Driving to all of my Fourth Year Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twospadz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has considered doing this. I am near the east coast. I do not want to fly because it is very expensive. I am applying to psychiatry with a step score 227. I feel like I will get in and will not need to apply broadly. Is anybody also just driving or has done this this past for fourth year interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anybody has considered doing this. I am near the east coast. I do not want to fly because it is very expensive. I am applying to psychiatry with a step score 227. I feel like I will get in and will not need to apply broadly. Is anybody also just driving or has done this this past for fourth year interviews?

I applied in Derm from the east coast and drove to ~half of my 16 interviews.

Fly. You waste too much time driving

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know plenty of people that applied to FM or IM and drove to every one very locally. I applied to something more competitive, but was able to drive to 8/10 interviews...but with that being said some of my drives were 7-10 hours. Get some audiobooks and podcasts lined up and it isn't so bad.

Anything fewer than 4 hours away on the East Coast is better to drive. That is about the time it will take you to get to the airport with time to spare, get through security, wait around with your thumb up your ass, actually fly to your location, and go to your hotel.

Anything more than 4 hours and you may want to reconsider.

Anything fewer than 4 hours away on the East Coast is better to drive. That is about the time it will take you to get to the airport with time to spare, get through security, wait around with your thumb up your ass, actually fly to your location, and go to your hotel.

Anything more than 4 hours and you may want to reconsider.

Plus you get ogled naked or full body groped by some sweaty fat tsa creeper that thinks they're a police officer

Reactions: 1 users
Plus you get ogled naked or full body groped by some sweaty fat tsa creeper that thinks they're a police officer
I know it really counts against the driving option!

I mean, I definitely don't like it when they do that at all...I'm not lonely...

This depends on how you end up scheduling your interviews. If you can group them together in a reasonable way (and they aren't in the middle of expected snow season), you should be fine driving.

You could also fly to the one that is farthest away, rent a car, and drive from there to save you some time. On the east coast, trains are also a pretty good option although they are a bit more prone to delays.

This depends on how you end up scheduling your interviews. If you can group them together in a reasonable way (and they aren't in the middle of expected snow season), you should be fine driving.

You could also fly to the one that is farthest away, rent a car, and drive from there to save you some time. On the east coast, trains are also a pretty good option although they are a bit more prone to delays.

I drove to all of my interviews, except for 1. It really wasn't a big deal. They were all within a few hours.

If I could make the drive in 8 hours or less, then I drove to the interview. I wound up driving to about 1/3 of my interviews. I also did some driving after flying in order to get better deals on flights by flying into bigger cities. I would also try to schedule geographically close interviews around the same time so that I could fly into one city and then drive between. I thought the road-trippin' was fun.

I drove to lots of my interviews. I found it a lot more fun than flying. Listened to some great audio books.