Driving from Asheville NC to Quillen in Tennessee, how long will it take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aamna0601

zygote.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am flying into Asheville NC for an interview at Quillen in Tennesse because it is the only flight I can catch from Los Angeles after my classes that will arrive in the area before 11 am the next morning. My flight arrives Asheville NC at 8:40 am and my interview starts at 10 : 00 am....will I be cutting it too close if I get a rental car and drive? The websites say 1 hour without traffic, but is there a lot of traffic on the 26 W at 9 am? I would appreciate any help because I'm Californian and not familiar with the area. Thanks all :love:

Members don't see this ad.

I am flying into Asheville NC for an interview at Quillen in Tennesse because it is the only flight I can catch from Los Angeles after my classes that will arrive in the area before 11 am the next morning. My flight arrives Asheville NC at 8:40 am and my interview starts at 10 : 00 am....will I be cutting it too close if I get a rental car and drive? The websites say 1 hour without traffic, but is there a lot of traffic on the 26 W at 9 am? I would appreciate any help because I'm Californian and not familiar with the area. Thanks all :love:

You should always be prepared for the worst. I remember driving through the region, and the roads are small, so you might get stuck in traffic... or the roads might be clear and you can coast the highway at 100 mph... It all depends. You could possibly call the school. Maybe they might know!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a flight scheduled to arrive an hour and twenty minutes before your scheduled interview, and an hour drive time in between. Yes! You will be cutting it close, even if traffic is clear.

You can't depend on a plane to arrive exactly on time. You have to stop by and pick up the rental car. Once you find the school, you have to find parking, and then find where the interview is being held You want to have yourself calm and pulled together, but you're more likely to be stressed over making that trip. That's also a mountain area with heavy truck traffic. Unless you are accustomed to driving on those types of roads, it might be an extra stressful drive.

I'm just saying that even if traffic conditions are perfect, I think your timetable is cutting it too close.

Ask for a later interview time. Be sure to have your cell phone and the number of the admissions office handy when you see how late you will be...because you will be late.

Really, this is foolish to schedule yourself this tightly.

I'd definately try to get a different time. Like Humid said, even if all things went well you'd be hard pressed to make it there in any kind of sane state and on time :scared:

I'm from the region and there is absolutely no way you will make it on time if your flight arrives 1 hour and 20 minutes before your interview. You have to take into account the time it takes to deboard and get to the car rental kiosk and get the car. Book an earlier flight or change your interview day.

Unless you've got an important quiz/test, I'd probably skip my classes altogether and get an earliar flight the day before. Either that, or reschedule your flight and interview for another day.

I go to school here (ETSU) and while you definitely can get to Johnson City from Asheville in an hour, you have to think about getting luggage and all that from the airport. You will be cutting it pretty close, but what passes for traffic here is more than 6 cars on the road, so that shouldn't be an issue. You do have to drive across the mountains though, so that may be weird for you if you have an issue with constant curves. Also parking should take ~5 minutes, as should your walk to the interview place. Of course you shouldn't discount the difficulty of orienting to a new place when you are running behind. Good luck.

I agree with what has been said here. I am from the region (actually took my MCAT in Ashville) and I can say without a doubt that I-26 is one of the curviest (is that a word?) roads around, and its an interstate!! Plus, if you've never been to the Quillen campus before it might take you a few minutes to orient yourself to where you are going. 10:00 AM is only when the day starts. I would suggest calling them and letting them know your situation. You probably aren't going to miss much in the first 20 minutes of the day, but only if they know in advance that you will be late.