Dropout rate from medschool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shahalam

brownmedstudent
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this belongs in Allo, but I was wondering what the national average was for dropout from medical school. I am just curious so dont tell me i shouldnt be going to med school! :)

Members don't see this ad.

shahalam said:
I'm not sure if this belongs in Allo, but I was wondering what the national average was for dropout from medical school. I am just curious so dont tell me i shouldnt be going to med school! :)

my school told us at orientation that only about 1-2 of us out of 165 would not finish in 4 years.

very much a relief

i really thought no one can drop out...they dont let you..do they?
and the people who dont make it ..they make it in 5(which means yr off between MS2 and MS3)...right?

Members don't see this ad :)
DieselPetrolGrl said:
very much a relief

and the people who dont make it ..they make it in 5(which means yr off between MS2 and MS3)...right?

I actually think they meant that only 1-2 of us would drop out without getting the MD... sorry about that.

They do let you quit by the way, its not like they have a gun to your head and force you to show up everyday. But it was comforting for us to know that 99% of the class would earn the MD.

DieselPetrolGrl said:
very much a relief

hmmm...i thought you gave up on this board. sorry, i realized i never answered your e-mail. :oops: but i haven't been around here much either.

DieselPetrolGrl said:
very much a relief

I only know from the perspective of one school, but they really go out of their way to get everybody through. People DO get kicked out, but if you're really trying they always give you a second chance. And a lot of schools have an extended curriculum, so people who are either struggling in the first year or who have other issues come up can turn the first 2 years into 3 years, so they finish in 5 years but it's continuous school (no time off). It just means they have fewer courses at a time. At least at the school I know about, they don't make you pay the extra year's worth of tuition, either. So that's a good deal. And if you fail a course, you can either remediate it or take it over (depending on how badly you fail). If you fail a few courses you can usuallly take them over; they might put you on probation or something.

Of course, all of this might look bad when you're applying for residencies. If you have to repeat courses it will show up on your transcript. But certainly people do this and still end up matching; they might have to be a bit less picky about where they want to go, though. Also, if you get a good board score and stellar evaluations in 3rd and 4th years it can overshadow mistakes made in the first two years.

this is awesome. basically once you are in, you will get an MD. how cool. :)

In my class (out of 111): One student was repeating their first year because they marginally passed two classes. Two students left prior to the end of orientation. One student was involved in an accident and will try again next year. Finally, one more student didn’t do so hot even after classes where taken away. Therefore, they were told go home, rest up, and try again the following Fall.

Fail one class and you can repeat it over the summer.

Fail two exams and you repeat your entire first year over gain

Fail three exams and you are done

Catch: If you are doing poorly, it will be noticed fairly early in the year. Classes will be taken away so the max you can fail the first go around is only two (as you will only have two classes left). Therefore, worst case scenario you repeat the year over gain. Still not up to par, then medical school probably just is not for you

callendm said:
In my class (out of 111): One student was repeating their first year because they marginally passed two classes. Two students left prior to the end of orientation. One student was involved in an accident and will try again next year. Finally, one more student didn’t do so hot even after classes where taken away. Therefore, they were told go home, rest up, and try again the following Fall.

Fail one class and you can repeat it over the summer.

Fail two exams and you repeat your entire first year over gain

Fail three exams and you are done

Catch: If you are doing poorly, it will be noticed fairly early in the year. Classes will be taken away so the max you can fail the first go around is only two (as you will only have two classes left). Therefore, worst case scenario you repeat the year over gain. Still not up to par, then medical school probably just is not for you

what do you mean by "accident and will try again next year". (Just curios) Academic accident, physical, emotional?

Most schools try to get everyone thru. There are some exceptions, though. I thought I heard that Northwestern asked about 10-15 people to leave last year. If that's true, I think it's aweful. Med schools get great people - they should see them through.

gary5 said:
Most schools try to get everyone thru. There are some exceptions, though. I thought I heard that Northwestern asked about 10-15 people to leave last year. If that's true, I think it's aweful. Med schools get great people - they should see them through.
proof?

A student at the University of Toronto had this to say about the subject:

"There's only 2 ways out of med school here- either you pass or you die"
he was serious

I'd say that things are much more school dependent than this thread currently suggests...there are other threads on this subject in which the respondents were not nearly as positive. Certainly there are schools that are remarkable in the level of effort that is put into keeping students there and getting them to pass; certainly there are schools that are not so active/proactive.

dc