Driving from oregon to virginia for orientation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillpremed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
with a 130K honda accord, no previous accidents, 2 belt changes, 1 water pump change, 1 immiment oil change, what precautions do you think i should take? what planning strategies do you have?
ill be getting a little checkup before my trip

ill be driviing in the beginning of aug for about 5 days or so. its about 3k miles. ill check out camp sites on the yahoo maps so i can camp for cheap, get AAA.
thank you for the input! it would be great to get a lot of diff viewpoints, personal experience, car expertise, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

stillpremed said:
with a 130K honda accord, no previous accidents, 2 belt changes, 1 water pump change, 1 immiment oil change, what precautions do you think i should take? what planning strategies do you have?

ill be driviing in the beginning of aug for about 5 days or so. its about 3k miles. ill check out camp sites on the yahoo maps so i can camp for cheap, get AAA.
thank you for the input! it would be great to get a lot of diff viewpoints, personal experience, car expertise, etc...

One of my friends just did a cross country trip from Utica NY to San Diego. On his way from where he was stationed in RI to Utica, the transmission on his 130k mile van blew (it was over-loaded with his stuff...everything he owned). It was an abused ford minivan, so I dont place much reliability in it.

Accords tend to last forever, so I wouldnt worry about it too much. I'd go to a Honda dealer (a little bit more expensive) and have a very thorough inspection done on the car.

Hopefully you'll be fine there, but as a good rule of thumb I wouldnt push the car too much. For example, dont load the car down tooo much with your stuff (your antique anvils, fireproof solid steel walk-in gun safe, and 1500 pound uncle lou should all stay at home or be shipped) and then try to make it through the rockies at 85 miles an hour. Keep it around the speed limit and drive conservatively up hills. Pretend the car is a 70 year old lady with osteoporosis trying to go up a set of stairs, dont push her too much or she'll fall and break a hip. AAA is a good idea too, just in case. They'll also help you out with trip planning for campgrounds and the fastest/safest route for not killing your car. Other than that, good luck!

Take a train/bus/plane

Members don't see this ad :)
stillpremed said:

My bf and I drove from Seattle to Virginia earlier this month (then I flew back to seattle). We also took about 5 days. We drove pretty much all day each day but had a couple of 1/2 days off to look around (saw a fireworks show 3rd of july at Mt. Rushmore). It was awesome! A beautiful drive. What is your route? We drove I-90 most of the way until Indiana? I think... then headed south.

I have driven cross country (georgia - california) twice, and it was a BLAST. I would recommend the following. First - make sure you have cruise control. Second, bring a tent an inflatable air mattress and a comfy pillow. Third, take as many days to do it as you can - you would be amazed at how fun and easy it can be to get sidetracked exploring areas of other states. Fourth, Howard Johnsons and Cracker Barrell both have deals where you check out a book on tape and then listen to it, and return it at the next HoJos down the road. Books on tape make the drive go MUCH faster. Take lots of breaks and stretch.

I am jealous - you are gonna have a blast!

stillpremed said:

haha fun!

i drove from oregon to NJ,

tho i stayed at a hotel.

I didnt really make it a scenic route, so it took me about 3 and a haalf days to get to NJ

Where in OR are leaving from? took I-5 north towards portland, then took the 1-84 east route, and then I-80 east. Its pretty strightforward, i was on cruise control for most of the way. As for your car, i would reccoment going to a honda dealer (like another person suggested) , even tho it maybe a little more expensive. It was in the summer too! so the weather was nice.

I drive an Accord and they're great cars for cross-country trips. The biggest thing when the milage is that high is to ensure that the timing belt has been changed in the last 50000 miles or so. I think Honda recommends that you change it at 100k, but I don't remember exactly. If it hasn't been changed, definitely have it done before you leave. If the timing belt breaks, the car is undrivable, unfixable, and unsellable. Other than that, make sure your tires are good, your oil is clean and isn't leaking, and that you tell her how much you love her.

stillpremed said:

Hi there,
If you car in in good condition, you should have no problems. You can go to a car care place and tell them that you are going on a cross country trip and have everything especially the radiator checked. You may need a flush and refill to prevent boil over.

If you have kept your Honda in good condition, changed the oil, kept radiator in good condition, you should not have any problems. Make sure that you have a cell phone handy that works well and that you know where you are. You can purchase a personal GPS and really know your location.

Have fun. Virginia is awesome too.
njbmd :D :D :D

Check your tire pressure in the mornings (when the tires are cool). I got lazy about that and got the best flat ever, 3am in the middle of nowhere South Dakota (as opposted to South Dakota's thriving metropolises).

I'd also consider if you don't have it already, getting a Verizon cell phone (maybe a pay as you go kind of thing)- they seem to have the best service coverage in the most random places. But, most major highways have all services.

Wow that's a long trip. i'd bring family or a friend along. it's a long trip to do alone and could lead to sleepiness if it becomes too mundane. Make sure you are well rested; I've had some serious problems fallinbg asleep at the wheel and I know how easy it is to start hallucinating if the road is redundant and you are tired.

thanks for all your replies, guys! ill probably be taking the 1-90 route, in a span of 6 days or so for sidetracking purposes. thanks for the the great input.

Ive gone on long road trips and I would get a new air filter and some TECHRON injector cleaner (this is the best injector cleaner out there). This will give you better gas milage. Tire pressure will also give you the best fuel milage. Make sure you will it to FACTORY specs (usually on inside of door jam) not the tire RATED psi. That is the MAX psi. Good luck!

I drove from the west coast to the midwest for medical school. I took a UHaul and towed my car. It took 3 1/2 days, and I enjoyed to drive.

One of my classmates' car broke down in Oklahoma. It took an extra 2 days to get to town as he needed repairs.

I would definitely get a cell phone before making a long drive. If you have problems in the middle of the night, it is much easier to make a phone call than walk 50-100 miles to the nearest town.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=20049323