Drooling over a dress suit. Is the color too bright for interviews?

mandu_cheeks

5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey there,

I wanted to take advantage of the Nordstrom anniversary sale to purchase my interview suit. I usually never spend more on ~$10-30 on any clothing item, so this will be an opportunity to splurge!

I was drawn to this dress suit (see below), but was worried that the color/fabric might be a little too...bright? Adcoms, would this be appropriate for interviews?

Last edited:
OP
mandu_cheeks

mandu_cheeks

5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2014
Status
aw yiss. do you think the dress cuts off a little too high? I tried it on yesterday and it hits ~2 inches above my knee. Kind of like on this model (see below), but like an inch higher. As long as I stick to low heels, it should be ok, right?

ndafife

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
aw yiss. do you think the dress cuts off a little too high? I tried it on yesterday and it hits ~2 inches above my knee. Kind of like on this model (see below), but like an inch higher. As long as I stick to low heels, it should be ok, right?
I don't see any issue with it as you describe.

A good rule of thumb I've found is, if you wouldn't feel comfortable seeing your mom in it, then don't wear it to a professional setting.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Hey there,

I wanted to take advantage of the Nordstrom anniversary sale to purchase my interview suit. I usually never spend more on ~$10-30 on any clothing item, so this will be an opportunity to splurge!

I was drawn to this dress suit (see below), but was worried that the color/fabric might be a little too...bright? Adcoms, would this be appropriate for interviews?

The color is fine as long as the material is not as shiny as it appears here.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
The color is fine as long as the material is not as shiny as it appears here.
I'm always curious to know a few general fashion rules of thumb (like the shiny one you mentioned). Would be a very useful collection!

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
I think that it is fine but I am the most laissez-faire adcom when it comes to clothing choices for interview.

Reactions: Sardinia
OP
mandu_cheeks

mandu_cheeks

5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2014
Status
Thank you for your input, everyone! I'll buy it now and return it if the suit is too shiny in person.

Mansamusa

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Status
Medical Student
The shininess makes it a little prom dressy/formal evening weary.

Butttttt, wearing something that makes you feel comfortable and powerful can be a huge mental help for your interviewing game. So maybe a little bit of shininess is okay.

Reactions: mandu_cheeks
OP
mandu_cheeks

mandu_cheeks

5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2014
Status
The shininess makes it a little prom dressy/formal evening weary.

Butttttt, wearing something that makes you feel comfortable and powerful can be a huge mental help for your interviewing game. So maybe a little bit of shininess is okay.
Yeah I'm such a huge sucker for shiny, bright things. I figured that I should try to find a happy compromise between what I would want and what the adcoms expect, especially since I'm spending so much money into one outfit :0

I'm hoping that the fabric won't be too shiny. I couldn't find many suits I actually liked while browsing.