drop on ur transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxietypeaker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all. I'm gonna end up dropping a class within the next two weeks. The problem is that the deadline already passed. More importantly, it will show on my transcript that i dropped during the 7 or 8th week of classes. How bad is this?

The reason for dropping is pretty good: I have to fly home every weekend to help my family take care of my grandmother.

Regardless, I'm sure the mark wont lock me out of the medical school, but will they frown upon the fact i have "dropped Biology 8th week of classes," and it shows on my transcript. I've ALWAYS been taught that its really bad to have a W or whatever on ur transcript

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by my old advisor (not my pre-med one, so I don't know for sure on this) that, as long as there is a good reason for dropping a class, it should not hurt you when applying for graduate schools. I dropped an advanced speech class because I decided that I didn't want to be a Comm Studies minor anymore, and my advisor told me that was a good reason.

Hopefully, that holds true for medical schools.

I had a few drops my junior year. I was hit by a car when riding my bike and had some memory issues from hitting my head and had to lighten up my courseload. I explained this in my PS and it was never mentioned on an interview as an issue. I think it is paramount that you have a good reason and find a way to work it into your PS.

No biggie, as long as it isn't common. Though you might have wanted to keep that English class.