driving from pitt to philly...how long?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chintu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two back to back interviews at UPITT followed by drexel the next day. I know this probably wasn't the best idea, but it was the only way I could knock both off in one visit to PA. Anyone know about how long it takes to drive from pitt to philly? I looked up in expedia, it said 5 hrs; however, someone i know said it may take as long as 8 hrs considering i'll be driving on friday night, probably in snow, in hilly area of pitt. Anyway, if you guys have any info. or advice , I would appreciate it.

Thanks
chintu

Members don't see this ad.

It usually takes 4.5-5 hours...but if its snowing it will take longer, esp in the allegheny mountains. def take the turnpike (76), they clear it pretty quickly. but there have been times when I have been driving between the two cities (I am from PA) that its been snowing and its horrible. but if you're driving through the night, then you've got (almost) as much time as you need. leave pittsburgh as soon as you can after your interviews, I guess I'd say. good luck!

Be careful of speeding. The turnpike runs through lots of big hills and has lots of turns, all the better for the many speed traps laid out by the highway patrol. Got a $160 speeding ticket last October. +pissed+

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, it's about 5-6 hours. Just make sure you get a good night sleep before that. Pitt interview starts at 8, and runs till about 3:30. I know I was exhausted by the end of it. Driving to Philly after that is no picnic.
On the bright side, you won't make it to Philly till at least 9pm. Traffic should be OK by then.
Good luck.

Originally posted by oldtimer
Be careful of speeding. The turnpike runs through lots of big hills and has lots of turns, all the better for the many speed traps laid out by the highway patrol. Got a $160 speeding ticket last October. +pissed+

$192 (the fine was only $93) damn associated fees +pissed+ +pissed+

Whoever said 8 hours, did they visit New York city too?

5 Hours is a conservative estimate and you should not run into any traffic problems, until you are very close to Philly, if at all. Its a pretty smooth ride, just watch the curves in inclement weather, if there's speeding truckers. I wouldn't be too worried though, you should be fine. I did the drive from Philly to Chicago all the time, its really not too bad.

Thanks guys. Greatly appreciate the info.

Live in Pitt and went to Philly twice via US PA (the turnpike). If no snow anticipate 4.25 hours min. You just follow traffic. Don't lead and you will be fine. In snow anticipate it taking 5 hours or more. Its a pretty long treck. Also, Map Quest does not give great directions. You have to take the valley forge exit to get on the Skukill(sp) express way in philadelphia.

BEST!

Rocco