YankeesfanZF5

2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I am concerned with taking human anatomy in undergrad. I heard that it is better to just let the med school teach you how they want to learn it. Also, it is notorious for giving your GPA a hit. So, is it worth it to take Anatomy? Also, could you still get into med school if you had a B in Anatomy but solid practically everywhere else?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
1) I am concerned with taking human anatomy in undergrad. I heard that it is better to just let the med school teach you how they want to learn it. Also, it is notorious for giving your GPA a hit. So, is it worth it to take Anatomy?

2) Also, could you still get into med school if you had a B in Anatomy but solid practically everywhere else?
1) Best to take anatomy in the term immediately prior to attending med school, if at all. It won't help you on the MCAT. If there's too long a gap in time, you won't remember much of it by the time you matriculate to med school.

2) Yes.

About the Ads

Lannister

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
Status
Medical Student
Anatomy won't help you with the MCAT, and it certainly did not help me with med school anatomy.

Reactions: Doctor-S

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I am concerned with taking human anatomy in undergrad. I heard that it is better to just let the med school teach you how they want to learn it. Also, it is notorious for giving your GPA a hit. So, is it worth it to take Anatomy? Also, could you still get into med school if you had a B in Anatomy but solid practically everywhere else?
It's a common pre-med delusion that a B , or C or D in X class will keep you out of med school.

It won't.

While many SDNers state advise not to take Anatomy as a UG, I do recommend it. Well, I'm partial to the subject, after all.

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
It's a common pre-med delusion that a B , or C or D in X class will keep you out of med school.

It won't.

While many SDNers state advise not to take Anatomy as a UG, I do recommend it. Well, I'm partial to the subject, after all.
Well you're gonna see it in med school anyway

Reactions: YankeesfanZF5

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Well you're gonna see it in med school anyway
My reasoning is that even of dollop of material you'll encounter in med school is worth getting into your database and thought processes while in UG. As an example, mastering Anatomy requires you to be able to think and observed in three dimensions. I feel the earlier you acquire this skill, the better, even if only applied to 1/10th of the material.

Lawper

Cat-box cycle
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
forums.studentdoctor.net
My reasoning is that even of dollop of material you'll encounter in med school is worth getting into your database and thought processes while in UG. As an example, mastering Anatomy requires you to be able to think and observed in three dimensions. I feel the earlier you acquire this skill, the better, even if only applied to 1/10th of the material.
Meh some will probably agree. I think this is no different from prestudying, and the time is better spent off doing something useful, like getting more research productivity.

Reactions: Turkishking

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
On SDN the motto is to not to pre-study and in most circumstances and this is basically pre-studying

drlemons

2+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
I took human anatomy very early on and it's been helpful in a broad range of scenarios thus far. It's helped me better understand some concepts in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, etc. and it was an easy A for me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: Verity and Goro

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
On SDN the motto is to not to pre-study and in most circumstances and this is basically pre-studying
You can say that about getting a college education too.

Reactions: Verity

teenyfish

5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2013
Status
Medical Student
If you have the time to take anatomy, I would do it. I took Anatomy & Physiology 1&2 and really enjoyed it. That's part of the reason I knew I might be able to hack it in med school - I actually liked what I was studying and it all made sense to me. n =1 though, up to you.

P0ke

M3
2+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Taking anatomy in undergrad definitely helps you build the scaffolding for med school anatomy, even if you don't necessarily remember all the details.
You'll know the big pictures, the major compartments, and you'll just have to fill in the little things. You'll remember most muscles and their actions. Youll just have to brush up on nerves, arteries, and veins, some bones, origins, insertions.
There's just a lot of big-picture stuff that you'll have locked down and you'll know what you need to study, while everyone else is still learning how to study.

Sort of similar to biochemistry. If you've taken it before you'll know that you need to study the details of Kreb's cycle, glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, but you already know where they fit in the big picture. If you're taking biochem for the first time, you're still learning what the heck all those processes are.

Last edited:

YayPudding

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student
For what it's worth, I had absolutely zero background in anatomy before starting school but have hit my stride and not really struggled with it. That's just me, though.

Reactions: DoctorSwagger

P0ke

M3
2+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
For what it's worth, I had absolutely zero background in anatomy before starting school but have hit my stride and not really struggled with it. That's just me, though.
I'm also not a very fast learner, and I feel like I have to work harder than others to score the same as them, if not lower. I had done several years of post-bac and an SMP so I saw everything beforehand several times and my class rank was pretty high at first, then it steadily went down as the other people caught up and I was like "yup that's why they got in right out of college."

I've studied side-by-side with my friend who is consistently at the top of the class, even though he doesn't study insane amounts. After one pass he can explain everything in depth and I'm just like "damn dude". So seeing stuff beforehand helped in my case to keep up with all the brainiacs. I'd never really seen the difference natural talent can make up until med school because A's in college don't separate the smart people from the geniuses. But in med school that distinction is made, especially in classes graded based on standard deviations from the mean. You learn very quickly where you fit in and how much extra work you'll have to put in, which in my case was pre-loaded before med school.

Last edited:
About the Ads