1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Dropped MCAT...next step?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by sbuxaddict, Aug 10, 2011.

1. sbuxaddict

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi everyone,

I'd like some advice about how to proceed in this cycle.

gGPA: 3.66
    sGPA: 3.57

Fairly certain my LORs are strong (committee gave me the highest rec), and consistent ECs/clinical experience.

I'm already verified with AMCAS, and complete at UMDNJ-NJMS. I've submitted my primary to UMDNJ-RWJ, and the new Cooper med school.

I took the MCAT last summer with a 26Q: 8VR, 9PS, 9BS
    I retook it this summer with practice averages ranging from 30-32..and got a 24Q: 9VR, 7PS (WTF), 8BS.

I'm really shocked at that score, given the practice exams and how much time I spent. But what's done is done, I guess.

Should I bother continuing in this cycle? It's too late for DO because I haven't even started the application. I was really thinking I had a decent shot at state schools until I got my MCAT score.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ravupadh

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wouldn't say it's too late for DO. They tend to verify apps faster than AMCAS. October is late for DO.

4. music2doc

music2doc Student of Mad Doctoring
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some DO schools will take applications into the New Year. Don't wait until then, but do know you're not too late for DO. Good luck.

5. KnicksAreBack

Pre-Medical
    Are you taking the MCAT again this year? I actually found that the D.O. application took longer to get verified but I don't think it's too late. You might want to find a D.O. to shadow though, many schools want a letter from one

6. Total180

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know I am just an n of 1, but I didn't even submit my AACOMAS until the end of October, and I received 3 DO interviews (out of 4 schools I applied to), was waitlisted at 2 and accepted at 1. My stats weren't great either 26 MCAT 3.55cum, 3.3sgpa. It definitely is not too late to submit your ACCOMAS. I know DCOM just now sent out interview invites for the first interview date which is Sept 13th. The drop from 26 to 24 is going to work against you though, but you probably still have a chance if you get your apps done early. If you really want to matriculate next year I would definitely apply broadly for DO. You can also obviously keep the finished app for UMDNJ and see if that works out. If you are set on MD you are going to have to take the MCAT again and apply next year.

7. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Some schools look at the best subscores from multiple tests, which gives you a 27. You might call your state schools and confirm their current policy. Here is an old list you might look at before you call around to confirm current policy at schools you'd like to target: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=566616

That said, it seems your current score was a fluke based on your practice scores. You could give consideration to a retake as soon as you can get a seat nearby. It's not impossible to get an MD acceptance after becoming complete in mid September. You can go back into the AMCAS application and change the date of your last planned MCAT date if you decide to do this, so schools will wait on the next score before considering your file.