twospadz

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was wondering if anybody has considered doing this. I am near the east coast. I do not want to fly because it is very expensive. I am applying to psychiatry with a step score 227. I feel like I will get in and will not need to apply broadly. Is anybody also just driving or has done this this past for fourth year interviews?

username456789

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I was wondering if anybody has considered doing this. I am near the east coast. I do not want to fly because it is very expensive. I am applying to psychiatry with a step score 227. I feel like I will get in and will not need to apply broadly. Is anybody also just driving or has done this this past for fourth year interviews?
I applied in Derm from the east coast and drove to ~half of my 16 interviews.

Donald Juan

7+ Year Member
May 22, 2011
GA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know plenty of people that applied to FM or IM and drove to every one very locally. I applied to something more competitive, but was able to drive to 8/10 interviews...but with that being said some of my drives were 7-10 hours. Get some audiobooks and podcasts lined up and it isn't so bad.

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you live on the east coast and most of your interviews are less than an 8-hour drive away, this is probably feasible.

Quizlet04

7+ Year Member
May 30, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Anything fewer than 4 hours away on the East Coast is better to drive. That is about the time it will take you to get to the airport with time to spare, get through security, wait around with your thumb up your ass, actually fly to your location, and go to your hotel.

Anything more than 4 hours and you may want to reconsider.

Reactions: SierraMist14

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anything fewer than 4 hours away on the East Coast is better to drive. That is about the time it will take you to get to the airport with time to spare, get through security, wait around with your thumb up your ass, actually fly to your location, and go to your hotel.

Anything more than 4 hours and you may want to reconsider.
Plus you get ogled naked or full body groped by some sweaty fat tsa creeper that thinks they're a police officer

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Plus you get ogled naked or full body groped by some sweaty fat tsa creeper that thinks they're a police officer
I know it really counts against the driving option!

I mean, I definitely don't like it when they do that at all...I'm not lonely...

Reactions: Psai

URHere

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This depends on how you end up scheduling your interviews. If you can group them together in a reasonable way (and they aren't in the middle of expected snow season), you should be fine driving.

You could also fly to the one that is farthest away, rent a car, and drive from there to save you some time. On the east coast, trains are also a pretty good option although they are a bit more prone to delays.

AMEHigh

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
This depends on how you end up scheduling your interviews. If you can group them together in a reasonable way (and they aren't in the middle of expected snow season), you should be fine driving.

You could also fly to the one that is farthest away, rent a car, and drive from there to save you some time. On the east coast, trains are also a pretty good option although they are a bit more prone to delays.

I drove to all of my interviews, except for 1. It really wasn't a big deal. They were all within a few hours.

Cinclus

Es un pájaro.
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Behind the waterfall
Status
Attending Physician
If I could make the drive in 8 hours or less, then I drove to the interview. I wound up driving to about 1/3 of my interviews. I also did some driving after flying in order to get better deals on flights by flying into bigger cities. I would also try to schedule geographically close interviews around the same time so that I could fly into one city and then drive between. I thought the road-trippin' was fun.

madchemist89

Chief Derpologist
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I drove to lots of my interviews. I found it a lot more fun than flying. Listened to some great audio books.