Drop out of pharmacy school or what is next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Junior9999

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I am currently in P2 in accelerated 3 years programs and just got the email about failing the remediation exam for one course. First of all, I had some problems with Covid staying at home and family tragedy since Feb. I have never been in this situation before (life situation or grade wise). I already sent multiple emails to professors to bump me up just 2 points (1 MCQ) to pass which I have never begged to any professor before in any of my exams. It seems like they don’t care and also some of my friends who are in the same situations as me, did not get the good results either. This is so shocking to me and devastating.

Is there anyone who has the same situations as me or know anyone out there? The question is should I bounce back nicely next year or bail out and find another program? I would not mind working in the retail pharmacy which I will end up anyways or change to another fast program (any medical field program)? I am a non traditional student and all I want for now is finishing up education quickly and working as soon as I can.

Thank you for all advices!

Members don't see this ad.

The job market for pharmacists is so bad that you have people literally asking for donations to help unemployed pharmacists.

The best time to drop out of pharmacy school was before starting. The next best time to drop out is now.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I am currently in P2 in accelerated 3 years programs and just got the email about failing the remediation exam for one course. First of all, I had some problems with Covid staying at home and family tragedy since Feb. I have never been in this situation before (life situation or grade wise). I already sent multiple emails to professors to bump me up just 2 points (1 MCQ) to pass which I have never begged to any professor before in any of my exams. It seems like they don’t care and also some of my friends who are in the same situations as me, did not get the good results either. This is so shocking to me and devastating.

Is there anyone who has the same situations as me or know anyone out there? The question is should I bounce back nicely next year or bail out and find another program? I would not mind working in the retail pharmacy which I will end up anyways or change to another fast program (any medical field program)? I am a non traditional student and all I want for now is finishing up education quickly and working as soon as I can.

Hi! I would not recommend pharmacy. I finished my first year at a top 10 pharmacy school, and after getting experience this past year interning, that for me, it’s not the way to go. Graduates from my school have completed pgy 1 or 2, and still have not gotten anything. Even if you get top grades, get involved, have connections, you’re not promised or guaranteed a job, which I learned. The odds are really stacked against you. My classmates have this rosy idea that they’ll land a residency, despite all the signs on the wall. Faculty have said to us when a student asked , “even with job saturation, you’d still say for us to continue on and get a residency?” The response: “so, pharmacy isn’t what it once was. That’s true. You need to think beyond, and look for opportunities you otherwise might not have thought of before. You might like it!”

In my mind, after doing research, I didn’t want to do retail, nor did I want to do drug informatics, nuclear pharmacy, etc. Even at health fairs, I could feel my heart sink when I watched nursing, optometry, Med students do hands on care directly. Meanwhile, we’re sitting and doing blood glucose readings, some counseling, and that’s it.

I’ve seen 5 different pharmacists come into work in a single week. (All floating). A pharmacy manager quit. Awful. Even in a rural area, pharmacies like Walgreens and cvs are closing.

Personally, I would not be willing to relocate. I’d rather have more control of where I work. So, for me, I won’t continue down this road. And as my friends have advised me also, I would tell others, do not continue with pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I would not recommend pharmacy. I finished my first year at a top 10 pharmacy school, and after getting experience this past year interning, that for me, it’s not the way to go. Graduates from my school have completed pgy 1 or 2, and still have not gotten anything. Even if you get top grades, get involved, have connections, you’re not promised or guaranteed a job, which I learned. The odds are really stacked against you. My classmates have this rosy idea that they’ll land a residency, despite all the signs on the wall. Faculty have said to us when a student asked , “even with job saturation, you’d still say for us to continue on and get a residency?” The response: “so, pharmacy isn’t what it once was. That’s true. You need to think beyond, and look for opportunities you otherwise might not have thought of before. You might like it!”

In my mind, after doing research, I didn’t want to do retail, nor did I want to do drug informatics, nuclear pharmacy, etc. Even at health fairs, I could feel my heart sink when I watched nursing, optometry, Med students do hands on care directly. Meanwhile, we’re sitting and doing blood glucose readings, some counseling, and that’s it.

I’ve seen 5 different pharmacists come into work in a single week. (All floating). A pharmacy manager quit. Awful. Even in a rural area, pharmacies like Walgreens and cvs are closing.

Personally, I would not be willing to relocate. I’d rather have more control of where I work. So, for me, I won’t continue down this road. And as my friends have advised me also, I would tell others, do not continue with pharmacy.
So did you drop out and go into another program? Curious.

Yes, I did drop out! And yes, I applied for an entirely different program.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I'm having the same problem as you. I'm under academic probation and have to repeat my P2 year, but honestly, I really want to drop out. Failed 2 courses because of health reasons and family issues going on. I personally feel like I'm going to be miserable repeating my year with an entirely different class. It's quite embarrassing to explain to people given that I told them I'm on a LOA. I just don't know if it's worth finishing this education and the fact I gave up on med school way too easily. Not sure of its worth just continuing or finding another education.

Last edited:
I would NOT recommend pharmacy as a profession. It simply is not worth the opportunity cost of 4 years plus six figures in student loans.

Anyone going into pharmacy these days has lost their bonkers!

The only places there is a pharmacist shortage is Walgreen's and CVS. That's a lot like saying hell is running short on damned souls.....