Feb 27, 2010
Indiana Hawaii
Status
Pre-Medical
Right now I am taking stats, cell bio, orgo 1 & lab, French 2 and Black literature all 17 credits. I am considering dropping cell biology because I am more than likely going to get below a B- . I have a B+ in orgo, C in orgo lab(1 credit), and an A in the rest my courses. I have a 3.15 cgpa right now and need to bring up my G.P.A so this semester is critical as I plan on applying next summer. I already have 3 Ws on my transcript and was trying to make that my limit (i.e is no more W's) however, If I drop cell, I can probably definitely pull an A in Orgo class. I am only a month away from being done with the semester and because of all the time I spent studying for that class, I just don't want to drop. What do you guys think?

HAART

Removed
Mar 18, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I would drop. People will tell you that 4 W's may be a red flag, and there is the point that you don't want to take too few credits in a semester, but lets be honest: all of those things are secondary to the GPA. GPA will be one of the primary factors in admission and yours needs to be brought up. That's priority number 1.

Feb 27, 2010
Indiana Hawaii
Status
Pre-Medical
I would drop. People will tell you that 4 W's may be a red flag, and there is the point that you don't want to take too few credits in a semester, but lets be honest: all of those things are secondary to the GPA. GPA will be one of the primary factors in admission and yours needs to be brought up. That's priority number 1.
Thank youfor the reply. SDN was really disappointing me with no response. Please anymore resposes?

justdoit31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Your current course load seems like it should be managable... Do you think you could pull up the cell grade to a B+? It really isn't worth it to get a W when you could have a B. I say crack down for the next month and pull the grade up.

Adcom's don't like to see that many W's on the transcript and assuming you are a sophomore/junior you don't want to add to the 3 you already have if you can avoid it.

Dec 13, 2009
Loooziana
Status
Medical Student
the problem is that you decided to take ochem LAB with organic 1. usually people do the lab with organic 2, or after it. if you really can't handle it, then maybe consider dropping something else. i only say that bc cell biology knowledge could come in handy for the MCAT.

17 hrs is a lot, esp with that lab in there, but like the poster above me wrote, see if you can't pull that grade up in cell and orgo lab.

justdoit31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
the problem is that you decided to take ochem LAB with organic 1. usually people do the lab with organic 2, or after it.
Which schools are you refering to? Every school I have ever looked at had Ochem 1 w/ lab and Ochem 2 w/ lab... and at my school you were required to take them together. To apply to medical school you are required to have both Organics with a lab so it makes sense to take them together- our school correlated the lab with lecture (even though you had different profs the syllabuses went together) so you would do labs to reinforce what you were learning in class.

Anyways- Good luck OP- hang in there!

Feb 27, 2010
Indiana Hawaii
Status
Pre-Medical
Which schools are you refering to? Every school I have ever looked at had Ochem 1 w/ lab and Ochem 2 w/ lab... and at my school you were required to take them together. To apply to medical school you are required to have both Organics with a lab so it makes sense to take them together- our school correlated the lab with lecture (even though you had different profs the syllabuses went together) so you would do labs to reinforce what you were learning in class.

Thanks for your help and you are right we have two organic labs however; Some of my friends also have one orgo lab which is a three credit hour class. Im really tryng but this is just overwhelming. I emailed the prof. We ll see what she says tomm.

justdoit31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Organic was really hard for me but I found that going to the profs office hours each week helped! I spent hours in there with him explaining stuff to me and was able to ace exams because of it (and he wrote a LOR for me)

SweetRain

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
You can pass/fail that class also. It doesn't really look good to pass/fail a science class but it might be better than dropping.

Dec 13, 2009
Loooziana
Status
Medical Student

oh didnt know that schools did it like that. at my undergrad, we had ochem 1 and ochem 2, but there was only one lab. thank god. lol