Drop with a W

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do schools look on that for major courses like chemistry? My cousin got sick and he was dropping his class grade like crazy since he would do under par on the exams. He does pretty well and I expect him to be competitive for a top 20 med school, but at this rate he says he can not get higher than a B even if he was the highest scorer on every exam. So he wants to know if it'd be okay to drop it.

Members don't see this ad.

youngin said:
How do schools look on that for major courses like chemistry? My cousin got sick and he was dropping his class grade like crazy since he would do under par on the exams. He does pretty well and I expect him to be competitive for a top 20 med school, but at this rate he says he can not get higher than a B even if he was the highest scorer on every exam. So he wants to know if it'd be okay to drop it.

1 W isn't gonna hurt you, neither will 2. He will be fine, though a B isn't a horrible grade.

youngin said:

I took a W in my physical biochem class and retook it in the next year. I don't think it really affected my app that much. So far, no one has even mentioned it in my interviews. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good. I'll tell him. He was really worried about getting into a top 20 comfortably and I didn't know how much it would hurt him at a top school. It's really disappointing for him because he got an A first semester. Then all of a sudden he does extremely bad on the 2nd exam and now has to drop or else accept a blow to his GPA with a B- or lower. But I think he may still bring it up though. BTW what exactly goes into the science gpa?

youngin said:
That's good. I'll tell him. He was really worried about getting into a top 20 comfortably and I didn't know how much it would hurt him at a top school. It's really disappointing for him because he got a 5 on the AP exam in high school and even got an A first semester. Then all of a sudden he does extremely bad on the 2nd exam and now has to drop or else accept a blow to his GPA with a B or lower. But I think he may still bring it up though, he does have a 3.675 for science gpa if he got a B and didn't drop, so I wasn't sure if he should drop or not. BTW what exactly goes into the science gpa? He had a lot of classes at community college and extra math classes that I never took so i don't know how tthat other stuff gets counted in.

Your AMCAS science GPA, or "BCPM" GPA includes:

B: biology
C: chemistry
P: physics
M: math

I think your friend should just bust his tail and get that B--it would save him alot of time and allow him to drop a class in the future if he needs to.

Good luck :luck:

-tx

youngin said:

If your cousin was sick during the course, like really sick where it had cause to affect his school performance. He can drop the class without a W and there will be no notation on his transcript.

I have a heart condition and became ill this semester and dropped half my classes just last week and I was able to drop without a W or notation.

Goodluck!

icebrat001 said:
If your cousin was sick during the course, like really sick where it had cause to affect his school performance. He can drop the class without a W and there will be no notation on his transcript.

I have a heart condition and became ill this semester and dropped half my classes just last week and I was able to drop without a W or notation.

Goodluck!

I don't think he would be sick enough. Plus he didn't even go to the doctor's office so he wouldn't have a note like I told him he should have so it wouldn't matter for him now. I'll show it to him and he can decide.