH shuts off while alcohol consumption, you DO NOT keep the water lol.:confused:

12. SephirothXR

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well I now know what happens if I get a passage on alcohol and hormones on the MCAT =P. I probably read that explanation months ago, so yea it's probably correct that it just leaves the body (I thought that some of the water would just stay away from the blood, not necessarily always being excreted, but I guess most of it is just excreted)

13. Tots

Tots c/o 2018
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Now I'm confused :confused:

14. Aromatic Amine

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    +2 :confused::confused:

i think what he means to say is that you end up peeing more than usual, which leads to one SMASHING headache the next morning lol

15. muhali3

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Alcohol competitively inhibits ADH. So the water your bloodstream should have reabsorbed is now in the toilet.

16. Aromatic Amine

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yeah thats what i thought okay. cool. :thumbup:

17. muhali3

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yeah and you're right. the headache comes from the increased osmotic pressure of the blood, which causes neurons to shrivel up.

18. SephirothXR

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    More osmotic pressure? I thought alcohol affects the liver, causing less albumin [secreted from the liver], the osmoregulatry protein, in the blood, so there is less water in the blood then b/c there's less osmotic pressure in the blood. What I missing here?

19. R4lst0nya

I wouldn't recommend drinking a lot of water during your break. Enough to keep you from cotton mouth but you don't want to be distracted counting down the seconds until you can go to the bathroom.

Also, I wouldn't recommend a lot of coffee or chugging an energy drink for the same reason.

20. NinjaMed

2+ Year Member

I took about 500mL of water for the entire day until after the test was complete.

You can try putting two to three tablets of dextrosol and some common table salt in the water bottle, then shake it up.

Take some caffeine, but not too much, you will already be a little wired from taking this very important test.

Take the caffeine before you start the MCAT, and the second bottle before you start the Writing Sample. Drink water before Verbal Reasoning and before Biological Sciences.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. muhali3

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hmm...well i mean increased osmotic pressure since dehydration due to water loss in the urine increases the osmolarity of the blood. i don't know how much of an effect the decreased albumin has.

22. SephirothXR

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That makes sense, I think. The water goes away no matter what so even though there is less of the osmoregulatory protein there is still high osmolarity b/c of less water. If you drink a lot of alcohol and your face turns red, I thought it had to do with the fact that your blood vessels dilate, maybe because the water is now outside (since it's dilating) the tissues that need them. But then you lose the water eventually anyways and that's where your cells shrivel. I will laugh if this comes up as my MCAT passage.

23. Aromatic Amine

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    if this is an mcat passage, i will give you a 100 bucks lol

24. erure

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I noticed that I went to the bathroom during every break and drank some water afterwards too (in the break room, not the testing room of course). If you really had to go during the section, you could go, but you'd probably be taking at least 5 minutes out of your testing time since you have to get out your ID, do your fingerprint, sign out, go to the bathroom, come back, flip out your pockets, get checked to see if you have anything with a metal detector, show your ID, do your fingerprint, and sign in.

25. KindofBlue

KindofBlue Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The level of albumin will indeed affect the osmolarity of the blood, but the causes that affect albumin levels are usually not consumption of alcohol.

"Hypoalbuminemia can be caused by various conditions, including nephrotic syndrome, hepatic cirrhosis, heart failure, and malnutrition; however, most cases of hypoalbuminemia are caused by acute and chronic inflammatory responses."
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/166724-overview

I think you were thinking of liver cirrhosis, which can be caused by chronic alcoholism, but at least in the scope of what we're supposed to know, alcohol mainly affects ADH sensitivity of the collecting ducts in the kidneys to increase urination and cause loss of water, which in turn increases the concentration of blood (increased osmolarity).

Oh, and I believe your face does turn red when alcohol is consumed due to vessel dilation, but water wouldn't be lost to the tissue, since the vessels aren't really leaky (normally this is caused by an immune response), but just dilated, which will just cause more blood to flow through.

#24 KindofBlue, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011